• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What Effect Will The Gamepad Have On Splatoon's Future

Plutoniumcube

Pro Squid
NNID
Enteryourname
I'm sure you all know about the super jump. You know, tap on the Gamepad a squid beacon/ teammate /spawn point and get to their location. It's been asserted as a major gameplay mechanic.

Here in lies the problem, the Gamepad probably won't be a main peripheral for newer consoles, it's a bit of an expensive controller that might not stick. Thus, Nintendo would have to release a Gamepad for it's sequel, or drop, revamp the mechanic. This might detract from the feel of the game itself. Dropping it might be a bit of a risk.

One good solution may be to release a Wii U Gamepad or something of the like with the next Splatoon. However, that might skyrocket prices making the game harder to sell.

I might be overreacting of course, I probably am to some of you. Post your opinion in the comments!

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
No reason that the GamePad wouldn't be compatible for the next system, or that the next system (which features a combination of a handheld and a console platform) will have something equivalent to the GamePad.

Obviously way too early to speculate, though, since a Splatoon sequel is a long, long way off.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Honestly, I think the mechanic can easily be revamped to not need the gamepad. The game doesn't use five buttons already. There has to be a way to map some buttons to superjump. Add a minimap on the main screen and it seems doable.

The only problem I can see are the beacons...

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
This is an interesting question... I've never thought of that before. I'm pretty sure it can be reworked though. A button can be used to super jump instead (though, I'm not sure if that would work, given you have 3 people to super jump to). Beacons, I'm not sure about. I'm sure Nintendo will figure something out when the time comes. Who knows, maybe the gamepad will stay along with another controller.

Plutoniumcube

Pro Squid
NNID
Enteryourname
Another problem is the inkstrike. That required a lot of liberation to place that is only really best generated with the Gamepad.

I think some of the best solutions are these:

1. Click the L stick to super jump and use the triggers to scroll through who you want to jump to or place a mark on the map using the joystick for an inkstrike.

2. Make a Gamepad Splatoon bundle and give options such as 1 for those who do not purchase it. However, this may create an unfair advantage.

Also, this might be a good way for Nintendo to make use of mobile devices. Perhaps you might be able to use your smartphone as a Gamepad screen. Might be a little bit of disconnect though....

Jrdellx

Full Squid
I have the same idea as the guy above ^ Easy fix. Splatoon 2. You push the L button and a mini map pop up on screen. Use your joystick to go left or right to select your teammates. When you inkStrike the mini map pops up again.. this time when you move the joystick.. You have control over a little round area of effect... You just move it where you want ur inkstrike to hit then push A. I think something like this is better because you can see what's going on in game then looking down for a few seconds when someone can sneak attack you.

Smashwidget

Full Squid
NNID
Smashwidget
No reason that the GamePad wouldn't be compatible for the next system, or that the next system (which features a combination of a handheld and a console platform) will have something equivalent to the GamePad.

Obviously way too early to speculate, though, since a Splatoon sequel is a long, long way off.
we don't know that about the NX at this time.

Plutoniumcube

Pro Squid
NNID
Enteryourname
@Smashwidget

Although we don't know, I'm pretty sure they will. After all, Nintendo had offered backwards compatibility with controllers in the past ever since the Wii. I don't think the Gamepad would be much of a dentriment to implement to be honest but I'm no developer.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
I think it's a rumor that new system won't have gamepad. Too early to speculate.

Plutoniumcube

Pro Squid
NNID
Enteryourname
I wasn't really basing it on a rumor. I just based it on the fact that it would be doubtful for Nintendo to make controllers with a screen on it as a consistent staple. It just seemed like a bit of a gimmick. It's also kinda expensive to produce. But, your point is valid either way.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I'd like to see a mouse peripheral or something like that... Not that i have any room to allow for it.

rndethan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rndmuch
1. Click the L stick to super jump and use the triggers to scroll through who you want to jump to or place a mark on the map using the joystick for an inkstrike.
I have the same idea as the guy above ^ Easy fix. Splatoon 2. You push the L button and a mini map pop up on screen. Use your joystick to go left or right to select your teammates. When you inkStrike the mini map pops up again.. this time when you move the joystick.. You have control over a little round area of effect... You just move it where you want ur inkstrike to hit then push A. I think something like this is better because you can see what's going on in game then looking down for a few seconds when someone can sneak attack you.
I also had the same exact thoughts too :)

Plutoniumcube

Pro Squid
NNID
Enteryourname
It may make super jumping less viable. But, I'm not sure if the Gamepad is all that efficient in the first place.

crowmage

Inkling
NNID
crowmages
Nintendo will probably offer the option to use the gamepad, they almost always include backwards compatibility and it'll make it easier to transition to the new game. But I do agree that the gamepad will probably not be a consistent controller for future systems, its too expensive.

Maybe they'll move on and go back to a normal controller, we don't know much about the next console. I'm thinking they will be using a mini-map or hud if they get rid of the gamepad for the sequel.

Berentxo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Berentxo
If the next controller was anything like the Dualshock 4 I can see it working by pressing (or press-holding) the touchpad, maybe a thumbnail map goes big (maybe translucent so you don't miss on the action) and then you drag and drop a cursor or something and even if it's not too accurate it would just lock onto the closest superjumpable target. The mechanic could also be recycled for the inkstrike, without the need for locking onto anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom