• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What Headgear do you use?

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category D:

Anyway, there are hardly any Headgear with a good Main ability + Brand combination.
IMO the brands that I aim for are:
Tentatek = Ink Recovery Up
Splash Mob = Ink Saver (Main)
Squid Force = Damage Up
KrakOn = Swim Speed Up
Takoroka = Special Charge Up (Out of these, this is the least important)

And the decent headgear are:
Fake Contacts - Main = Special Charge Up, Brand = Tentatek
White Headband - Main = Ink Recovery Up, Brand = Squid Force

The weapons I mainly use are (Forge)Splattershot Pro, Custom Jet Squelcher, Octoshot. If that gives you any idea of what I could use.

So, I'm just wondering what headgear you use and why you chose that ability with that brand.
Maybe this could give me insight on other gear to try out.

EDIT: I just noticed the "Weapons and Gear" forum topic. =_=
I don't know how to delete this thread though.

Last edited:

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Personally, I'm almost always wearing the Bobble Hat. Why? I like it. I don't have much of another reason. :P I fell in love with the Bobble Hat and I love the Bobble Hat... So it stays on. :P I'll occasionally use my Skull Mask or Pilot Goggles. They both look nice and have good abilities. It's usually the Bobble Hat though. :P

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
I usually use my pure Safari Sat (second try!), Samurai Helmet which i got 2 ink recovery subs on or Squid Sordic. They pretty much fit with all weapons I use.

Kodidro

Full Squid
Content Team
I switch hats depending on my weapon.

I main Chargers, most commonly using the Splatterscope. While I have that I typically run Pilot Goggles (Main::ability_bombrange: Subs: :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:). With Shooters it varies greatly, depending on what the weapon needs to be most effective. I'll use the :head_hdp001: headphones (forget the actual name) or the bandana mask for the weapons that use Splash Walls, since they take up SO much ink. Ink Saver (Sub) helps a ton with that.

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
Personally, I'm almost always
wearing the Bobble Hat. Why? I like it. I don't have much of another reason. :p I fell in love with the Bobble Hat and I love the Bobble Hat... So it stays on. :p I'll occasionally use my Skull Mask or Pilot Goggles. They both look nice and have good abilities. It's usually the Bobble Hat though. :p
Bobble hat is cute. Even the name, haha
The Skull Bandana looks so aggressive.
If I didn't care about abilities so much I would be wearing the White Arrowbands. I even considered getting white frames, just because of how cool it looks on my inkling.

I usually use my pure Safari Sat (second try!), Samurai Helmet which i got 2 ink recovery subs on or Squid Sordic. They pretty much fit with all weapons I use.
Whoa. Full Ink Saver (Main) on your second try?! So lucky

I switch hats depending on my weapon.

I main Chargers, most commonly using the Splatterscope. While I have that I typically run Pilot Goggles (Main::ability_bombrange: Subs: :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:). With Shooters it varies greatly, depending on what the weapon needs to be most effective. I'll use the :head_hdp001: headphones (forget the actual name) or the bandana mask for the weapons that use Splash Walls, since they take up SO much ink. Ink Saver (Sub) helps a ton with that.
The Designer Headphones, I believe.
What's funny is that I've never even considered using Ink Saver (Sub). I almost forgot it even existed and doubted the usefulness of it. But it's probably also good for burst bombs.. I'll have to look into it.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Well, this is more suited for the "regular discussion" or the "weapons and gear" forums.

Anyway, I fell in love with the pilot goggles before I even realized what gear did. Now that I use the vanilla splattershot, I actually have use for them! And they rolled two bomb range subs, so I ALMOST have the equivalent of two mains.
:head_eye002::ability_bombrange:|:ability_specialduration::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:

I also really liked the studio headphones when I first saw them and I used them for a long time. When I tried to get two swim speed up on them I rolled a perfect (special duration up), so now I only use them with weapons that can benefit from that (kraken, inkzooka, bomb rush).
:head_hdp000::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:

I have others depending on my weapon, but those are my favorites.

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
Well, this is more suited for the "regular discussion" or the "weapons and gear" forums.

Anyway, I fell in love with the pilot goggles before I even realized what gear did. Now that I use the vanilla splattershot, I actually have use for them! And they rolled two bomb range subs, so I ALMOST have the equivalent of two mains.
:head_eye002::ability_bombrange:|:ability_specialduration::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:

I also really liked the studio headphones when I first saw them and I used them for a long time. When I tried to get two swim speed up on them I rolled a perfect (special duration up), so now I only use them with weapons that can benefit from that (kraken, inkzooka, bomb rush).
:head_hdp000::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:

I have others depending on my weapon, but those are my favorites.
Whoa. Nice rolls.
I've never used the studio headphones only because when I first started I saw the entire plaza have only studio headphones (exaggeration).
But nonetheless that's pretty awesome.
I never really considered the viability of Special Duration Up, but I can see it being really useful for bomb rush. And even Bomb Range Up. Those two abilities seem lethal with the vanilla splattershot's special.

Also, I just read on splatoonwiki that there are no brands that increase the percentages of rolling Bomb Range Up o_o Is that true?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Also, I just read on splatoonwiki that there are no brands that increase the percentages of rolling Bomb Range Up o_o Is that true?
Sadly, this is true.

There are a lot of abilities that I didn't like at first. Bomb range was certainly one of them. Then I saw what @Hitzel does with the splattershot and I was like "I need to do that." Special duration up and special saver were others that I thought were next to useless, but I've enjoyed making builds that can utilize them.

SplatoonisBagels

Inkster Jr.
NNID
joje02
I personally like these pieces of headgear:
Squid Nordic: :ability_comeback:I:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Comeback is really underrated but it allows for 4 main equivalents for 20 seconds after you die. Pair this with a faster re spawn time and it makes for a deadly re spawn game. I use this with the Dynamo Roller to get back in battle and the 20 second mains of swim speed and ink saver main really help me to do so.

:head_eye004:::ability_tenacity:I:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Another great headgear are the Black Arrowbands with Tenacity and with weapons such as the E-liter 3K, it helps fill your special faster while conserving special as you die. Plus it looks as snazzy as the White Arrowbands ;).

:head_cap006:::ability_swimspeed:I:ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_unknown:
I got really lucky on this Camo Mesh and since I have a set for the Vanilla Splatter shot: :clothes_swt001::ability_bombrange:I:ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage: and:shoes_cfs001:I:ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage:, it fits perfectly into my combo of bombs, mobility and more damage to kill.

Last edited:

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
Sadly, this is true.

There are a lot of abilities that I didn't like at first. Bomb range was certainly one of them. Then I saw what @Hitzel does with the splattershot and I was like "I need to do that." Special duration up and special saver were others that I thought were next to useless, but I've enjoyed making builds that can utilize them.
I'm still doubtful of builds with abilities that are based around dying. I feel like it's a waste of a slot.
i.e. Special Saver, Come Back, Haunt, Quick Respawn

Unless you can convince me otherwise :p

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I'm still doubtful of builds with abilities that are based around dying. I feel like it's a waste of a slot.
i.e. Special Saver, Come Back, Haunt, Quick Respawn

Unless you can convince me otherwise :p
Well, they aren't based around dying necessarily. But dying is almost inevitable, and any advantage you can get makes a difference. Quick respawn is good on weapons that can trade, typically short range weapons like the sploosh, rollers, or brushes. Since you respawn faster, the opponents play with a man down longer; hence the advantage. Also good on weapons that have a high impact but high vulnerability, like the dynamo rollers.

Special saver is good on weapons with a hard to get special, like kraken or inkzooka (although it can be useful on any weapon). Remember, dying is not the goal, it is just probably going to happen at least once or twice in a game. So, cutting down on how much you get punished for dying isn't bad. Two main special savers and you keep 80% of your meter.

The same is true for comeback. The perks it gives you after respawn is actually really effective. There is a reason people run quick respawn+comeback builds. Not only do they get a powerplay off a trade, but they get back into battle quicker as well.

Haunt is good because wall hacks are good. Haunt means that a good flanker is crippled because they can't sneak up on the whole team after the first kill.

There are plenty of reasons to run these abilities because while you aren't striving to get splatted, splats happen. Why not try to squeeze out any advantage you can?

Last edited:

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
I personally like these pieces of headgear:
Squid Nordic: :ability_comeback:I:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Comeback is really underrated but it allows for 5 main equivalents for 20 seconds after you die. Pair this with a faster re spawn time and it makes for a deadly re spawn game. I use this with the Dynamo Roller to get back in battle and the 20 second mains of swim speed and ink saver main really help me to do so.

:head_eye004:::ability_tenacity:I:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Another great headgear are the Black Arrowbands with Tenacity and with weapons such as the E-liter 3K, it helps fill your special faster while conserving special as you die. Plus it looks as snazzy as the White Arrowbands ;).

:head_cap006:::ability_swimspeed:I:ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_unknown:
I got really lucky on this Camo Mesh and since I have a set for the Vanilla Splatter shot: :clothes_swt001::ability_bombrange:I:ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage: and:shoes_cfs001:I:ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage:, it fits perfectly into my combo of bombs, mobility and more damage to kill.
5 main equivalents of which ability?
I can see that being useful for Dynamos and repawning faster just means more pressure.

I wouldn't expect an E-liter main to die as often since their usual position is to stay back and be defensive, so I'm not too certain on the usability of Quick Respawn. But obviously you found a good use for it.

Well, they aren't based around dying necessarily. But dying is almost inevitable, and any advantage you can get makes a difference. Quick respawn is good on weapons that can trade, typically short range weapons like the sploosh, rollers, or brushes. Since you respawn faster, the opponents play with a man down longer; hence the advantage. Also good on weapons that have a high impact but high vulnerability, like the dynamo rollers.

Special saver is good on weapons with a hard to get special, like kraken or inkzooka (although it can be useful on any weapon). Remember, dying is not the goal, it is just probably going to happen at least once or twice in a game. So, cutting down on how much you get punished for dying isn't bad. Two main special savers and you keep 80% of your meter.

The same is true for comeback. The perks it gives you after respawn is actually really effective. There is a reason people run quick respawn+comeback builds. Not only do they get a powerplay off a trade, but they get back into battle quicker as well.

Haunt is good because wall hacks are good. Haunt means that a good flanker is crippled because they can't sneak up on the whole team after the first kill.

There are plenty of reasons to run these abilities because while you aren't striving to get splatted, splats happen. Why not try to squeeze out any advantage you can?
I guess here's the beauty of different perspectives and strategies.

Yeah, I can see that happening for trades, but if you're trading so often... then it's probably best for a change of approach. Obviously, you do want to avoid trades. But like you said, if it does happen it helps for keeping pressure by respawning quickly.

Of course dying isn't the goal, but if you're really good at not dying then using Special Saver might not be as useful as Special Charge Up. To each their own, though.

That's a good point you brought up about Haunt. To prevent continual flanks. But also hoping that they aren't carrying Cold-Blooded.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Of course dying isn't the goal, but if you're really good at not dying then using Special Saver might not be as useful as Special Charge Up. To each their own, though.
Someone actually did the math on this: http://squidboards.com/threads/special-charge-up-vs-special-saver-math.16715/
The results:
With two mains, :ability_specialsaver: is efficient when splatted with ~40% charge or greater. :ability_specialcharge: is otherwise.

Unlike :ability_specialsaver:, :ability_specialcharge: helps you get your first special of a match and charge a special after expending one.

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic

SplatoonisBagels

Inkster Jr.
NNID
joje02
5 main equivalents of which ability?
I can see that being useful for Dynamos and repawning faster just means more pressure.

I wouldn't expect an E-liter main to die as often since their usual position is to stay back and be defensive, so I'm not too certain on the usability of Quick Respawn. But obviously you found a good use for it.
Looking at @Nintendome Comeback Ability Video, you can see how it increases Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub, Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up by 1 main each. That's 4 mains (I wrote 5 by accident. Sorry about that) worth of abilities stored in one main for 20 seconds. Also, you die at least 7-8 times or more in a game when you play offensively, allowing about 2 minutes or more worth of abilities in a game of 6 minute ranked battles. Of course, the goal is not to die but with some weapons, trades are inevitable including the Carbon, Luna or Dynamo. You trade for more of a benefit than the opponent so you still win in the situation.

Also, I was talking about how Tenacity was good for the E-liter 3K, not comeback ;). E-liter camps and plays defensive so an added bonus of special charge up from Tenacity is always helpful.

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
Looking at @Nintendome Comeback Ability Video, you can see how it increases Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub, Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up by 1 main each. That's 4 mains (I wrote 5 by accident. Sorry about that) worth of abilities stored in one main for 20 seconds. Also, you die at least 7-8 times or more in a game when you play offensively, allowing about 2 minutes or more worth of abilities in a game of 6 minute ranked battles. Of course, the goal is not to die but with some weapons, trades are inevitable including the Carbon, Luna or Dynamo. You trade for more of a benefit than the opponent so you still win in the situation.

Also, I was talking about how Tenacity was good for the E-liter 3K, not comeback ;). E-liter camps and plays defensive so an added bonus of special charge up from Tenacity is always helpful.

I read more into Comeback the other day, it does seem useful. Seems a lot better than Opening Gambit, which is only run and swim speed up for 30 seconds at the beginning. I may run Comeback with Tentatek Splattershot since that's more of an offensive weapon. Darn, I missed the Squid Nordic yesterday.

Oh and my bad. I missed that. You were talking about Tenacity. Yeah, Tenacity would definitely be useful for chargers.

SplatoonisBagels

Inkster Jr.
NNID
joje02
I read more into Comeback the other day, it does seem useful. Seems a lot better than Opening Gambit, which is only run and swim speed up for 30 seconds at the beginning. I may run Comeback with Tentatek Splattershot since that's more of an offensive weapon. Darn, I missed the Squid Nordic yesterday.
You can order my Squid Nordic with all three quick re spawns if you want. I'll add you or you add me, my nnid is in my profile box.
And I know that every ability is viable like weapons but Opening Gambit and Last Ditch Effort don't seem to be as effective to devoting a main like some other abilities. Comeback is surely better than that.

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
You can order my Squid Nordic with all three quick re spawns if you want. I'll add you or you add me, my nnid is in my profile box.
And I know that every ability is viable like weapons but Opening Gambit and Last Ditch Effort don't seem to be as effective to devoting a main like some other abilities. Comeback is surely better than that.
I've been in this thread and we're all trying to figure out how to get the triple subs from Spyke, because he doesn't always offer it.
But yeah, I'll add you when I get home from school.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Sadly, this is true.

This is what I'm currently using:

With this setup, you want either 3 Bomb Range mains (for a bit of extra Bomb Range) or 2 Damage Mains and 1 Bomb Range main (for a bit of extra Damage), any other combination doesn't give a boost.

I'll get back to you when I roll the Damage mains with Bomb Range subs x.x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom