• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Weapon/ Gear Set-up Woes

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
On the verge of Quadruple Rank Down, My set-ups are not working like it use to. What is Wrong with them?

Set-up #1 :ability_lastditcheffort::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: :ability_runspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: :ability_bombsniffer::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

Set-up #2 :ability_openinggambit::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: :ability_ninjasquid::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: :ability_bombsniffer::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Well, first off, what gun are you using?

Secondly, your abilities seem a bit all over the place.

Opening gambit/last ditch effort aren't always that useful. Especially opening gambit. Even with the buffs to these abilities, you are probably better off picking something that will give you a constant benefit on one of your most needed abilities (ink efficiency or speed).

Ink saver sub is good on some weapons, but unless you stack between 6 subs and two mains, I can't see it helping you too much. It depends on what sub you are using.

Bomb sniffer is good, especially with the buffs. But, I'd stack at least another three defense subs if you want defense to be useful outside of an occasional extra hit against a tentatek.

Ninja squid without ANY swim speed seems like a big no-no. You will be so slow that even if they can't see you they will many times be able to hit you with shots because you couldn't swim away fast enough. You probably need at least 3 subs of swim speed. I like to run three subs and one main, so that I actually get a slight speed buff.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
You definitely want ink saver and ink recovery for the jet squelchers and splattershot pros. They pro especially uses a lot of ink.

One damage up main (or three subs) helps splat people at extreme ranges with both weapons. The (C)JS needs it more so than the pro, as one damage main gets it to 33.3 damage with each hit, which can steal a 3 hit splat here and there. Damage also helps with burst bombs, so one dmg up main and one sub is usually minimum for the CJS.

I'd also invest in some swim speed up gear. You need to be able to retreat and re-position quickly with both of these guns, so swim speed is vital. Spacing is really important for both of these weapons and swim speed helps you keep that space.

Defense is good on the pro as you outrange almost everyone, so sometimes having an extra shot before you die allows you to splat foes that you have trouble getting a bead on. But you don't need to go this route.

For reference, here is what I use for these weapons:
Jet Squelcher
Studio Headphones :head_hdp000::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
Part Time Pirate :clothes_tly007: :ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
I play this gun as pure support. I stand in the back and cover things from a distance and never get up close and personal. The special duration reduces the end animation for ink strikes.

CJS
Snorkel Mask :head_eye005::ability_damage:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_damage:
White Shirt :clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
I play this gun with more versatility. I usually stay in the back like with the vanilla, but I can hold my own up close with burst bombs and krakens. One of the best guns in the game, for sure. Like I said before, one damage main and one sub gets you a splat with one burst bomb and one bullet. So that helps in close quarter situations.

Splattershot Pro (all variants)
Studio Headphones :head_hdp000::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
White Shirt :clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
(I didn't realize this was a combination of the two until just now)
I play the splattershots pretty aggressive, but I like to paint a lot too...so a lot of ink saver for this gun. Special duration helps with all specials (an extra second for inkzooka and bomb rush, and less end animation for ink strike).
From the gear you've listed, I can see maybe the headgear from the first set being ok. I'd probably go for more ink saver main and more speed though. Like I said before, you can definitely go the defense route, especially with the pro. Get some speed, defense, and ink saver main and you're golden.

Lightweight Cap :head_cap001: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Baby Jelly Shirt :clothes_shirt007: :ability_defenseup:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Pro-Trail Boots:shoes_trs002::ability_bombsniffer:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
That's a pretty good set there.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Just chipping in that I find ink saver main to be debatably useful for these ink-hungry weapons. From my experiences, one main ability or equivalent provides roughly 1 additional second of firing time. It's a bit exponential though, ramping up if you use more.

Outside of that, SupaTim's advice is on the ball.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Just chipping in that I find ink saver main to be debatably useful for these ink-hungry weapons. From my experiences, one main ability or equivalent provides roughly 1 additional second of firing time. It's a bit exponential though, ramping up if you use more.

Outside of that, SupaTim's advice is on the ball.
Yeah, I used to be HUGE into ink saver main, but after I got more experience in the game I noticed that ink recovery seemed to work better. However, on these ink hungry weapons I find that ink saver lets me have more ink after tossing a sub, which is mainly what I need ink saver now. I used to use it on everything, now I use more ink recovery and movement buffs. But I still like it on the pro, for sure.

I think it is a good point that you shouldn't rely too heavily on ink saver. If I had to choose between ink recovery or ink saver, I'd probably go ink recovery.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
I'll be honest, I've never been able to find a really good set-up for the N-ZAP '89. I normally only use it during Splatfest, but i've been trying to use it outside of it to improve my aim.

What I use for it is this:
:ability_specialcharge:/:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_specialsaver:/:ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain:
:ability_inkresistance:/:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

It's pretty well rounded, i would think.
I play fast, but I don't really think that my usual "Cram all of your :ability_runspeed:/:ability_swimspeed:'s you own into your gear" as i do with my baby Sploosh-o won't do much.

EDIT: pissed that 2x now I rolled this (i hate Inkline/:ability_defenseup: and want to roll 2x of ANYTHING else.) it's ruining my Chie Jacket.
:clothes_jkt000: :ability_recon:/:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I'll be honest, I've never been able to find a really good set-up for the N-ZAP '89. I normally only use it during Splatfest, but i've been trying to use it outside of it to improve my aim.

What I use for it is this:
:ability_specialcharge:/:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_specialsaver:/:ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain:
:ability_inkresistance:/:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

It's pretty well rounded, i would think.
I play fast, but I don't really think that my usual "Cram all of your :ability_runspeed:/:ability_swimspeed:'s you own into your gear" as i do with my baby Sploosh-o won't do much.

EDIT: pissed that 2x now I rolled this (i hate Inkline/:ability_defenseup: and want to roll 2x of ANYTHING else.) it's ruining my Chie Jacket.
:clothes_jkt000: :ability_recon:/:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Actually, "Sanic" Nzaps are a pain in the a**. They are pretty efficient. Have a great fire-rate. Good coverage. With the buffs a bit ago they even splat pretty fast. Trying to get a bead on a Sanic nzap can be REALLY frustrating.

If you don't want to go that route, maybe go special duration, so that you get the end animation from inkstrike to be really short. You can almost set off an inkstriked in the middle of battle if you stack a lot of special duration. With three mains there is literally NO end animation. You still have to be careful because you still are vulnerable as you are looking down to fire it off, but you will go back to normal right away.

This made me want to put something together...
Stealth Goggles :head_met002: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
White Inky Rider (no picture) :ability_specialduration:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
White Kicks :shoes_lts000::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
I think I already did this for the Wasabi, but it works for the NZap too...one main and three subs of special duration make the ending animation of inkstrike only a fraction of a second.

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
You definitely want ink saver and ink recovery for the jet squelchers and splattershot pros. They pro especially uses a lot of ink.

One damage up main (or three subs) helps splat people at extreme ranges with both weapons. The (C)JS needs it more so than the pro, as one damage main gets it to 33.3 damage with each hit, which can steal a 3 hit splat here and there. Damage also helps with burst bombs, so one dmg up main and one sub is usually minimum for the CJS.

I'd also invest in some swim speed up gear. You need to be able to retreat and re-position quickly with both of these guns, so swim speed is vital. Spacing is really important for both of these weapons and swim speed helps you keep that space.

Defense is good on the pro as you outrange almost everyone, so sometimes having an extra shot before you die allows you to splat foes that you have trouble getting a bead on. But you don't need to go this route.

For reference, here is what I use for these weapons:
Jet Squelcher
Part Time Pirate :clothes_tly007: :ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
I play this gun as pure support. I stand in the back and cover things from a distance and never get up close and personal. The special duration reduces the end animation for ink strikes.

CJS
Snorkel Mask :head_eye005::ability_damage:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_damage:
I play this gun with more versatility. I usually stay in the back like with the vanilla, but I can hold my own up close with burst bombs and krakens. One of the best guns in the game, for sure. Like I said before, one damage main and one sub gets you a splat with one burst bomb and one bullet. So that helps in close quarter situations.

Splattershot Pro (all variants)
(I didn't realize this was a combination of the two until just now)
I play the splattershots pretty aggressive, but I like to paint a lot too...so a lot of ink saver for this gun. Special duration helps with all specials (an extra second for inkzooka and bomb rush, and less end animation for ink strike).
From the gear you've listed, I can see maybe the headgear from the first set being ok. I'd probably go for more ink saver main and more speed though. Like I said before, you can definitely go the defense route, especially with the pro. Get some speed, defense, and ink saver main and you're golden.

Lightweight Cap :head_cap001: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Baby Jelly Shirt :clothes_shirt007: :ability_defenseup:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Pro-Trail Boots:shoes_trs002::ability_bombsniffer:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
That's a pretty good set there.

Thanks for the advice, and I almost have my new set-up:

Rank Battle Set-up (In Progress): :head_ncp001: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_quickrespawn:, clothes_vest000:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_unknown::ability_unknown:, :shoes_trs002::ability_bombsniffer:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Thanks for the advice, and I almost have my new set-up:

Rank Battle Set-up (In Progress): :head_ncp001: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_quickrespawn:, clothes_vest000:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_unknown::ability_unknown:, :shoes_trs002::ability_bombsniffer:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Looks solid. Totally forgot that the short beanie was inkline. Mine rolled something random but useful, so I kept it.

Hopefully it works well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom