What determines where you place in ranked matches?

In competitive matches, how do you usually play?

• Aggressively (Looking to splat and stay on task at all costs.)

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supportive (Help teammates by controlling the environment)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Playfully, yet taking it seriously (Distracting and taunting the enemy)

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • SQUID PARTY! (Always looking for squids to fool around with)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Defensive (No squid's getting past this point!)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Deathwish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Keena_Ironweaver
I know something's supposedly counted and determines whether you did better or worse than your teammates during a match, like who inked the most turf during a turf war, but what about ranked battles like Tower Control or Rainmaker? Maybe the game counts how much you inked where it counts for Splat Zones, but inking turf isn't priority while you're riding a tower into enemy territory. For rainmaker, I'd count the amount of distance traveled while carrying it, then ink if it wasn't carried by that squid, but it doesn't seem like distance is a factor, despite it being a main focus. For example, I have this video where I took the victory for my team, yet it displayed me at the bottom of the listed winning team. Splats don't seem to be a factor either, so is the game still just counting who inked more turf rather than who was most helpful? I mean, inking turf can be what gives a team the advantage, but sometimes teams win by KO despite nearly the entire map being covered by enemy ink. Maybe the order doesn't matter, but I doubt the order's just random. I mean, it would be unfair for a player to be listed at the top, especially on a losing team, if they'd forgotten that the ranked match wasn't a regular turf war while the squids who did their best to win while staying on-target are listed underneath. Surely, there must be players who judge how well they did compared to other players based on the listings and have been disappointed; thinking they did the worst on a team while really, they may have been the most helpful.

I had a good team this round; distracting the enemy and helping me burst the rainmaker shield, but the victory wouldn't have been achieved without the rainmaker being taken to enemy territory. Even the teammate who splatted 3 squids didn't get listed in first and that there's a big help in this short amount of time, so what gives?

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I know something's supposedly counted and determines whether you did better or worse than your teammates during a match, like who inked the most turf during a turf war, but what about ranked battles like Tower Control or Rainmaker? Maybe the game counts how much you inked where it counts for Splat Zones, but inking turf isn't priority while you're riding a tower into enemy territory. For rainmaker, I'd count the amount of distance traveled while carrying it, then ink if it wasn't carried by that squid, but it doesn't seem like distance is a factor, despite it being a main focus. For example, I have this video where I took the victory for my team, yet it displayed me at the bottom of the listed winning team. Splats don't seem to be a factor either, so is the game still just counting who inked more turf rather than who was most helpful? I mean, inking turf can be what gives a team the advantage, but sometimes teams win by KO despite nearly the entire map being covered by enemy ink. Maybe the order doesn't matter, but I doubt the order's just random. I mean, it would be unfair for a player to be listed at the top, especially on a losing team, if they'd forgotten that the ranked match wasn't a regular turf war while the squids who did their best to win while staying on-target are listed underneath. Surely, there must be players who judge how well they did compared to other players based on the listings and have been disappointed; thinking they did the worst on a team while really, they may have been the most helpful.

I had a good team this round; distracting the enemy and helping me burst the rainmaker shield, but the victory wouldn't have been achieved without the rainmaker being taken to enemy territory. Even the teammate who splatted 3 squids didn't get listed in first and that there's a big help in this short amount of time, so what gives?
Before 2.3.0, Ranked placed teammates based on splats. Those who tie on splats were positioned on their splatted number instead (5-6 is placed above a 5-7 player). After this update, you get placed on your win percentage for the last 10 matches. The logic behind this was that the devs believed it was a better way of showing usefulness of teammates rather than their K/Ds (someone could ignore the objective, get a great K/D, but cost the team the match because they could have taken the objective to keep the lead). The percentage resets when you rank up, rank down and when the rotation changes. Squads and Private Battles still position teammates like the pre-2.3.0 update, on their splat-splatted ratio.

Coco24

Inkling
I always focus on splatting others in Ranked Battles and it is very succesful if my teammates are supportive. It's also the reason why i lost so much in the last splatfest haha ....;)

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I usually work on closing off areas that enemies travel so either me or my teammates can make a push through their defenses, though I will change from support to aggressive depending on how we are doing in the match

Deathwish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Keena_Ironweaver
Before 2.3.0, Ranked placed teammates based on splats. Those who tie on splats were positioned on their splatted number instead (5-6 is placed above a 5-7 player). After this update, you get placed on your win percentage for the last 10 matches. The logic behind this was that the devs believed it was a better way of showing usefulness of teammates rather than their K/Ds (someone could ignore the objective, get a great K/D, but cost the team the match because they could have taken the objective to keep the lead). The percentage resets when you rank up, rank down and when the rotation changes. Squads and Private Battles still position teammates like the pre-2.3.0 update, on their splat-splatted ratio.
OH, that makes loads more sense! Thanks!

Deathwish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Keena_Ironweaver
I always focus on splatting others in Ranked Battles and it is very succesful if my teammates are supportive. It's also the reason why i lost so much in the last splatfest haha ....;)
I picked the Spongebob team. ^^' Thought Patrick would be more popular.

Deathwish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Keena_Ironweaver
I usually work on closing off areas that enemies travel so either me or my teammates can make a push through their defenses, though I will change from support to aggressive depending on how we are doing in the match
Same, though I sometimes wait for an enemy to come by a commonly-used route and splat them while they're swimming up a wall before covering it. Your way of going about things is really good. It's nice having teammates who check on the situation rather than just acting based on what's in front of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom