What are the preferences of the competitive scene?

Hazeolation

Inkling
NNID
TWW_Master
Switch Friend Code
SW-1263-0392-8919
I've been wondering for a while what the (by democracy determined) favourite tournament settings of the community are. As such, I'd like to collect the preferences of as many people as possible.

If you'd like to help, please reply with:
- Your preferred bracket style (SE, DE, Swiss into DE, ...)
- Your preferred match type (BO3, finals BO5, ...)
- Rules you think have to be included in tournaments (Lag rules, Screen ban, ...)

Regale__

Inkster Jr.
I'm a fan of Round Robin for seeding and depending on the size of the tournament SE or DE with BO3 until Semifinals with BO5

And also, screen opt in/out until it's fully fixed for most everyone

Edit: tried to fix formatting sorry if it's horrendous it's been 5 years since i've used a forum like this 😭

Loctos

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-0079-7397-7401
In general I like DE, for 2-day tourneys day 1 groups are nice
Anything above Bo5 can become a bit much in double elim so Bo3 -> Bo5 is the best I think
Lag rules are kinda janky imo cause the to has to interpret if the situation was "laggy enough" for a replay, so just getting rid of them entirely is the easiest solution honestly
Obv include screen opt in/out, until screen becomes relevant in terms of viability there's no reason not to include it

Dari

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2230-6009-2248
If we talk about formats, i mostly prefer Groups into SE, but normal DE is close behind it. SE only is rather boring imo but it can be nice for higher stakes.
Talking about rules, i think the best for screen is Opt In / Opt Out as long as there are problems bound to the special. Lag rules are not necessary because they could flood the helpdesk with unnecessary people raging & asking for replays, but i understand that it´s a nice to have. The most important thing for me are DC rules, because these are very important (sadly). The norm with 2:30 timer or objective pushed to 50 is the best imo.

In every tournament i prefer Bo3 for most of the matches and bo5 for (Semi) Finals. But PA3 can also be fun in groups but it has to be structured like Low Ink is.

MMOToaster

Semi-Pro Squid
Double Elimination with a Bo5 followed by Bo7 during Semis and Bo9 during Finals. Screen is the worst designed special in the game and should be always banned, hope Nintendo just removes it for good.

Trapper

Inkling
NNID
merpeaches
Switch Friend Code
SW-2403-9665-5606
I think Groups into Double Elim with Po3 in groups and Bo3 in Double Elim always feels nice so enough games are gotten in that it doesn't feel like a let down if you get knocked out early.

Besides clear DC rules I do wish there were some way to make lag rules fair for really bad lag but it is a complicated issue.

strings

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-7616-8885-7288
I like speedladders and wish there were more of them. But as for regular tournaments, PA3 groups into single elim is fine by me.
Opt in/out for screen is an OK way to do things.

joe???

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4284-1031-3060
DE usually but Swiss to Single Elim has its place especially for less competitive tournaments like gimmick events where you want everyone to get some benefit out of playing.

For DE, bo3 for most of the bracket, starting in winners quarters it should be bo5. Losers bracket all bo3 except for losers finals bo5. Grands bo5.

Map selection should be done by the strike/ban system used in Squid Junction which I actually formulated a long time ago on twitter hurr durr. For a bo3 give 5 maps, for a bo5 give 7 maps and let each team choose one map to strike and play the remaining maps. Takes less time and easier for pickups than counterpicks (and leads to less playing the same map over and over again) but still gives teams a good amount of freedom.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I've been wondering for a while what the (by democracy determined) favourite tournament settings of the community are. As such, I'd like to collect the preferences of as many people as possible.

If you'd like to help, please reply with:
- Your preferred bracket style (SE, DE, Swiss into DE, ...)
- Your preferred match type (BO3, finals BO5, ...)
- Rules you think have to be included in tournaments (Lag rules, Screen ban, ...)
I've only played in a few so I don't have as good a viewpoint as most players but heres the tldr:

I like tournaments with swiss pairings followed by a double elim top cut

I find B05 is the best balance between being timely and general skill expression(I'm not super fond of Sendouq being best of 7)

Lag rules as most tournaments implement them are fine, opt in/out for screen is fine, I think the current ruleset for tourneries like LUTI/LI/LSL etc are virtually perfect with nothing standing out to me as eggresious or needing immediate attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom