• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What are the best abilities for...

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I noticed a lot of people are looking for tips on abilities so feel free to ask for pointers and give advice on what works best with certain weapons you've picked up here

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
There are only a few abilities that in my opinion can definitely be effective for any weapon on any game mode:
:ability_specialcharge:Special Charge Up
:ability_quickrespawn:Quick Respawn
:ability_tenacity:Tenacity
:ability_recon:
Recon

Abilities that I believe can be effective, but are not worth it:
:ability_stealthjump::ability_bombsniffer:

Abilities I have never used:
:ability_comeback::ability_haunt::ability_specialsaver::ability_lastditcheffort:

I have not tried setups with all the available abilities (see above), so just from my experience, here are some abilities that I believe to be effective for midrange shooters, rollers, and chargers (I have never tried blasters, and I'm not including splitting or brush types for now):

Midrange shooters and rollers:
:ability_damage::ability_defenseup::ability_runspeed::ability_inkresistance::ability_ninjasquid::ability_swimspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_inksavermain::ability_openinggambit:
Midrange shooter weapons are generally pretty balanced, so a great variety of setups are possible depending on your play style. Any movement-related abilities are definitely great to have. Many of these can definitely carry over for longer range shooter weapons like the squelchers and gal. weapons.

Chargers:
:ability_bombrange::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_coldblooded:
Most of the time when you're using a charger, you'll probably be staying back a little and not moving as much. That is why I don't think movement-related abilities are really effective for chargers (disregarding the squiffer and bamboozler). Some other abilities are definitely viable though depending on your play style.

This is just a quick list, and obviously everyone plays differently so most ability setups will be completely unique. But let me know if you agree or disagree with any of my thoughts!

Zolda

Full Squid
There are only a few abilities that in my opinion can definitely be effective for any weapon on any game mode:
:ability_specialcharge:Special Charge Up
:ability_quickrespawn:Quick Respawn
:ability_tenacity:Tenacity
:ability_recon:
Recon
I agree on Quick Respawn, at least in ranked. It's one of my favorite abilities. Special Charge Up I'd probably agree with as well, although Tenacity I'm not a huge fan of and I definitely don't agree with Recon.

I just don't think Recon is that useful, considering it only works on the spawn point. Except for the moment you respawn, there's never a moment in the game you should be standing on the spawn point. While it can be useful for identifying allies to whom it's safe to jump, it's not much use for anything else. Combat is so fast-paced in this game that by the time you make your way from the spawn point back into the action, everyone's positions have probably changed significantly. I don't think Recon is worth a whole main gear slot.

Personally, I would swap Tenacity and Recon in your list for Cold-Blooded and Swim Speed Up. While it's true that there are times where Cold-Blooded will be useless if no opponent has Echolocator or Point Sensors, both of those are common enough that it's worth using I think. As for Swim Speed Up, I include it because fast movement is so important in this game and every single weapon benefits from it in some way.

DrFaustPhD

Inkling
NNID
DrFaustPhD
I agree that Recon probably isn't ideal for every set, but I think its a necessity for Beacon an Stealth Jump users.

Other useful notes:

Strength up increases explosions "outer blast strength" making near-misses much more dangerous with things like burst bombs and blasters

Quick Super Jump is pretty much only useful for Beacon or Stealth Jump users

If you're using a heavy or mini splatling, slosher, tri-slosher, splattershot pro (and probably some that I'm forgetting) use Ink Saver Main. Its one of your best friends.

Lots of Run Speed is super useful for those strafe heavy shoot-outs. Is especially good for mini splatling

If you like high rate of fire, low range weapons, definitely put a lot into Swim Speed, it really helps to disorient and flank your opponent.

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I agree on Quick Respawn, at least in ranked. It's one of my favorite abilities. Special Charge Up I'd probably agree with as well, although Tenacity I'm not a huge fan of and I definitely don't agree with Recon.

I just don't think Recon is that useful, considering it only works on the spawn point. Except for the moment you respawn, there's never a moment in the game you should be standing on the spawn point. While it can be useful for identifying allies to whom it's safe to jump, it's not much use for anything else. Combat is so fast-paced in this game that by the time you make your way from the spawn point back into the action, everyone's positions have probably changed significantly. I don't think Recon is worth a whole main gear slot.

Personally, I would swap Tenacity and Recon in your list for Cold-Blooded and Swim Speed Up. While it's true that there are times where Cold-Blooded will be useless if no opponent has Echolocator or Point Sensors, both of those are common enough that it's worth using I think. As for Swim Speed Up, I include it because fast movement is so important in this game and every single weapon benefits from it in some way.
In my opinion I personally this it is a great ability for rainmaker and splat zones, and even more so if you play charger cause you can see when you respawn/ retreat their movement and warn your team with "booyah" spamming or set yourself up in the perfect sniper nest for their attacks. plus this is great for :inkstrike: and:killerwail: (at times) so you can super jump to your base and launch a barrage on a whole group with no fear of being splatted

:ability_recon: :ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon::ability_recon:

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader

Chargers:
:ability_bombrange::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_coldblooded:
Most of the time when you're using a charger, you'll probably be staying back a little and not moving as much. That is why I don't think movement-related abilities are really effective for chargers (disregarding the squiffer and bamboozler). Some other abilities are definitely viable though depending on your play style.

This is just a quick list, and obviously everyone plays differently so most ability setups will be completely unique. But let me know if you agree or disagree with any of my thoughts!

As a charger, I tend to move a whole bunch, and I find staying at one place is very ineffective as a whole. The main abilities I use as charger are :ability_inkresistance::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage:.

Damage up is pmuch a given if you know the base mechanics of chargers ( basically just charges faster than what it usually because damage up helps you get to max damage faster)

Ink resistance has been a staple of mine since the beginning of the game, and while I dont know how effective it is in comparison to early on, It really does help you go faster in enemy ink which is something a charger like me needs when Im trying to flak the enemy and head to their base.

And swim up is a new addition as I have tested out :ability_openinggambit::ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery:

I mean Opening gambit is still really good, but I personally can't secure wins super fast, so its pmuch based on the person. As for ink saver and recovery, while recovery helps with more prolong escapes and ink saver also does to some effect, simply being able to run fast is more important than to stay were you hard. And honestly swim up really helps with flaking.

TCSmith0812

Full Squid
If you are a nozzlenose user or blaster user, both run speed up and strength up work wonders for them. Run speed up is important because while you're shooting, there are small intervals when you can't pop into squid form to strafe, so you need that run speed to move while shooting. And strength increases blast radius power, or the power of the pulse, and if you use enough of them, you can manage to get one hit splats if they're not in their own ink. It's a strategy I've used successfully many times, though not all the time. It's a huge troll.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
A few things in a nutshell:

The only shirts which are worth using are the ones with Cold-Blooded, except if you're using a Quick Respawn build.

If you want to use a Quick Respawn build, stack as much of it as possible.

Ink Recovery and Swim Speed are good on everything.

Main and Sub Savers are good on everything which has walls. Main Saver is superior.

Run Speed is good on short-range shooters.

Special Saver is better than Special Charge Up.

Damage Up is a must on E-Liters and good on most shooters. If you run E-Liter you should only go for Damage and Recovery.

Ink Resistance is useful on most shooters and rollers, but not a must.

Bomb Range is good if you stack it a lot and know what you're doing.

Ninja Squid, Defense Up, Bomb Sniffer, Recon and Haunt are bad.

Opening Gambit is good, but in most cases you're better off with a Swim Speed Main instead of it. Last Ditch is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom