What´s everyone´s opinion on the Gamepad´s usage?

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Before launch there was a lot of controversy on the game requiring the Gamepad, which negated OffTV play and using the proController. Now that some time has passed and we´ve all have spent some time with the game I´d like to know what everyone thinks about the Gamepad´s usage in Splatoon.

I love the way motion controls are used, I´m not an avid shooter player so I´m not very accustomed to aiming with sticks and I´ve found it much easier to do it the way Splatoon proposes. Also, having a detailed map which is constantly updating is a huge deal, I neglected the importance of the map before playing the game, even during the TestFires, but now I´m amazed of how useful it has become. I´m constantly checking the map during fights to see if I can safe jump to a place, where the enemies and allies are located, what routes I can take to get to a vantage position unseen, what zones need my atention...I think a screen minimap wouldn´t cut it, it would need to be big so you can see everything and it would take too much screen space.

In conclusion: before game launch I didn´t like the forced use of the Gamepad, but now I totally understand why Nintendo did it and the results really justify this decission. However, I can understand there are people who require OffTV to play the game so OffTV play would´ve been nice too, maybe using a watered down minimap on screen. It would be a big disadvantage but at least these people could play the game more.

What about you?

BluEyes

Senior Squid
A screen mini map can always be turned on or off like MK8. Turning it on gains you tactical vision but reduces your on screen view a little bit. In games like splatoon having it on far outweighs the inconvenience.

The gamepad is underutilized, we could have like pages offering different options, like a map page, messages page, weapons page, head gear and so on. You could swipe to move from one page to another.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
I used to want off-tv play and pro controller usage, but now I love using the gamepad and the tv.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I love the GamePad and can't see the game being played using anything else, really. The game really was designed around it. I think using the Pro Controller in the Dojo is really unpleasant.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I wish I could use my pro controller.

Kikaioh

Full Squid
I love the gamepad. It's pretty useful in Splatoon, and in other games it's great to be able to play around the house instead of having to be camped in front of the TV. I've all but stopped playing on my 3DS after discovering that eshop games and Smash could be played on the gamepad.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
I don't mind the gamepad map actually. It requires you to determine if it is safe to take a look. I think it adds a little bit of tactical importance to the map.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
The use of the gamepad is very well designed in Splatoon. Aiming works intuitively and stuff like to select a super jump location or where to shoot an Inkstrike couldn't have been implemented better in the game than it is now. Really, it would be literally impossible to play with Inkstrike if there was no possibility to shoot it in about 1-2 seconds.

The only thing I miss is an additional map on the TV screen. Would make the game a lot more comfortable; even though I agree with K7Sniper about the tactical point.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Gamepad is pretty much perfect for Splatoon. I'd appreciate the option of having a map on the TV though.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Sadly, having that option in this game would give whomever uses it a major advantage over those who don't.

In a game like Mario Kart, not having a screen map is rather counter intuitive, but in a game like this, it's a matter of tactics. If I had a screen map, I know I would be a ton better in terms of awareness. Instead, I know I don't have that, and have to pick which times I look at the map, or learn audio cues to know when something is nearly, like a "ploop" of someone dropping down, ripples in ink, the sound of hitting someone, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom