• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Weekly Improvement Thread I: Weapons and Playstyle

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
To become top level players and a (mostly smooth) sailing team, it takes a lot more than just hours of practice and knowing the game. It requires a better mental understanding of yourself, your attitude and your strengths, as well as your flaws. So each week, we will be discussing an aspect of the game or an aspect about ourselves we can all work on together, to help each other grow and become a top contender in Inkopolis.

WEAPONS AND PLAYSTYLES HOLY ****
While there is no "one size fits all" for weapons, nor is there really a "correct" weapon choice, knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your weapons and how they meld with your playstyle is very important to know. So we will be filling out a small form to help everyone understand their playstyle, how you help out and what set of tools we are all comfortable with in order to properly balance team composition, as well as compliment each other.

• Your main weapon (What weapon do you use the most? [You can check in game by comparing how much turf you have covered with each weapon])
  • Your sub weapons (Two other weapons you feel comfortable using / are good with.)
  • Define your playstyle (Cop-out answers and dumb answers are not acceptable. i.e: "I go balls to the walls hard like a motherf***er"/"Oh I just do whatever to win.")
  • What do you think your greatest strength is? (In relation to your playstyle.)
  • What do you think your biggest weakness is?
  • What weapon(s) do you want to learn or get better at?
  • What skills do you want to get better at? (Playstyle oriented)
So I'll fill mine out first as an example so you all can follow suit.

• Main: Sloshers
  • Subs: Aerosprays
  • Playstyle: I tend to play very "safe". Not necessarily campy, but I try to evaluate all my fights before I start them, even if it means slowing down or just observing for a few moments. Survival and claiming territory are my two main focuses in matches.
  • Strength: My ability to survive and play support.
  • Weakness: Playing aggro and knowing when to apply pressure.
  • Want to Learn: Jet Squelcher, .52 Gal and Octobrush.
  • Want to get better at: Team communication, aiming, learning how to play more aggro when needed.
We'll all share so we can talk about it as a group and critique and help each other.

(Posted here since keeping track of the Skype/Discord chat can be hard to keep up with for all our members.)

Star Squid

Inkling
NNID
  • Main: Forge Splattershot Pro
  • Sub: Jet Squelcher
  • Playstyle: On maps like Port, where there are very linear paths to the goal, I usually hang back and keep out enemy players with my (usually) superior range. However, if the enemy wields longer ranged weapons like the Squelchers, I routinely attempt to flank or or otherwise ambush them. On more nonlinear maps, I often throw stray point sensors to try and scope out the area and bait a response from enemies. I focus on defense and locking down enemy paths to the goal.
  • Strengths: When in control of a zone, tower, or rainmaker, I tend to be successful at inking enemy paths to the goal, forcing them to take a predictable approach to the goal.
  • Weaknesses: Under significant pressure, I often try to play aggro with a weapon that can't be aggro. This often leads to my demise. I also tend to throw out sensors when enemies are in my line of sight, instead of going straight for the kill.
  • Want to learn: Bamboozler, Gals, Inkbrush
  • Want to get better at: Not being completely silent during team chat, playing more collected and not letting deficits get to my head.

beckert26

Full Squid
NNID
beckert26
Main: Tenatek/Splatter scope (both at 250k)
Subs: Krak-on and Luna blaster
Play style: I tend to play a pretty aggressive playstyle that has a hard focus on kills.
Strength: My ability to kill and make the "big plays"
Weakness: I go too hard at times and die.
Want to learn: Jet squelcher, dynamo, and .52 gal
Want to get better at: Moving more efficiently and my positioning.

iadena

Inkling
This is a great idea Wispy!

Main: Tenatek
Subs: .52 gal/slosher/Splattershot pro/Jet squelcher
Play style: This is hard to answer. So I just write what I do in each mode.
Turf war: cover areas as I go towards the middle to fight for the turf.
Splatzone: I usually play defense, but sometimes I go and fight to gain coverage of the other area depending upon how much traffic our zone gets
Tower Control: I tend to ride on the tower and take it to the end.
Rainmaker: I provide support by splatting others so that that rainmaker can get to its destination.

It really depends on what my team is doing and what areas need coverage, etc.

Strength: Usually aware of what is going around and what area needs ink coverage
Weakness: Get stuck in playing and trying not to lose thus I don't think on how to approach it strategically and tactically. Not sure about my plays.
Want to learn: rollers, brushes, blasters, and chargers
Want to get better at: Moving more efficiently, positioning, team communication, usage of seekers & ink mines, and surviving.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Main: Octobrush
Secondary: literally every other weapon in the ****ing game
Playstyle: I'm fairly balanced. I do have a tendency to go a bit hard in the paint when I'm playing smaller maps, and play more cautious in large maps. However, my main focuses are stealth and efficiency regardless.

Strengths: Trickiness is definitely my strong suit. I'm able to get out of almost any difficult skirmish thanks to my crazy movement patterns, and in addition to EZPZ jukes, I'm good at picking out weak targets.
Weaknesses: I have a strong tendency to engage in battles even I know are impossible to win when I'm in a losing position instead of playing the smartest way possible.
Want to learn: The Octobrush more. :p And the Bamboozler.
Want to get better at: Combat in a disadvantage, and (somehow im terrible at this) using the Kraken.

Arcite5682

Inkling
NNID
Dogalog5000
Main: Dual squelchers
Secondary: Dynamo, any long range shooters, Aerospray
Playstyle: VERY safe. I often don't enter engagements unless I know I can win. The objective is always my main priority
Strengths: Flanking and ambushing.
Weakness: Knowing when to push and winning engagements i'm at a disadvantage in
Want to learn: Sloshers and brushes
Want to get better at: mobility and map movement

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom