• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Weapon "tiers" (not really) Splatoon 2 month 1.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
what's "emperry"

/ nvm, sorry. i was WONDERING what that variant is called, but i haven't taken taken the time to learn all the kit names yet.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Thanks for your input, Hitzel! I kinda do that already so I just need to get better at it :D I'm gonna save your advice for later, that's a great way to explain the Jet to people.
You're very welcome. Good luck and stuff!

Do you think the Stingray special can have an impact in high level play... ...future weapons with the Stingray...?
Uhm stingray is pretty terrible right now but I do think people are learning to use it better. IMO there's an art to popping it early and using it for vision before firing it, that way you can get your assist off or whatever and be done with it instead of being trapped in stingray after it's done being useful.

It's more or less a liability. I suppose Custom Jet and Range Blaster look strong but are strong because of everything *except* stingray and if they're good it won't be because of stingray and good stingray use will be a side effect of choosing the weapon. Changes to special weapon balance are kinda needed to make stingray good by itself.

Surprised that Splattershot Pro isn't on the list.
Again, this is more of an observation about what happened during the first month than a viability list, and Pro wasn't used any more than a lot of the weapons not included on this list. That being said not that Forge is out there's pretty much no reason to justify vanilla Pro anymore. The pro itself is one of the weakest weapons in the game ─ not having its old Splat 1 range, not painting well, and having terrible ink efficiency in the face of rapids and minis and jets is pretty pathetic and the vanilla kit is a kit that needs to be carried by the main weapon. That being said the Forge's kit is initially seeming pretty impactful and is quite unique at the moment, so there is good reason to pick it at least for now before Heavy Deco (Wall + Blower) etc release. This is getting a bit out of the realm of this topic as Forge wasn't even out yet, but it's worth noting.

squiffer stuff
For the record, Squiffer came out the night before this list was made so it was kinda impossible to include it. Also I main Nzap and pocket stuff like Jr, Mini, Dualies and other SMGs.

So far Squiffer seems like it has potential as a main slayer on a very well-built map control team. Squiffer is strong in combat but has a huge issue with map control that just can't be ignored.

For Squiffers to learn from, I would look at someone like Lean, as Dude isn't someone who is going to put the 100% commitment into just Squiffer that is necessary to use it at the highest level. There's a reason Dude snipes in pubs but not in tournament.

Do you think splat chargers and e4k will eventually become more vital for team comps? Did people pick on average the scoped or no-scoped variants?
I think that chargers are good in Zones and that we'll really have to learn the maps before they start being as impactful in other modes. Eliter will only ever be a niche pick, but Firefin has a lot of potential if we ignore the looming threat of Heavy Deco. It will just take time to learn.

This is imo and not entirely relevant, but I honestly think that Bamboozler MK III was one of the best weapons no one knew about since it came so late in the meta. I think if it was released earlier we would've seen far more use of it in Solo Queue and in tournaments.
Bamboozler is one of those characters in games that are really technical and hard to use and only viable when in the hands of the select few good enough to use it, but are balanced in a way that still has a fatal flaw to the point where they wind up being high tier instead of top tier. Boozler in Splat 1 held down a high tier status for a while and MK3 in particular had a run in late 2016, but its lack of map control combined with Slosher and Cherry becoming meta wholly outclassed it and it wound up at upper mid tier / lower high tier in the end. This kind of technical character shows up a lot in fighting games, like Dhalsim in Marvel 2, C.Viper in Marvel 3 and some recent versions of Street Fighter, etc. Technical and difficult characters that are proven to be good in the right hands but ultimately are not game-dominating.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Uhm stingray is pretty terrible right now but I do think people are learning to use it better. IMO there's an art to popping it early and using it for vision before firing it, that way you can get your assist off or whatever and be done with it instead of being trapped in stingray after it's done being useful.

It's more or less a liability. I suppose Custom Jet and Range Blaster look strong but are strong because of everything *except* stingray and if they're good it won't be because of stingray and good stingray use will be a side effect of choosing the weapon. Changes to special weapon balance are kinda needed to make stingray good by itself.
Makes sense, I was just curious given on how the Heavy Splatling was the only weapon used that had the Stingray Special in the list and I was wondering if the special was utilized in some way.

I do agree that the Stingray special is pretty bad right now, kind of unfortunate that the Custom Jet and Range Blaster got stuck with it (because they would had been great weapons if they had different special like Ink Storm, or Inkjet, or a bomb launcher).

Hopefully when the 1.3.0 update the special will get buffed to be less of a liability and more in line with the other specials.

Thanks for the reply Hitzel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom