• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What if Nintendo introduced a grab technique in Splatoon?

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Let's say an enemy inkling is trying to get a close KO on you. I mean if they are really close to you, you press ZL or some other button, and your inkling can grab them. You then have to hit the attack button before the other player, if you do, your inkling does this cool little move that splats them. There can be a different attack animation for each weapon category. However if the other player presses the button before you, they will break away. You won't be invincible during the grab if another enemy inkling sees you and can splat you to save their teamate. I think if they introduced a grab technique it could change the game in a few interesting ways but that's just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Remillo

Inkling
NNID
Remillo
Very unlikely and would change the balance of the game dramatically. The only perk to using short range, low TTK weapons like the Sploosh and... huh, the Aerospray, is that with Ninjas skills you can sneak up on unsuspecting Mid- and Long-Range enemies to splat them quickly. If you added close-range, melee-style combat, it would completely negate the downside of using something like an E-Liter or a Non-Luna Blaster. You'd just have to be vigilant and grab people when they get close enough that your weapon is ineffective.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Obvious MGS-Fan is obvious. ;P
And I am glad to see another CQC-fan on board. I love CQC!

But yeah, I can see how it can drastically change the balance.
So if they want to explore Melee-attacks, they better save it for a sequel and balance the weapons along with them.

Although it shouldn't splat them, but rather stun them.
Your weapons should still be your "killing" tool.
While melee-attacks should be more of an assist-tool, that can stun or knock them out.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I never liked the whole melee attack gimmick in shooters. Seems stupid having to shoot someone five times to kill them, but a single punch or elbow to the face does the job.

I think this sort of thing needs to stay in CoD/Battlefield. I love Splatoon because it isn't a cookie-cutter online shooter. Personally, I'd like to keep it that way.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I think MGS handles this well, as there is "Lethal" and "Non-Lethal" Damage.
Lethal damage kills, while non-lethal damages incapacitates an opponent for a short amount of time.

And yes, this is also present in the Online-Battles.
But you actually have to get close to the opponent, which is not easy at all.
But if you manage to do it, you will have your opponent at your mercy.

I dunno, but I love the thought of having a similar system set in Splatoon.
Weapons kill, and Melee-Attacks incapacitates you for a short time.

But like I said, not in this incarnation.
If melee-attacks should be a thing to begin with, do it in a sequel.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
For what its worth, I did enjoy the melee attack from Halo (dat 1, 2 kill, you know?), but is there even a way for that to work in splatoon?

The button placements that would work well have all been taken, and the shoulder buttons would make it feel kinda useless.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Much as it would be cool to grab somebody with your tentacles and slam them into your ink, I can't see it as anything but unwieldy in the current game. I figure that Nintendo could make it work, though, if they were so inclined.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I think MGS handles this well, as there is "Lethal" and "Non-Lethal" Damage.
Lethal damage kills, while non-lethal damages incapacitates an opponent for a short amount of time.

And yes, this is also present in the Online-Battles.
But you actually have to get close to the opponent, which is not easy at all.
But if you manage to do it, you will have your opponent at your mercy.

I dunno, but I love the thought of having a similar system set in Splatoon.
Weapons kill, and Melee-Attacks incapacitates you for a short time.

But like I said, not in this incarnation.
If melee-attacks should be a thing to begin with, do it in a sequel.
Thing is, we're taking a gameplay mechanic out of a game it was designed for and putting it into a game where it would not really serve a useful purpose simply because it's cool. That's actually the reasoning behind some of the worst game design in history: devs took something that worked great in another game and failed to use it effectively in their own. They liked the mechanic itself and didn't pay attention to how it was integrated in the greater whole of the game that popularized it.

"CQC" has a history in the Metal Gear series. It has context, and makes sense in those games because of how the games played and the story behind how Big Boss learned it. All of that is missing in Splatoon. It would be kinda like giving Inklings Jedi powers simply because those are fun to use in the Star Wars Battlefront games.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
Rollers, Inkbrushes and Buckets pretty much act as your weapons for melee combat. Anything further than that will just complicate the game than it needs to be.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think that either that would make close-range weapons pointless or close-range weapons would make it pointless. To be honest, I've never been a fan of insta-kill attacks in multiplayer games (even here I dislike them a lot), so I wouldn't really like another one to worry about, especially if it's there all the time :confused:

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
No.
Even some of the slowest weapons fire fast enough that you just can't stand in their line of sight and grab them without getting weakened significantly.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
All right guys chill. It was just an interesting game mechanic I thought of. That's all. I can see some of you guys aren't too fond of my idea.

crunchgames

Inkling Cadet
NNID
crunchgames
I think some inkbrush flashy animations to finish them off would be nice, like when they are at 1 hp, if you tap a button at the right moment, you could do some assassians creed/saints row finish them animation.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I think some inkbrush flashy animations to finish them off would be nice, like when they are at 1 hp, if you tap a button at the right moment, you could do some assassians creed/saints row finish them animation.
lol hey Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom