• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What do I do as an Inkbrush?

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
What you need to do with the brush largely varies on game mode. It is a very specialized weapon, and can be very effective in some situations while being weak in others. So my advice is going to be a little pessimistic, but I do believe in the power of the brush!

The ink brush has to be played defensively in most situations. You can't really extend very far because you're outranged by EVERYTHING. This means your maximum effective range is barely outside of your own ink. Your ability to dash through your opponents ink is great and can make for super cool flanks and escapes at times, but you have to learn not to abuse it or you will just get splatted. A lot. With the regular brush, use the sprinkler to charge your special quickly, and mid-game you can use it to help keep control of a key area. Always remember to be sneaky; the brush needs surprise to beat most weapons.

The brush is most effective in Splat Zones, since it's absolutely amazing at covering turf. The Sprinkler can help pop zones, keep them your color, and apply pressure to enemies in certain areas if placed well. Inkstrikes can be game changers and even winners. Your mobility is incredible, and you can abuse it by moving around the zone(s) and covering ground at a rate most other weapons cannot compete with. Use Sprinklers wisely. Your ability to quickly cap a zone can mean the difference between victory and defeat.

Don't use the brush in Tower Control. Just don't. I've tried and tried and tried, and using the brush in Tower Control REALLY limits your potential. You cannot safely pressure the tower, you can't effectively defend the tower, and your inking ability isn't as helpful as usual. The inkbrush is a support weapon, and while that can be great it just lacks the tools to compete in Tower Control. The best brush for TC is the Octobrush, as Kraken can claim the tower and make last minute safe pushes. Even then, the Octobrush is subpar. When the Octobrush Nouveau comes out, it will actually be decent at the mode as you can pressure the tower with Splat Bombs and Inkzooka.

In Rainmaker, you can always try to cheese the RM by making a mad dash for the goal and trusting the RM carrier to swim up your trail. :P Brushes are also good here, as you can make long flanks to quickly remove the opposing carrier. It's really map dependent with this mode, even more so than other modes.

For abilities, Cold Blooded is always inkredible and really should be a staple on anyone's layout. Ink Resistance is great for bushes because your mobility through opposing ink is so important. It lets you turn left safely! As for further abilities, Swim Speed Up is great on everything and can be the difference between life or death. I also run a bunch of Damage Up, as I noticed it let me win in a lot of situations where I would have traded before. Your brush actually has two hitboxes: one on the brush, and then the ink that you fling. Damage Up applies to both hits, so by stacking enough your killing efficiency will increase. I'm not sure on the sweet spot with it, but right now I have 4 subs and I've noticed a big difference. Because of the limits with the brush, I strongly believe you should play a shooter or charger as well for the maps/modes that put the brush at a big disadvantage. I picked up the Custom Jet Squelcher, as the things that give the brush trouble (Long, narrow pathways, lots of vertical movement, etc.) give that gun an advantage.

Best of luck!

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I think the viability of a weapon mostly depends on who is using it. I've seen aggressive and awesome octobrush players, and I've played really well in higher ranked battles (S, A+) with an aerospray mg (not my main weapon) if I'm in the mood.

It just depends on you. If the inkbrush feels 'right' then do your best to make it work. With that said, and I'm not very good with brushes, from what I've heard the Octobrush is the best brush for more aggressive play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom