• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What controller do you use?

What controller do you use the most in Splatoon 2?

• Handheld

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Joy-Con Grip

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Joy-Con Split

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Pro Controller

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

Claymour

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7484-6266-0025
Hey guys, I'm really curious to see what controller everyone uses. When I started Splatoon 2 I started using the Pro Controller but have since been playing around with the Split Joy-Cons since it feels a lot like Mouse and Keyboard. Split Joy-Cons feels pretty accurate to me but I was interested in hearing what everyone else thinks, what controller do you use?

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I come from mouse and keyboard and the Wii. Pretty used to right hand controlling motion. Never owned and xbox so never got good at using sticks to control aim. Even on gamecube shooters like Goldeneye or Metroid I sucked really bad (probably because I was little...). So split joycons it is for me. Though I have 4 and 3 have faults. One left on takes a while to respond going forward/up. One left one has a hard time responding to R so I'll try to throw bombs and have to try more than once or whatever. And the other right one has it's stick resting slightly right-down (manipulated from use). Also motion controls get a little wonky every once in a while. But I've tried playing handheld somewhat like what it would've been on Wii U but I suck. ANYWAYS yeah split joycons.

Claymour

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7484-6266-0025
I come from mouse and keyboard and the Wii. Pretty used to right hand controlling motion. Never owned and xbox so never got good at using sticks to control aim. Even on gamecube shooters like Goldeneye or Metroid I sucked really bad (probably because I was little...). So split joycons it is for me. Though I have 4 and 3 have faults. One left on takes a while to respond going forward/up. One left one has a hard time responding to R so I'll try to throw bombs and have to try more than once or whatever. And the other right one has it's stick resting slightly right-down (manipulated from use). Also motion controls get a little wonky every once in a while. But I've tried playing handheld somewhat like what it would've been on Wii U but I suck. ANYWAYS yeah split joycons.
Do you know what high-end players tend to use? I'd be really curious about that.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Do you know what high-end players tend to use? I'd be really curious about that.
Pro controller. They all played competitive Splatoon 1 where you had to use the gamepad and the joycon grip is weird so that's the best thing. I never played S1 so I'm here with split joycons.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I loved playing S1 on the gamepad, felt really right to me, and it was about as precise as you can get on a console. Unfortunately, due to the fact that you have to constantly look at the screen in S2 Handheld mode, that's not really a replacement of that. Thankfully, split Joycons is just about as good as it gets in the world of controllers. Super comfy, you can have your hands be literally anywhere, and the gyro does indeed make it very mouse+keyboard-ish. I simply don't see a reason why anyone would use anything else, unless you have huge hands.

Claymour

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7484-6266-0025
For the split Joy-Con users do you use any accessories? For example, the included strap?

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I love the joycons, but I’m sorry, the best way to sploon is on a pro controller. With such a fast paced game I find I more often than not press the y button when I mean to jump, and as someone that plays Luna that can really throw off my aim. People have noticed me do a complete 180 when trying to perfect a shot, and yeah it’s about as annoying as it sounds.

I honestly do not understand how anyone plays split joycons. I wish I could do that but it’s a kind of pat your head rub your belly situation because I just don’t have the coordination to be able to aim with just my right hand. I guess it’s better if you’re a pc gamer, but I digress, pro controller is perfect, apart from one really gross thing. Admittedly it was worse on the game pad, but the pro controller collects a lot of hand sweat, or at least, I think that’s what that gunk is. I dread to think.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Split joycons are fine for aiming, but the overall size (too small), button layout, and buttons themselves make the pro controller a far superior option in my hands. The last two points (button issues) are objective, too. You have to reach over the joystick to jump, which can result in accidental movement, mistimed jumps, or special activation. The joystick resolution is higher for the pro controller too because the joysticks are longer, therefore you have more accurate control over your movement.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I can see why the split joycons would take some time getting used to, hell, I have pretty long fingers and am very fond of the large size of the gamepad (though I never accidentally touch the right-stick while using buttons), but once you do, man...there's simply no other gyro that comes close to how good it is.
For the split Joy-Con users do you use any accessories? For example, the included strap?
Ew, no.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I used to only play handheld - being the most responsive setup - at least, until I got a pro controller yesterday. I am taking a solemn oath not to use joy cons ever again - I like it that much! It is pure Splatoon controller perfectness!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Pro controller mainly.

I would use the joycons more often than I already do but the overall size, button sizes, and ergonomics aren't working in my favour. Even when I use the straps it doesn't feel like it's solving problems, just adding cosmetics and extra empty real estate to an already small layout.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Joy-Con Grip.

I don't exactly want to shell out for a Pro-Controller at the moment and I'd rather not play portable 100% of the time. Joy-Con Split is out of the questions since its just such a different handling scheme compared to the others.

My hands aren't that big so the button size has never been much of an issue. The only things that even remotely happens is I sometimes accidentally press the "This Way!" command when pulling back the analog stick. But I've never had any issues otherwise.

L;lac

Inkling
I use the grip, it fits my tiny hands perfectly. I think it helps steady my aim compared to split joy-cons too. I just can't get used to moving just my right hand for motion with split joy-cons.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Joycon Grip. Splatoon edition grip with the green and pink joycons :cool:

I haven't felt like shelling out for a pro controller so I don't know if it's any better. I'll wait until I can test-drive it on somebody else's Switch.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Joycon Grip. Splatoon edition grip with the green and pink joycons :cool:
*is jealous*

I keep waffling between getting those, the ARMS yellow, or waiting for some fantasy joycon redesign! :(

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I’ve been told I have womanly fingers and I still struggle with the joycon buttons heheh

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I use my PS4 controller via an adapter since there's no way I'm paying $60-70 for the Pro Controller. Motion controls work great though.

I have been using the Joy Cons separately recently, and found my performance much better. Funnily enough, I've wondered if I could use the Wiimote and Nunchuck when the first game was announced.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I use joy cons, but I wish I had a pro. I really don't want to spend $70 on just a controller, especially when there are still games I want for the switch that cost less, but sometimes the joy cons just seem to do their own thing. A few weeks ago I was having terrible input lag with them, especially with splatlings, which I main ;_; but now they work just fine.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Since we're on the subject and though this may veer us off topic, I'll point out that currently the basic pro controller is $60 on Amazon (maybe other places too?). I don't think the price will drop below the current $10 off until maybe the fall.

And other than @Chaos_Knight using a PS4 controller with adapter, has anyone else been looking into pro controller/joy con alternatives? Most of the ones I've seen on the market sadly lack motion controls, and I'm one of those losers that use motion controls when available. Hnnn... maybe I'll split that off into a separate thread if anyone wants to go down that rabbit hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom