What can be learn from Splatfest?

shane3x

Full Squid
The European/Aus one just finished. 2/3's of people went rock and 1/3 pop. Rock wins 57:43.

Splatfest is designed around the poor ability system

We all know Nintendo prefers practicality over style instead of both. You cannot pick what abilities you want for your gear and the only way to change it is essentially a big lucky dip. Grinding to gain the ability to completely random is nonsense. If I put in say 8 hours into the game there is zero guarantee I will get even one ability I want for one of my 3 slotted gear.

30k is also a tad bit pricey due to the complete random nature of things, if it was say 10k for a random reroll and 30k to select 1 ability in one slot for one gear that'd be alright.

However because of this idiotic ability system it currently favours being able to reroll as much as possible so you want to maximise snails.

tl;dr - So when the next splatfest starts, don't join a team until it actually starts, find out which team has more people and then join that so you can get double snails. I joined pop, lost only 5 games in 6 hours of non-stop play and that was never going to matter because pop was going going to win with only 1/3 of all players joining it.

Whats the point in making in a competition if one team never has a chance?

KiD InK

Inkster Jr.
NNID
HymeTime47
It's all luck though. I'm on Team Dog and won the 24 snails. I used ten and got not even two of the same abilities. Cat team friend got the 18 and got a perfect sub saver abilities and main ink. So it really doesn't matter.

10k is too cheap. That's four ranked wins which is not hard to accomplish. If you could pick your abilities what's the point of having gear? Part of the fun for me is trying out different gear and abilities.

Just my thoughts and I'm sure the next Splatfest will be a bit cleaner :)

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I like the upgrade system as it is. I am not too aesthetics caring at in games. As long as it is not ugly I will wear it. Matching outfits for good ability sets is a different story. Thet randomazation at various facets of the game forces me to enjoy managing various looks.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
So when the next splatfest starts, don't join a team until it actually starts, find out which team has more people and then join that so you can get double snails
How exactly do you find out which team has more people? Is this displayed when you get to choose your team after Splatfest has started already? If yes, that will be the way to go I guess if you want to secure victory.

The ability system is weird. But I have a feeling Nintendo will rough it up at some point later and allow definitve selections for subs (which should be very pricey, like about 3 or 5 snails per slot).
Another thing they could do is adding new gear with 2 main abilities, rendering pretty much everything you have achieved yet useless. I would find that hilarious and am going to save most of my money and snails at least until the August update just in case.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
find out which team has more people
There is no way of knowing which team has more people. You can make a guess by looking at the Miiverse posts, but the true number is a mystery until the reveal afterwards. If you're playing Splatfest purely for the snails, you're taking it too seriously.

I think the ability system is smart. If you could just pick and choose your slots, you'd have all your perfect gear within the first week and never need to play another game again. By making the perfect sub-abilities hard to get and making re-rolls expensive, but not unbearably expensive, you'll always have something to work for.

shane3x

Full Squid
How exactly do you find out which team has more people? Is this displayed when you get to choose your team after Splatfest has started already? If yes, that will be the way to go I guess if you want to secure victory.

The ability system is weird. But I have a feeling Nintendo will rough it up at some point later and allow definitve selections for subs (which should be very pricey, like about 3 or 5 snails per slot).
Another thing they could do is adding new gear with 2 main abilities, rendering pretty much everything you have achieved yet useless. I would find that hilarious and am going to save most of my money and snails at least until the August update just in case.
It might be a bit late for Splatoon, but I think if they ever did a sequel they'd learn from a lot of the choices they made in this game.

There is no way of knowing which team has more people. You can make a guess by looking at the Miiverse posts, but the true number is a mystery until the reveal afterwards. If you're playing Splatfest purely for the snails, you're taking it too seriously.

I think the ability system is smart. If you could just pick and choose your slots, you'd have all your perfect gear within the first week and never need to play another game again. By making the perfect sub-abilities hard to get and making re-rolls expensive, but not unbearably expensive, you'll always have something to work for.
Every single time I went to the the city lobby during my total playtime I would see 90% Rock shirts and 10% Pop shirts. Our Splatfest started 1am AWST so by the time I started which was 8am that was more then enough time for everyone to have gotten started. If the overall vote was more evenish then at least individual contributions would make a difference.

It's not like I wasn't having fun, Turf war I enjoy very much splatfest or not. However to suggest splatfest has zero air of competition is ridiculous considering what the prize is and how performance is rewarded. You literally have to play 4-6 hours worth of splatfest, win 95% of those games and score 400p to even max out rank which I don't think the standard casual player will achieve. 18 snails lets me reroll abilities or add slots to a lot of gear without having to pay bucketloads of cash for it. Although if the teams had been somewhat even in number that could have been more.

I feel Nintendo could have balanced out how they distributed rewards relatively to popular vote. So in the example of the first Euro/Aus splatfest even though only 1/3 of all people picked cat, we only lost by 6% however that didn't matter and the winning side gets double snails even though relatively speaking their performance was poor.

Egomouse

Full Squid
NNID
Egomouse
Switch Friend Code
SW-1058-0470-2243
I honestly found more cat Miiverse posts and I assumed popularity was important for Splatfest. I still chose Team dog and was shocked to hear team cat was so much lower in popularity. I would of thought it would be closer (though I found out when I kept facing dogs which was days after my choice).

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about getting less snails. Splatfests are said to be planned around every three weeks (assuming no delays and complications *coughs coughs*). You'll be stocked with a ton of snails if you attend every one of them and get max ranked. I know that would take quite awhile, but 6 snails will seem very little bit by then and you'll have plenty of money.
Source: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/splato...latfests-about-every-three-weeks#.VZwavXpVhBc

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
I honestly found more cat Miiverse posts and I assumed popularity was important for Splatfest. I still chose Team dog and was shocked to hear team cat was so much lower in popularity. I would of thought it would be closer (though I found out when I kept facing dogs which was days after my choice).

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about getting less snails. Splatfests are said to be planned around every three weeks (assuming no delays and complications *coughs coughs*). You'll be stocked with a ton of snails if you attend every one of them and get max ranked. I know that would take quite awhile, but 6 snails will seem very little bit by then and you'll have plenty of money.
Source: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/splato...latfests-about-every-three-weeks#.VZwavXpVhBc
Same here, I saw more Cat related posts, so I thought for sure I was gonna lose, I was pleasantly surprised

shane3x

Full Squid
50/50 for Popularity Vote compared to Win percentage just seems like an unfair ratio. It should slightly favour wins more especially in situations where the other team has more members.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
The wins are twice as valuable as popularity, but the popularity can be heavily skewed.

Rigging one team just takes out the fun of Splatfest.

Nin☆Jun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Dantel
Just play through the game, you're missing the point of Splatfest if you're just in it for snail shells.

Plus, who doesn't want to see the sisters dancing?

shane3x

Full Squid
It's not lot I didn't have fun, I had tons of fun playing, however once it all ended it felt like the scoring system wasn't designed to fairly reward the invidual factors based on
Just play through the game, you're missing the point of Splatfest if you're just in it for snail shells.

Plus, who doesn't want to see the sisters dancing?
Point missed.

It's not like I wasn't having fun, Turf war I enjoy very much splatfest or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom