What do all the Great Maps in Splatoon have in Common?

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
I've been trying to determine what makes a stage Great in Splatoon. While aesthetic and theme are inkcredibly important, what I'm talking about is the base layout. Take away all the fluff and frills and shinnies and what's left is a raw inkable surface. What makes these maps fun? Where is the tension and why does it feel that way?

If you need a reminder about layouts, Here is a thread with the maps on them. it's missing Flounder Heights however.

Anyway, I have my own opinions but wanted to hear what you all think, especially before I go and start designing custom maps.

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
I think all the fun maps are just cool and unique, good lines of sight, action galore and cool features.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Well, in my opinion bad maps are either too verrical (Moray Towers), too linear, (Port Mackaral), or you can't see a lot of the action (Arowana Mall). The good maps on the other hand are the ones with good line of sight, many paths and not too much verticality (every other map).

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Good thread topic.

Are we talking about a good map in general? I personally think it depends on the mode. I don't think there is an amazing map for ever single mode.

Walleye is likely the best map imo due to depth, open areas and good vantage points as well as coverage, although I think its a bit narrow for Rainmaker.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Depends on the mode, for something like Turf War I think maps with straight forward choke points are the most fun, like Arowana, Moray, Mackerel and somewhat Saltspray. Bluefin is horrible because half the team has to split up and in Random Turf Wars, most players forget they have a map on their controller...

For Splat Zones, I think most maps that have two splat zones aren't actually that good for it, unless they're close together. Blackbelly isn't good for Zones with how there is a huge tower between them and they're essentially the lowest parts of the map. But Flounder Heights is a good example with how two splat zones can work with how the only thing that separates them both is a grate bridge. Moray has too much distance from both I feel like and the same can be said for Port Mackerel.

For Rainmaker, anything too narrow just doesn't work. Port Mackerel is the best example of this as a whole Rainmaker shot can wipe out an entire alley. Blackbelly is too small but for something like Camp Triggerfish, with two main paths to take to the mount and how the map is laid out, I feel Camp Triggerfish is one of the best Rainmaker maps.

In general, Blackbelly is the worst map for most modes because of size and difficulty maneuvering around, Urchin 2.0 is meh for most modes but I feel Camp Triggerfish, Arowana, and maybe even Saltspray are some of the best maps overall.

Reactions: Dew

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Everybody has a different favorite map. My favorite would probably be walleye or flounder heights, but many say these maps are not good at all. So there really isn't a good map of it depends on each person. Like the guy above brings up good points but I hate triggerfish and I don't like saltspray. How could those be the best overall maps? That's why there isn't really a best map.

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
I think its about the side paths, so not everything has to end in a camping chokepoint. As long as there's cover and you aren't forced through one point like on Arowana Mall, or there's a lack of alternate paths like on Moray Tower's chokepoint (I always hate how they never put the ranked version with the side routes into Turf War), then its a good, chaotic match. Otherwise the winner is determined by who can camp the hardest, and after a 3 minute stalemate against a sniper and dynamo on Moray Towers where the enemy team never pushed up because they owned the center. We lost by 5%, but they were in control the entire match. I find that I hate that map, and only having two ways through the center (and only 1 if you're using a roller) just turns matches into an all out snipefest. Plus Arowana Mall eliminates its chokepoint cover for ranked matches, making it even more campy.

I have 6 things I look for in a map to call it good. Saltspray Rig is my favorite for having most of these, and supporting a wide variety of weapons, where other maps are biased towards one weapon.

1. The enemy can't reach your spawn. This is why I hate the Rainmaker version, because me and a carbon roller teammate were walled off from being able to do anything when a roller was just standing outside our spawn. I was using the Nouveau, so I couldn't use the sprinkler to try to force an opening. We lost the game so badly, and there is literally nothing we can do about it. I hate hearing people say "Its your fault for letting them push up" or "Its your fault for not playing a top tier weapon" and I'm glad voice chat is off, otherwise it'd be nothing but 7 year old complaining that they didn't get another aerosray to go 0 - 7 with them.

2. There's more than one way out of spawn. Its difficult to spawn camp someone here, because they have options. If you're being obvious about where you camp, then they can go down any of the other 4 paths out of spawn. Flounder Heights incorporates this well, and I'm glad. Plus the path to the spawn in Rainmaker is in a different corner than the Rainmaker's pedestal, meaning they have to go out of their way to start spawn camping, rather than doing it just because they're in the area.

3. You don't have to push past one area to win the game. I've had games where the enemy team takes the upper area, but we win by controlling the entire lower area. We aren't forced to go where they're camping to win, we can do our own thing, and if they don't leave to stop us, we can still win.

4. There are alternate paths past where the enemy is camping. Once again, the bad maps have multiple path to the one chokepoint, but goods maps have ways around that. Saltspray Rig is good because of the options, and a few maps have learnt from this as well. Camp Triggerfish has ways around the straight path through the center, being able to go behind the wall then hide behind cover, or take the gates when they come down to eliminate anyone who's camping.

5. Maps need to have a balance between open areas and corridors. Port Mackerel has 4 open areas on the entire map (Spawn and the area between the crates, plus the enemy's version of each, so the rest of the match is people hiding behind corners to get kills. Too open and we're spending most our lives living in a sniper's paradise, and too small just makes the meta about sneak kills.

6. There needs to be cover. Using the environment to get the drop on someone expecting you to be standing still for a 1v1 is a rewarding kill, and having cover means you can hide behind it to force the enemy either behind a corner or to stop chasing you. I hate when they eliminate cover for ranked; why would they make it easier and require less skill?

Moray towers has 1, but its useless since it doesn't have 2, and they can just camp you from a single area. Its missing 3 and 4, making it nothing but camping. It has 5 and 6, but only one or the other. The corridors are wide enough for options in a firefight, but the center area has no cover to hide from snipers.
Total: - 3

Arowana Mall has 1 and 2, meaning that its difficult to spawn camp consistently. Unfortunately, that it. You don't have 3, and 4 only exists up to the point where everyone is camping, where you have to go past one spot with sniper nests on every side. Most of it is open, and there are narrow side paths as well, but it lacks 6. There's 1 piece of cover in the entire map, and its right in the center (not counting walls), and a few ranked modes completely erase it, making it even more sniper friendly.
Total: - 2

Port Mackerel doesn't have 1, but its okay because you have 2 to make up for it, so its difficult to spawn camp effectively. It doesn't have 3, but there are a lot of options in 4. It lacks enough of 5, and 6 is empty in the open areas, and only present as cover
Total: - 1

Walleye Warehouse is considered the worst map for 1. It has 2, but only past the point in which the enemy spawn camps. it has 3; if you control the areas on the side, you never have to push up to the enemy's sniper's crate. It only has 4 in the main area; if they start spawn camping, you need to push past them before 4 starts to take effect. It has 5, and a good amount of 6.
Total: + 1

Flounder Heights took a page out of Saltspray Rig's book on the spawn, being one of the best, even on Rainmaker. You don't have 3, but 4 is literally coming out of the walls on this map, with the opportunities to reach the center limited only by the range on your gun. It is horrible for 5, with the entire map being open, and there's a huge lack of 6, although elevated plains and walls means there's a little. Plus there's one tree in a corner with a wall already there to hide behind.
Total: + 2

Urchin Underpass doesn't have 1, but the long stretch to the spawn and the abundance of 2 means that I've never seen anyone camping the spawn itself, only going into close firefights during a knockout. It doesn't have 3, making the center chaotic. 2 leads into different areas in the main zone, unlike Arowana where it drops off in the same place for every path, so 4 could go either way. The new changes means that it has 5 and 6, previously lacking enough of either. There's cover in the chokepoint, and snipers have to chose between a larger PoV or the ability to hide in ink.
Total: + 2

Blackberry Skatepark doesn't have 1 but it does have 2. Its one of the few maps to have 3, it has 4 with plenty of ways to approach the sniper's nest in the middle. The entire place is open, and there's a few side areas to balance it out. There's a few of 6 around the map, although most of it is walls.
Total: + 3

Bluefin Depot has 1 and 2, and it takes a serious knockout before there's anything close to spawn camping. It technically doesn't have 3, but since there's two versions you aren't forced into one camping location. There's 4, but only two per side. Its nonexistent on the enemy's side, but that's past the points you have to control, so it limits domination, which is good. It has 5 and 6 in moderation, not giving snipers a full view of the chokepoints from any one location, meaning they have to move or go down into combat to reach the enemy side. There's a decent amount of cover in the open areas, and the bridge in the center stops e-liter 3ks from being able to shoot halfway across the map, having a 75% PoV over one chokepoint, which I feel is the perfect amount for those guns; good for support, but not enough to completely define the meta by how many you have

Kelp Dome is amazing for 1 and 2, being up there with Saltspray Rig as one of the most difficult maps to spawn camp on. The multiple areas mean 3 could go either way; you can win without controlling the center area. Its extremely difficult to do, but the risk of losing because of that will force the enemy out of the center to deal with a threat in another area. It is one of the best maps for 4, especially on Rainmaker, where you have to put in a bit of work to get rewarded with flanks, unlike on other modes where its something you do casually when you're in the area. This means people won't be looking on their flanks as much, so there's just as many options, but the required work stops the average person from going out of their way. It doesn't have 5, but its not nearly as bad as other maps that don't have that balance. There's a decent amount of 6, spread around the center where its needed, but there's not too much of it, so long range weapons usually do better here.

Camp Triggerfish has 1 and 2, with 3 different ways out of spawn (Not counting the first 2 minutes of Turf War). The two different paths means it technically has 3, and there are options for 4. It has 5, although the straight bridge to the is pushing it. It has plenty of 6 mixed into the map, with wide turns to avoid sneak attacks and walls placed between each side to substitute as cover to prevent snipers.
Total: + 4

Saltspray Rig is the best map for 1 and 2, except for on Rainmaker, where it has neither. It is again an amazing example of 3, where controlling the upper area and the lower paths are equivalent, with the area between them being what makes the game. It has 4 everywhere; the elevators, two paths to the center, and two different ways up to the sniper next from the flank. The entire lower area is corridors, and the entire upper area is open, with the center being a mix between the two, making it a decent balance between each. Its not the best, but its still very good. There's a decent amount of 6, although not enough to hide from the sniper nest, and owning both leaves the entire center open.
Total: + 5 (Except for Rainmaker; there its - 1)

This is just my opinion, but I feel this is how I rate each map. There is a 7th, which may change a few rankings here. The 7th is weapon tiers, where having a wide variety of decent weapons and not having one weapon being overpowered on that map. Its a bit too soon in Splatoon's life to make a weapon tier list. I might do a board for weapon tiers per map and game mode, since I can't test enough weapons by myself. Offstage hazards for Tower Control may count as a point loss as well.

I think I speak for everyone when I say Moray Towers belongs at the bottom.
Arowana Mall is bad, but some people will enjoy it more than others.
I personally feel Port Mackerel and Walleye Warehouse should be switched, since Walleye's negatives are a lot more present than Port Mackerel, but that's just how this list placed it, and it'd be unfair to only rate those two differently than every other map.
Flounder Heights and Urchin Underpass are decent maps, and I feel that + 2 should be the minimum for legal maps in tournaments. The maps before these need changes, and these maps are outclassed by the other half, but its not a reason to hate them, but they're not going to be a favorite.
I think Blackberry Skatepark is more of a 2.5 depending on the mode. The other + 3 are better imo, but its better than the + 2 maps.
Bluefin Depot and Kelp Dome are amazing maps, being a lot more skill based than the rushdown style of the other maps before it, where owning the objective and having domination at the start guaranties victory for the entire match, unless you really mess up. I feel Kelp Dome is above Bluefin for Rainmaker amd Turf War, but they're equal in Splat Zone and Tower Control.
I didn't expect Camp Triggerfish to be that high. I feel its between Kelp Dome and Bluefin Depot overall, but it somehow landed all the way on second best in the entire game. I love the Rainmaker version, and there I do feel it belongs in second place. The Tower Control version isn't good with the entire thing being off stage, and momentum usually kicks me off if I try to swim up the side. It also can only be inkstriked at certain key points on the map. Its difficult to get a knockout, and most of the combat takes place in the corridor in front of spawn, making it another rushdown map.
Saltspray Rig is just amazing. Its very difficult to spawn camp, and a cautious person can spray the area around before jumping down into an ambush, the back area is the most open, still having a ton of decent cover, and plenty of different altitudes for mix ups. The lower area is mostly corridors, with some cover scattered around, and an open area at the very bottom that's just a dead end used to charge a special before going into the fray. The center is a mix of each, having three different altitudes, decent cover, and a sniper nest on either side, with the way up being away from the action, meaning a sniper has to chose between controlling the area or waiting for someone to come up the flank.

Does this sound about right? I'm curious if I missed anything here.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
I've already done a rundown on the maps over in this thread, but other then that, @tene_sicarius pretty much nailed it with his piece. Despite Spawn Camping being rare for me to endure, I did chuckle at the FH part though.

"It has a tree. 10/10" ~IGN

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
There always needs to be an opportunity to pull it back when you're losing, which I think is what @tene_sicarius's points were getting at. I think Port Mackerel is great for the most part (it doesn't deserve half the hate it gets), but the problem with it is that it's really hard to recover once the enemy has pushed part a certain point.

Every map has at least three routes out of spawn, which is great because it provides options about how you approach the start of the game, and alternative routes should one way be too heavily guarded. If you're getting slammed, there's always another option. The problem with Port Mackerel is that its side paths lead straight to the first big open area, which is where the enemy will probably be hanging out. I have been on both the dominating/dominated positions on this map, and it is nigh on impossible to break through when the only thing you can do is slam yourself into all four enemy teammates.

I don't think there are any bad maps because there's always a chance to steal the win through shrewd play and a successful ambush, but Port Mackerel can have problems.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think most of the disliked maps have either a singular choke point (Arowana Mall) or all their pathways from their base are next to each other (Old Urchin Underpass/Port Mackerel.) I think all of the good maps have multiple paths leading out of the base- which could be as simple as giving Port mackerel a way to climb on the crates in ranked so you can hop across/etc. just to open up more options to move across the map.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
Options are very important you need to have a way every class can get to most places because i have been both the sniper pinning you down port mackerel, and the roller trying to get past the sniper on port mackerel, a lot of ally ways in various sizes to that no one weapon can pin down an entire team from advancing is key. I personally have never had trouble on moray towers but it's rare for me to use a short range weapon that can't go up the walls, so a balanced stage with both open areas and closed off areas that way the sniper can't rule all the playing field and the roller can't pin every exit.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
There are certain things I look for in a map I love to play on.

1. Having a mixture of open areas, and close quarters sections. Probably the reason I love Walleye Warehouse a lot. It fits many different play styles, while being compact for intense fights.Flounder Heights is another example of a stage where there are so many different sized areas that can conform to different types of battles.

2. One can use a large variety of weapons, and still not have some sort of huge disadvantage. Kelp Dome is an excellent example of this, the map being pretty flat means that just about every weapon can be used to the best of their abilities.This sort of ties in with my first idea. I like it when the stage allows for most weapons to be useful, as opposed to my next point.

3. One weapon does not rule the battlefield. This is where Moray Towers in particular suffers, as everyone knows snipers can dominate if the conditions are right. I don't mind that there is a map where one weapon is arguably the best, but Moray Towers is much more fun for everyone when there are no snipers on either team in my opinion.

4. Having a distinct feel and theme. When I say this, I don't mean the visuals, but the basic design to the stage. This may be one reason why Hammer Head Bridge is my least favorite map. It doesn't really do anything new, or interesting. It's not a terrible map, but I wish there was more to it.

electraheart

Senior Squid
NNID
howalive
i like it when there's more than one way around the center of the stage and you're not forced to go through just one area where people can easily take over that area... (moray towers, arowana malls)

arowana, as previously stated, is also way too vertical. i don't feel like it's a good balance. and when you have one or two really good snipers on the other team, it's pointless.

i also can't stand camp triggerfish. i'm not entirely sure why. it has a nice aesthetic, but the map itself is awful to me.

i just like it when there's enough space on the map to "properly" allow inking...? if that makes sense.

spawn camping has never been a real problem for me, personally, so that's not a huge deal for me.

SGM

Inkster Jr.
NNID
UltimateBlast
It's mainly about the verticality and the variety in the landscape, with multiple pathways, a central arena, and several vantage points for snipers. There's also various ramps to jump off of that (generally) lead to another platform, which may be a vantage point. Structurally, these stages favour both a quicker, more frantic approach, and a slower method that may gain you more points in the long run. Essentially, there's a lot of possibilities in regards to the stage at hand, which means a fundamental understanding from the development team about everybody's different play styles.

Chances are, this explanation makes absolutely no sense; if anybody wanted me to elaborate on that, I'd hopefully be in a different frame of mind than I am currently.

Shikinouta

Inkster Jr.
I like Blackbelly, despite the occasional phantom inking. I think it's a pretty unique map in comparison to some others (looking at you, Mackerel) and there is nothing quite as satisfying as unleashing a bomb rush all over the opposing side while they all fight for the tower. Plus, if I had to say, it's the most fitting with the urban, neo-punk Jet Set Radio vibe that Splatoon oozes.

I usually like to gun it alone, so I generally prefer stages that let me sneak by without the enemy even noticing: Hammerhead (sometimes), Blackbelly and Flounder Heights (sometimes) are all maps that play to my liking. Maps with a lot of bottlenecks; Mall, Warehouse et. all are some of my more hated stages because it's that much harder for me to sneak around behind enemy lines.

Ink dweller

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jchalla
I think that threads like this wouldn't have existed if we could choose our own maps, and modes in splatoon

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
All the great maps are fun. Duh.

I like maps with multiple routes leading towards a central mosh-pit of death. In my (albeit non-competitive) experience the "straight shot" maps make it pretty easy for one team to push the other back to their spawn point if they have a range advantage and mediocre skill. It makes for a pretty annoying game if you can't step out of the spawn point without getting taken out and kinda boring if you're the one controlling 90% of the map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom