Weapon ideas (main, sub and special!)

Glen W

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DeadbirdBlack
I like your chain gun idea? maybe as a special you just stand then shooting rapid fire with a lot of power an range.. in the typical Huge mini gun style you see in films, with minimum movement possible, just spread from left to right.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
Yeah, that was what I was thinking, though now I'm picturing it, it'd be functionally not that dissimilar for just using a high pressure hose... would make it more kid friendly that way too. I'd imagine it being fairly inaccurate so other players can get into cover, and perhaps having only a certain arc of fire so you don't just spin around and cover everywhere, but giving a good area in front; able to hit almost all a splat zone just not dealing well with cover like bomb rush..

Last edited:

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yeah, that was what I was thinking, though now I'm picturing it, it'd be functionally not that dissimilar for just using a high pressure hose... would make it more kid friendly that way too. I'd imagine it being fairly inaccurate so other players can get into cover, and perhaps having only a certain arc of fire so you don't just spin around and cover everywhere, but giving a good area in front; able to hit almost all a splat zone just not dealing well with cover like bomb rush..
Yeah, that sounds great. Not sure why Nintendo didn't add it in already, it's a good counterpoint to the Inkzooka and, as you said, a high-pressure ink-hose is probably kid-friendly.
Although instead of being inaccurate, maybe it could just be fairly weak with a very wide spray? Or was that what you meant.

Earlier in the thread I suggested an Ink Line tether which you could throw to give you a (fairly unsafe) climbing tool. I couldn't think of a good way to use sponges, though now you've mentioned it they could be good as mobile cover, and helping traversal; though obviously much slower, and reducing in size if it's hit by enemy ink.
These are also good ideas, though I do have a question: Would the sponge just land on the floor, or could it stick to walls as well. And would it only last for, say, 6-7 seconds (roughly like a Splash Wall that doesn't get shot), or would it last until you get splatted?

That's quite alright, we all have our different play styles so people come up with different ideas. I like short range + bomb rush, especially for zones as you can run ahead and cut off the supply lines while giving you a way to solo capture the zone (bomb rush with 1 range up normally lets you do it from the front lines, 2 range ups are needed on certain maps), but the Splat-O-Matic already covers that (with suction bombs no less), so having a different strategy would help it stand out. Seeker Rush is pretty nice after all.
That's kinda how I play too, except with Sprinkler/Inkstrike instead of Bomb Rush (N-Zap '89). I've always had more trouble with Chargers than Inkbrushes, personally (though that might just be because I don't see many Inkbrushes online), but I could see where they could be problematic (is it the speed? Because my only problem with them was getting ambushed, and that's just because I tend to rush right into them).
And is Seeker Rush good? I never found a good place to use it in Octo Valley (not that I was looking, and Bomb Rush just seemed substandard in that mode compared to Inkzooka/Bubbler), but maybe it's better on the multiplayer levels. It seems like it could be nice on some levels (Port Mackerel, Walleye, maybe Arowana, and possibly Bluefin and Moray to toss down into the center), but I dunno.

As for main weapons I'd like to see an Air-Brush as a flamethrower type weapon, great for bushing forward in Towers but fairly inefficient, not super powerful and can be killed from a distance. Basically a weapon that has great support potential, but looses or trades 1-on-1.
That could work, if it hit very rapidly and had, I dunno, between-Splattershot-and-Jr.-range (more and it's tough to splat it from a distance, less and it might as well be a Splash-O-Matic). Sounds very specialized toward inking turf, like a forward-reaching Inkbrush-gun. I like it.

Last edited:

MuteBard

Inkster Jr.
Would be nice to have a splatterscope type charger with beakons. Yes one of the E-liter has them but i find the the splatter chargers much more comfortable. I prefer mid range combat with the splatterscope than sniping from afar with an e-liter. As for the special, im ok with anything but killer wail.

Glen W

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DeadbirdBlack
I touched on this kind of idea as a overcharge mode that was shareable with team mates in the same fashion as the bubbler but maybe more of an infinity ink tank for the duration of the special, it would have to be linked to a weapon with high ink usage i guess

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I'd like to see a weapon with damage falloff. Give it mid/long range with a good fire rate, but the catch is that it deals decreased damage the farther away it hits from. So it'd be a somewhat flexible weapon that excels at close range but still has options at long range too.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
I'd like to see a weapon with damage falloff. Give it mid/long range with a good fire rate, but the catch is that it deals decreased damage the farther away it hits from. So it'd be a somewhat flexible weapon that excels at close range but still has options at long range too.
That's actually really easy to do. I need to add that to my custom Aerospray Pro :\ There's a specific param - mDamageMinFrame, if your blob hits that number of frames after being shot, it'll inflict mDamageMin. I assume in between 0 and that, it decreases from mDamageMax to Min.

ZestyN

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ZestyN
I always liked the idea of having F.L.U.D.D. as a defensive option. It wouldn't spread ink like traditional weapons (only way you could spread ink is by splatting opponents), but it could clean up the opponents ink. It would add limited vertical movement (like in Sunshine), so you could get up walls, and help you move somewhat faster so swimming isn't needed seeing that you can't swim in water. Not sure how to fill it up, need some help with that.

It's a rough idea, but I like to think that it has potential.

mewtheed

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mewtheed
Here's a sub I just imagined :

The Baitfish

A small fish that you can throw on the ground where it will swim at random in your team ink and create thin inkbrush sized trails in enemy ink.
It won't attack opponents but can trick them into thinking that there's an enemy swimming around and either distract them, lure them away, or drag them in an ambush. It is invisible and can swim as fast as a squid in your ink and is visible and slightly slowed down in enemy ink.
It will keep swimming around the map and will only disappear if shot by an enemy.
Consumes about 60-70% of ink tank.

ZestyN

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ZestyN

The Baitfish

A small fish that you can throw on the ground where it will swim at random in your team ink and create thin inkbrush sized trails in enemy ink.
It won't attack opponents but can trick them into thinking that there's an enemy swimming around and either distract them, lure them away, or drag them in an ambush. It is invisible and can swim as fast as a squid in your ink and is visible and slightly slowed down in enemy ink.
It will keep swimming around the map and will only disappear if shot by an enemy.
This is my favorite so far.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys

The Baitfish

Yeah, that sounds very useful. Can it deal damage on its own, though (like if you touch an enemy Baitfish)?

And here's a few ideas, since they're teasing something Octoling-related right now:
The Octoshot. The gun Octolings use, slightly modified for use in Turf Wars. It has the spread of a Splattershot, but it has a faster fire rate (not too much faster) and is a 3-shot splat unless you have 3 Defense Ups, but its ink efficiency is very bad. Its sub is Splat Bombs, and its special is Bomb Rush. This is a very combat-focused gun, meant to use its great firepower and semi-fast fire rate for close combat and throw Splat Bombs and Bomb Rush at farther-off enemies; its turf-covering ability is alright too, but its main downfall is its very high ink consumption combined with the costly Splat Bomb sub.
The Cuttlegear Octoshot. Cap'n Cuttlefish found an Octoshot lying around and tinkered with it for a while, coming out with... a regular Octoshot, but with Burst Bombs and Bubbler! This is a much more well-rounded Octoshot; it still has the benefits and drawbacks of the regular Octoshot's rapid-fire, but uses Burst Bombs to soften up foes and ink smallish areas quickly and can break out Bubbler to guarantee your ambush goes well (yeah, your weapons are fairly strong, but the other guy might have a Blaster or something) or if you find yourself under attack (or just want to pass it to your teammates).
The Elite Octoshot. An Octoshot modified by the Octarians, used only by the best Octolings (or ones who think seaweed is a good hair accessory). It's like a regular Octoshot, but wrapped in seaweed; it has the range of a Splattershot Pro, but the spread and fire rate of a regular Splattershot, and the power of a standard Octoshot, but even worse ink efficiency. Its sub is Splat Bombs, and its special is Killer Wail. It's a bit different from the Octoshot in terms of abilities, but it functions fairly similarly in practice; use the primary fire for close-to-mid-range combat, Splat Bombs for mid-to-long-range, and Killer Wails for long-range attacks and to force enemies away from areas. Its biggest problem is that it is extremely ink-hungry.
The Wasabi Roller. A hot new roller! Its rolling speed is surprising, and its fling reaches pretty far, but its size leaves something to be desired. It has a bit less size than most Rollers (it's roughly Octobrush-size, if that helps), and its fling is very forward with little spread (like an anti-Inkbrush, if that helps picture it), but it moves as fast as a Carbon Roller, does a little more damage than a Splat Roller with its fling (and is a 1-hit splat while rolling), and has as much range on its fling as a Dynamo Roller (but again, it has next to no sideways spread, mostly throwing ink a long distance forward) and its ink efficiency is roughly that of an Octobrush while rolling and a Dynamo Roller while flinging (so, highish all around, but mostly while flinging). Its sub is the Disruptor, and its special is the Echolocator. This is a very strange Roller, kind of more like an Inkbrush in terms of size, but it's very powerful; Disruptors help deal with its linearity by slowing opponents so you can swing at them more easily, and Echolocator is there to support your teammates by showing enemy locations, but is also useful for the instant refill it provides. Its main weaknesses are its ink consumption being highish and its lack of width on its swings.
The Squidforce Wasabi Roller. Top gear brand Squidforce worked with Octarian weapon designers to create this new Wasabi Roller, with Splash Walls and Bubbler. This version of the Wasabi Roller is good for different aspects of combat than the original; whereas the original preferred long-range combat and using Disruptors to ambush more easily, the Squidforce version can throw down a Splash Wall to hide behind, or just toss it into a chokepoint, and fling ink in relative safety, allowing it to engage multiple enemies, if only briefly. Bubbler adds to its safe-ness by granting brief invincibility (and pushback, but the long range makes that acceptable), and you can pass it to your allies as well. The Squidforce Wasabi Roller trades easy splats via ambushes for the ability to take on multiple foes from the safety of sitting behind a Splash Wall or inside a Bubbler.
The Seaweed Scope. A Charger thrown together by the Octarians from spare parts and seaweed. How seaweed is able to keep the scope in place is a secret to everyone. Its range is roughly halfway between Squiffer and Splatterscope, its power is identical to the Splat Charger, but it charges a bit slower than a Squiffer and its ink efficiency is a bit worse than the E-Liter (so, very high). Its sub is the Suction Bomb, and its special is Bomb Rush. This Charger is meant for quick sniping, getting a couple of splats in a few seconds before going to a new vantage point; Suction Bombs let you force enemies out of hiding to snipe more easily, while Suction Bomb Rush lets you cover large areas quickly and attack from behind cover. Its main problems are its poor ink efficiency, its not-that-great range for a Charger, and the Scope narrowing your vision when you look down it.
The Custom Seaweed Scope. Sheldon did his best to upgrade the Seaweed Scope, but all he could do was add Sprinklers and the Kraken to it. This is an oddball among Chargers: it can use Sprinklers to cover sizable areas in a fairly short period, and use the Kraken to attack at close range or escape ambush attempts. It's more balanced between combat and inking than the original, and it's definitely safer from ambushes thanks to the Kraken, but it lacks any way to get to enemies hiding behind cover.
The Octo Nozzlenose. A strange-looking weapon apparently based on the Dreaded Octonozzle. Tapping the trigger shoots a small ink-ball straight down to the ground that rolls forward, going to about Splat Charger range if not stopped, but will be stopped if it hits a wall or an enemy, and is a 3-shot splat on its own unless you have more than 1 Defense Up, and costs roughly 4% of your ink tank with each shot. Holding the trigger does not rapid-fire (though you can get something similar by tapping rapidly); instead, holding it for 1.5 seconds (any less and you just get a normal shot), then releasing it shoots a large ink-ball that works like the small one, but rolls to E-Liter 3K Scope range (so, really far), will only be stopped by a wall or invincible enemy (or a Splash Wall, but it destroys that on contact) and is a guaranteed 1-shot splat, regardless of Defense Ups, but costs 40% of your ink tank per shot. Its sub is the Sprinkler, and its special is Inkstrike. This weapon is... very, very strange; its shots roll along the ground, so you have nothing against opponents on a higher elevation, but in exchange you have probably the most potent turf-covering weapon possible: its shots roll along the ground, covering with your team's ink the whole way, strategically-deployed Sprinklers can cover large areas quickly and build your special gauge at ludicrous speed, and Inkstrikes are good for covering faraway areas. Its flaws are fairly obvious: while its ink consumption is alright (unless you try spamming charged shots), it lacks any way to attack higher elevations outside of Inkstrikes, or any way to fire over cover (again, outside of Inkstrikes).
The Cuttlefish Octo Nozzlenose. Cap'n Cuttlefish worked tirelessly (between crabby-cake breaks) to bring you a better Octo Nozzlenose, but in the end he only changed its loadout to Burst Bombs and Bomb Rush. This version of the Octo Nozzlenose doesn't cover turf as quickly as the original, but in exchange it is more mobile and able to attack vertically, both using Burst Bombs (throw them at walls to create a path to swim up, or throw them at high-up enemies to splatter them); in addition, Burst Bomb Rush lets you do both of these things more quickly (since you won't run out for a bit), but also lets you cover areas quickly by throwing a bunch of bombs around. It's a more combat-capable and mobile weapon, but it won't cover turf as quickly.

Not sure if any of those were good ideas, but here they are.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
Yeah, that sounds great. Not sure why Nintendo didn't add it in already, it's a good counterpoint to the Inkzooka and, as you said, a high-pressure ink-hose is probably kid-friendly.
Although instead of being inaccurate, maybe it could just be fairly weak with a very wide spray? Or was that what you meant.

These are also good ideas, though I do have a question: Would the sponge just land on the floor, or could it stick to walls as well. And would it only last for, say, 6-7 seconds (roughly like a Splash Wall that doesn't get shot), or would it last until you get splatted?

That's kinda how I play too, except with Sprinkler/Inkstrike instead of Bomb Rush (N-Zap '89). I've always had more trouble with Chargers than Inkbrushes, personally (though that might just be because I don't see many Inkbrushes online), but I could see where they could be problematic (is it the speed? Because my only problem with them was getting ambushed, and that's just because I tend to rush right into them).
And is Seeker Rush good? I never found a good place to use it in Octo Valley (not that I was looking, and Bomb Rush just seemed substandard in that mode compared to Inkzooka/Bubbler), but maybe it's better on the multiplayer levels. It seems like it could be nice on some levels (Port Mackerel, Walleye, maybe Arowana, and possibly Bluefin and Moray to toss down into the center), but I dunno.

That could work, if it hit very rapidly and had, I dunno, between-Splattershot-and-Jr.-range (more and it's tough to splat it from a distance, less and it might as well be a Splash-O-Matic). Sounds very specialized toward inking turf, like a forward-reaching Inkbrush-gun. I like it.
1. Wide Spray with fairly good damage per hit but they spread fairly wildly so you won't be hit too often.
2. I was thinking the sponge be a more permanent thing give it's growing and shrinking, and you having to blow it up, the splash wall does well enough as a temporary cover.
3. Chargers can be an issue, but I'm normally pretty good at dodging and getting close as long as I know they're there. Ink-brushes just out damage me by too much, so unless I really catch them by surprise I'm scuppered; SoM isn't much longer range so they only have to dodge one or two hits to get in and kill me, often without dying themselves, and since they spray so wide I can't dodge them very effectively either. The N-Zap's decently long range so you have it a little easier than SoM's against them.
4. Seeker rush creates great pressure and can cover corridors great, it's not out yet so it may not be as good as it seems, but it can cause a large area to focus on dodging which is always good for a shotgun. I'm not really comfortable speculating, because as you said Octovalley is a bit different, but I hazard it will be good for close range weapons if nothing else.
5. Yeah, basically my thoughts, I've been playing more ranked so I was thinking about it for team synergy, but in turf wars it would play like you say, but having to be used more sparingly as it uses ink faster.

I've thought of another Super, thanks to team fortress and a few of the matches I had today for the idea:

Camouflage: Changes the user's colour temporarily for the opposing team, making them look like allies to the enemy, and allowing them to swim in the opposing colour's ink. You'll still keep your name and you'll shoot your own teams ink so you can be spotted if you're not careful, but if you're sneaky you can catch them out and get some quick unexpected kills, or simply make them paranoid.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
1. Wide Spray with fairly good damage per hit but they spread fairly wildly so you won't be hit too often.
2. I was thinking the sponge be a more permanent thing give it's growing and shrinking, and you having to blow it up, the splash wall does well enough as a temporary cover.
3. Chargers can be an issue, but I'm normally pretty good at dodging and getting close as long as I know they're there. Ink-brushes just out damage me by too much, so unless I really catch them by surprise I'm scuppered; SoM isn't much longer range so they only have to dodge one or two hits to get in and kill me, often without dying themselves, and since they spray so wide I can't dodge them very effectively either. The N-Zap's decently long range so you have it a little easier than SoM's against them.
4. Seeker rush creates great pressure and can cover corridors great, it's not out yet so it may not be as good as it seems, but it can cause a large area to focus on dodging which is always good for a shotgun. I'm not really comfortable speculating, because as you said Octovalley is a bit different, but I hazard it will be good for close range weapons if nothing else.
5. Yeah, basically my thoughts, I've been playing more ranked so I was thinking about it for team synergy, but in turf wars it would play like you say, but having to be used more sparingly as it uses ink faster.
1) Oh, so like a long-range Aerospray? Presumably it would get all of the hits if you were close, yeah?
2) Well, that sounds interesting. Would it go away if you threw another one though? Seems a tiny bit overpowered otherwise (I can see covering ever bit of turf your team has in Sponges so the enemy team can't re-cover them otherwise, probably not a viable option but certainly should be considered).
3) True, I have a bit more range, but that doesn't really matter at ambush range. I think I see your point now, thanks.
And Chargers generally give me trouble because I can't reach them to splat them (or at least I can't before they snipe me).
Also, do you mean Splash-O-Matic or Sploosh-O-Matic? I just want to know how much less range you have to work with, just curious.
4) So it'll be good for the Carbon Roller, soon to be the only weapon with Seeker Rush? Because it sounds that way.
5) Well, the airbrush would definitely work as you described it, to be sure.

I've thought of another Super, thanks to team fortress and a few of the matches I had today for the idea:

Camouflage: Changes the user's colour temporarily for the opposing team, making them look like allies to the enemy, and allowing them to swim in the opposing colour's ink. You'll still keep your name and you'll shoot your own teams ink so you can be spotted if you're not careful, but if you're sneaky you can catch them out and get some quick unexpected kills, or simply make them paranoid.
Ooh, sounds really useful for sneak attacks. Kind of want to put that on a Sploosh-O-Matic.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
1) Oh, so like a long-range Aerospray? Presumably it would get all of the hits if you were close, yeah?
2) Well, that sounds interesting. Would it go away if you threw another one though? Seems a tiny bit overpowered otherwise (I can see covering ever bit of turf your team has in Sponges so the enemy team can't re-cover them otherwise, probably not a viable option but certainly should be considered).
3) True, I have a bit more range, but that doesn't really matter at ambush range. I think I see your point now, thanks.
And Chargers generally give me trouble because I can't reach them to splat them (or at least I can't before they snipe me).
Also, do you mean Splash-O-Matic or Sploosh-O-Matic? I just want to know how much less range you have to work with, just curious.

1. Yeah, pretty much what I had in mind, though as a special I doubt you'd want to use it for close range.
2. I'd limit it, yeah, 1, maybe 2, but I'd think 3 (like squid beakons) would be too much.
3. Mmm, I'm normally trying to ambush myself is the thing, I use the Splash-o-Matic, thought I mentioned it earlier in the post. I can deal with Inkbrushes if I start at full range, but it only takes a few steps of not noticing/reacting to them before they can reach me in time to attack, The Octobrush is more threatening to me. The Sploosh is shorter range than Octobrush, so I don't know how they handle it at all... other than ambushes of course.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
1. Yeah, pretty much what I had in mind, though as a special I doubt you'd want to use it for close range.
2. I'd limit it, yeah, 1, maybe 2, but I'd think 3 (like squid beakons) would be too much.
3. Mmm, I'm normally trying to ambush myself is the thing, I use the Splash-o-Matic, thought I mentioned it earlier in the post. I can deal with Inkbrushes if I start at full range, but it only takes a few steps of not noticing/reacting to them before they can reach me in time to attack, The Octobrush is more threatening to me. The Sploosh is shorter range than Octobrush, so I don't know how they handle it at all... other than ambushes of course.
1) True, you don't generally want to use something like that up close, but if you have to, it's good to know you can.
2) Ah, that sounds sensible.
3) You probably did mention using the Splash in an earlier post, I just forgot.
Yeah, the Octobrush is more worrying, if only for the extra range (seriously, that has gotten me out of quite a few jams). Inkbrush with Damage Ups are probably pretty dangerous too (so fast, and I've heard they can splat in two swings at point blank), but Octo is the one worth worrying about (the Kraken's usefulness is easy to overstate, but it's still really useful, and the extra damage and range on its swings is great too).
I'm not sure how Sploosh-O-Matics handle anything outside of ambushes, honestly.

And now, a few weapons that have been bouncing around in my head for a bit:
The Inkbow. It's a bow you use to shoot ink-filled arrows. The arrows charge quickly and are pretty strong, and they explode when they touch turf, but they can be tricky to fire because they fall as they fly. It would work like a Charger, increasing your range by holding ZR, but when you release you fire an arrow that, when it hits a wall or floor or enemy, explodes in a burst of ink. Charging increases the damage, going from a 3-shot splat at no charge to a guaranteed 1-shot at and above 3/4 charge on a center hit; splash damage from the explosions does less damage, generally a 5-shot at no charge and a 2-shot at full charge (having more than one Defense Up can lower most of these, but a full-charge direct hit always splats), and charging increases the explosion size as well, from sub-Rapid-Blaster-size at no charge to Luna-Blaster-size at full charge. It would be affected by gravity, starting to arc downward after going a short distance forward, making it a bit tricky to use. Due to this, it flies faster if you aim it downward, so it would be good for attacking from above. Its range would be somewhere between Squiffer and Splat Charger (closer to Splat Charger, but not by much), and its charge speed would be a bit slower than the Squiffer. Additionally, it wouldn't have a traditional line-of-sight like normal Chargers, instead having an arcing line like throwing a Bomb-type sub; everyone can still see it though. It would use roughly 2-10% of your ink per shot, depending on charge. For a sub, it would have Suction Bombs, partially because I want to see a Charger with Suction Bombs and partially so you can force enemies out of hiding and shoot them as they come out, and its special would be Bomb Rush, to cover large areas of turf for a while or assail well-defended areas. For the alt version, the sub would be Splash Wall, to hide behind while you charge arrows, and its special would be Inkstrike, to cover turf and attack enemies from anywhere on the map.
The Heavy Inkbow. It's like the Inkbow, but its arrows are weighed down with lots of ink. Its shots are stronger and its explosions wider, but it takes longer to charge and has less range. Its explosions are larger (from Rapid-Blaster-size at minimum to just-below-Inkstrike-size at maximum) and much more damaging (even the splash damage is a 2-shot, and any direct hit at or above 1/2 charge will splat your opponents (though Defense Ups can make it require a 3/4 charge), and its charge speed is only a bit slower than the Splat Charger (so, still kinda quick, but not Inkbow or Squiffer speed), but its range is hampered by its arrows being twice as heavy, thus gravity pulls them down much faster (so your range on your arrows is almost 2/3 of the Inkbow's). They fly very quickly when you shoot downward, but your range is probably the worst of any Charger-type weapon when you aim it forward (though that doesn't count splash radius, which this weapon has quite a lot of); aiming it up a bit can aid its range problem (and give a bit more to the regular Inkbow), but only helps so much. For a sub, the Heavy Inkbow has Disruptors, so you can neutralize enemies you can't quite reach or ensure a direct hit on enemies you can, and its special is Killer Wail, for long-range attacks to force enemies to move. For the alt version, its sub is Burst Bomb, to finish off enemies caught in splash damage quickly or try to deal with ambushers (since you might not be able to get a charge in time), and its special is Kraken, to escape from ambushes or ambush enemies.

The Monadobrush. The Monado bends to your will, and your will bent it into a brush that's strong, with massive range, but not very fast. It's slower than other Inkbrushes, running at Carbon Roller speed and having a very slow (like, slightly less windup than Dynamo Roller slow) windup on its swings. However, it can splat enemies while running and its swing shoot a fan of ink to roughly Splattershot Pro range. It splats in two hits from its swing (and since it flings a ton of ink with each swing, that's pretty much always, unless you're at the very edge of its range). Its ink consumption on each swing is respectable (roughly 16%), and its run consumption is okay too (roughly 10% per second). Its sub is Disruptor, to ensure enemies don't escape your range while you wind up, and its special is Bubbler, for ensuring you survive to break out several swings or for negating ambushes you saw coming.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
1) True, you don't generally want to use something like that up close, but if you have to, it's good to know you can.
2) Ah, that sounds sensible.
3) You probably did mention using the Splash in an earlier post, I just forgot.
Yeah, the Octobrush is more worrying, if only for the extra range (seriously, that has gotten me out of quite a few jams). Inkbrush with Damage Ups are probably pretty dangerous too (so fast, and I've heard they can splat in two swings at point blank), but Octo is the one worth worrying about (the Kraken's usefulness is easy to overstate, but it's still really useful, and the extra damage and range on its swings is great too).
I'm not sure how Sploosh-O-Matics handle anything outside of ambushes, honestly.

And now, a few weapons that have been bouncing around in my head for a bit:
The Inkbow. It's a bow you use to shoot ink-filled arrows. The arrows charge quickly and are pretty strong, and they explode when they touch turf, but they can be tricky to fire because they fall as they fly. It would work like a Charger, increasing your range by holding ZR, but when you release you fire an arrow that, when it hits a wall or floor or enemy, explodes in a burst of ink. Charging increases the damage, going from a 3-shot splat at no charge to a guaranteed 1-shot at and above 3/4 charge on a center hit; splash damage from the explosions does less damage, generally a 5-shot at no charge and a 2-shot at full charge (having more than one Defense Up can lower most of these, but a full-charge direct hit always splats), and charging increases the explosion size as well, from sub-Rapid-Blaster-size at no charge to Luna-Blaster-size at full charge. It would be affected by gravity, starting to arc downward after going a short distance forward, making it a bit tricky to use. Due to this, it flies faster if you aim it downward, so it would be good for attacking from above. Its range would be somewhere between Squiffer and Splat Charger (closer to Splat Charger, but not by much), and its charge speed would be a bit slower than the Squiffer. Additionally, it wouldn't have a traditional line-of-sight like normal Chargers, instead having an arcing line like throwing a Bomb-type sub; everyone can still see it though. It would use roughly 2-10% of your ink per shot, depending on charge. For a sub, it would have Suction Bombs, partially because I want to see a Charger with Suction Bombs and partially so you can force enemies out of hiding and shoot them as they come out, and its special would be Bomb Rush, to cover large areas of turf for a while or assail well-defended areas. For the alt version, the sub would be Splash Wall, to hide behind while you charge arrows, and its special would be Inkstrike, to cover turf and attack enemies from anywhere on the map.
The Heavy Inkbow. It's like the Inkbow, but its arrows are weighed down with lots of ink. Its shots are stronger and its explosions wider, but it takes longer to charge and has less range. Its explosions are larger (from Rapid-Blaster-size at minimum to just-below-Inkstrike-size at maximum) and much more damaging (even the splash damage is a 2-shot, and any direct hit at or above 1/2 charge will splat your opponents (though Defense Ups can make it require a 3/4 charge), and its charge speed is only a bit slower than the Splat Charger (so, still kinda quick, but not Inkbow or Squiffer speed), but its range is hampered by its arrows being twice as heavy, thus gravity pulls them down much faster (so your range on your arrows is almost 2/3 of the Inkbow's). They fly very quickly when you shoot downward, but your range is probably the worst of any Charger-type weapon when you aim it forward (though that doesn't count splash radius, which this weapon has quite a lot of); aiming it up a bit can aid its range problem (and give a bit more to the regular Inkbow), but only helps so much. For a sub, the Heavy Inkbow has Disruptors, so you can neutralize enemies you can't quite reach or ensure a direct hit on enemies you can, and its special is Killer Wail, for long-range attacks to force enemies to move. For the alt version, its sub is Burst Bomb, to finish off enemies caught in splash damage quickly or try to deal with ambushers (since you might not be able to get a charge in time), and its special is Kraken, to escape from ambushes or ambush enemies.

The Monadobrush. The Monado bends to your will, and your will bent it into a brush that's strong, with massive range, but not very fast. It's slower than other Inkbrushes, running at Carbon Roller speed and having a very slow (like, slightly less windup than Dynamo Roller slow) windup on its swings. However, it can splat enemies while running and its swing shoot a fan of ink to roughly Splattershot Pro range. It splats in two hits from its swing (and since it flings a ton of ink with each swing, that's pretty much always, unless you're at the very edge of its range). Its ink consumption on each swing is respectable (roughly 16%), and its run consumption is okay too (roughly 10% per second). Its sub is Disruptor, to ensure enemies don't escape your range while you wind up, and its special is Bubbler, for ensuring you survive to break out several swings or for negating ambushes you saw coming.
I can see a lot of Xenoblade and Monster Hunter references in this post.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Special Idea: Painter's Tape, creates a line the size of three charger shots, that goes across the stage and replaces enemy ink with your own.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I can see a lot of Xenoblade and Monster Hunter references in this post.
Wait, what Monster Hunter references? I've never played Monster Hunter, so I'm kinda curious as to how those references got there.
The Xenoblade ones were intentional. I've been REALLY FEELING IT playing through it recently, so it looked like I didn't have a choice.

Special Idea: Painter's Tape, creates a line the size of three charger shots, that goes across the stage and replaces enemy ink with your own.
Interesting. Can it deal damage, or just cover a large area in front of you in your ink? It's useful either way (creating an inkroad is always a good thing, in my opinion), I'm just curious.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Wait, what Monster Hunter references? I've never played Monster Hunter, so I'm kinda curious as to how those references got there.
The Xenoblade ones were intentional. I've been REALLY FEELING IT playing through it recently, so it looked like I didn't have a choice.

Interesting. Can it deal damage, or just cover a large area in front of you in your ink? It's useful either way (creating an inkroad is always a good thing, in my opinion), I'm just curious.
I suppose, before the tape is peeled of, it deals damage. Monster hunter references were Bow and Heavy Bowgun, as they are weapons in the series.
Also Xenoblade is my Favorite game of all time, so enjoy your playthrough! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom