What is a good weapon for rainmaker?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I strongly believe that the
*spoilers*
Carbon Roller Deco will absolutely be dominating Rainmaker once it comes out.
SPREADING PATHS QUICKLY, ONE-SHOTTING QUICKLY, SEEKER RUSH, SEEKER RUSH, SEEKER RUSH!!!
I disagree. (WARNING: LONGPOST AHEAD, TLDR AT BOTTOM)
Seekers can be jumped over, though Seeker Rush sounds interesting it probably will only help on stages that are or contain long horizontal stretches (Walleye and Arowana come to mind, though mostly the former), and the range on the roller itself is tiny so you're reliant on Seekers and Seeker Rushes to deal with most enemies at mid- to long-range, and you're helpless against anyone above you. Also, the Seeker's one-shotting capabilities only matter at range; up close, you can just flick. It's more important on something like the Aerospray MG, which doesn't have much power otherwise (outside of Inkzooka), or the .52 Gal Deco, which could use a good way to ink long paths to travel down to close the distance for easy splats (though it's not necessarily bad at doing this with its main fire, it's just unnecessary when you have Seekers); honestly the Carbon Roller doesn't really need Seekers at all, since it has power and moves pretty quickly while rolling. In fact, the Deco seems like a serious downgrade when compared to the original Carbon, since Burst Bombs can soften up foes to be splatted at the tip of your flick range, quickly cover walls for easy climbing or scout for foes hidden in their own ink (though Seekers can do that last one, but I'd argue not as well as Burst Bombs since they won't turn to chase submerged squids) and Inkzooka gives the Carbon Roller much-needed horizontal and vertical reach (Seekers can provide the former, but not as quickly, and while Seeker Rush fires faster than Inkzooka with less pushback on each shot it can't hit anyone above you, which is a terrible blind spot to have). The Carbon Roller Deco might be good, but I can't see it dominating anything.
For Rainmaker-specific points of why the Carbon Roller Deco will not dominate (according to me, anyway), here are a few:
1) Seekers are good for two things in Rainmaker; dealing big damage to the Rainmaker from a distance, which it is good at (though its ink cost is quite high for this purpose, you might be better off with a long-ranged Shooter/Charger-type weapon, and Burst Bombs can do less damage from a wider variety of locations), and creating long paths for the Rainmaker to travel down, which it is also good at (though Chargers and long-range Shooters can do this as well, and Rollers can make wider ink-roads into nemy territory, though possibly slower). I think that the Carbon Roller can make use of Seekers very well (especially Seeker Rush) for popping the Rainmaker from afar (whereas otherwise it runs the risk of being outdamaged at the shield and splatted when it pops), but it can create paths by just rolling, so Seekers are only useful in the situation when you aren't sure you'll be safe inking it by rolling. Not exactly dominating, that.
2) Seekers are rarely good for combat. Yes, they can one-shot, but you can jump over them if you see or hear them coming, so they probably won't get you any splats. Additionally, they're ground-bound, so you can't reach enemies above you or across a gap with them. It's kind of like shooting a mini-Carbon-Roller that can't jump or flick, goes really far in a straight line, can't be shot to stop it, and explodes if it hits a Splash Wall or regular wall. Which is very useful, but not for a regular-size Carbon Roller. At least, I don't think so.
3) The Carbon Roller isn't great on its own. Yes, it can ink wide paths fairly quickly for your Rainmaker carrier and any bodyguards, but its swings have little forward reach, so you have to close in to score splats. It's not terrible, but it needs a good ranged weapon or two in its loadout to stand a chance in any form of ranged combat.
This is where the Seekers and Seeker Rush let the Deco down. Yes, both are ranged attacks, but horizontal range is only half of the Carbon Roller's problem; nothing in the Deco's loadout gives it vertical reach, the other half of the Carbon Roller's biggest flaw. Without that, any enemy on a ledge above you becomes an unwinnable fight, which is not good in Splatoon where you can easily climb up to higher vantage points. This alone wrecks the Deco's chances more than anything else, in my eyes.
3x) Despite the weaknesses of the Carbon Roller that I just listed, I think the original Carbon Roller is fairly good for Rainmaker, unlike its decorated counterpart. Much like my reason for thinking the Deco's gonna suck a bit, I think the original Carbon Roller is good for Rainmaker entirely because of its loadout. Specifically, the Carbon's loadout gives it Burst Bombs and Inkzooka, which allow the Carbon Roller to attack from mid-to-long-range both horizontally and, far more importantly for this comparison, vertically. Burst Bombs can be thrown upward to go over obstructions or just hit high places, allowing the Carbon Roller to safely contribute to shield-breaking from a decent distance; additionally, you can use a Burst Bomb at close range to soften up or finish off enemies. Inkzooka is a Special, so it's not always available and not to be relied on (so Burst Bombs go from great to invaluable), but when you do have it it's a long-ranged one-shot with good vertical range whose only weakness is having recoil on each shot, firing a bit slowly and having a thin-ish shot (not crippling weaknesses, but should be kept in mind).
(TLDR) So overall, I can't see the Carbon Roller Deco dominating Rainmaker, primarily because it lacks vertical reach but also because the regular Carbon Roller is a better choice.
Though that's all just my opinion. I could be wrong. I'll definitely be trying out the Deco when it drops, so hopefully I'll be surprised then.

Last edited:

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I'm liking the N-Zap 85 on this right now; Fires fast, covers ground fast, good for both going towards the rainmaker or enemy base or just removing trails someone put towards your own base when nobody was looking (I hate when they do that). Doesnt have the Inkstrike! Has Splat Bombs, great deterrents and hits the shield pretty hard. Has Echolocator, my own personal favorite special, which is great when your team has the thing, since it makes it easier for the person with the Rainmaker to spot oncoming threats; you cant ambush anyone when they can see you through walls! Fills up that meter quickly, too. .....Doesnt have the Inkstrike! I mention I hate that special?

Also my usual Splatling works well here for a whole pile of reasons. That thing is FANTASTIC for defending stuff.

Blobface

Inkster Jr.
NNID
everyone1
I find Octobrush perfectly effective, but I always use brushes no matter what, so maybe it's actually terrible and I just don't know it yet.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I find Octobrush perfectly effective, but I always use brushes no matter what, so maybe it's actually terrible and I just don't know it yet.
For Rainmaker? I prefer other weapons, but I wouldn't say the Octobrush is bad at all.
Firstly, it has respectable power and speed (though the range isn't great), allowing it to splat the Rainmaker carrier fairly easily (or just about anyone you can get in range of, but the carrier's easiest because they're slower and have to charge up to hit you). I don't think you can do much damage to the Rainmaker's shield on your own, at least without Kraken (which really shouldn't be popped just to pop the shield, it's not an Inkstrike), so there's that to consider.
Secondly, the run speed while brushing is great; it's not Inkbrush speed, but it leaves a slightly wider trail and is still pretty quick, so it's good for making a road for the Rainmaker.
Thirdly, Squid Beakons are useful when you're pushing, to get back into enemy territory faster, and possibly also when the enemy team is pushing, to get behind them (though I wouldn't go setting up Beakons while they're pushing). They're not a direct attack, but at times they're arguably more useful by getting a teammate or two who have those into the field faster than swimming would get them there.
Finally, the Octobrush comes with a great Special, the Kraken. It actually gets some offensive usefulness here, since you can rush the slowed Rainmaker with it for (probably) an easy splat. It still retains its defensive utility though, in that you can use it when you're under attack to turn invincible and escape with the best mobility in the game (since you ink surfaces as you move, so as long as you stick to inkable surfaces you're golden). Additionally, the Kraken can be used to safely carve a path for the Rainmaker, since it's invincible and thus can swim through enemy fire with impunity (though try not to get pushed around). Also, the Kraken can pop the Rainmaker's shield pretty quickly, but that's more of a post-splatting-the-Rainmaker-carrier bonus than anything, and you really shouldn't blow your Kraken for that purpose.
Overall, it's more of a support weapon, but it's still pretty good, or at least I've made it work.

As for what I prefer for Rainmaker (because I don't think I ever said, in any of my ramblings):
I like the Aerospray MG. It's got a stellar fire rate and good enough spread that I can afford to be less than perfectly accurate. Also, Seekers are good for attacking the Rainmaker from a distance, and Inkzooka is both a great long-range attack (something the Aerospray needs) and deals pretty good damage to the shield too. It lacks range, but that's okay since I try to get close all the time anyway.
Also, the Carbon Roller's gone fairly well when I used it. I covered it in one of the longposts, but for a brief bullet-points version:
1) It has power and speed (but its range blows).
2) Burst Bombs and Inkzooka give it options for ranged combat.
3) Burst Bombs also help you go up walls more easily.
Read the bottom few paragraphs of the longpost for a more detailed version (at least, I think it is).
Alsoalso, the .52 Gal Deco's gone decently for me in the past. It's got power and range (though its fire rate's a tad slow), Seekers are great for mobility, and Inkstrike has Marth-level shield-breaking power.
Additionally, the N-Zap '89 is something I like. It's got Sprinklers, which can attack the shield remotely (from inside the shield, too) or just cover areas remotely, has Inkstrikes for Inkstriking the shield, and has a great fire rate with decent range (though its damage isn't the best).

Last edited:

Bolt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EnderBolt
I disagree. (WARNING: LONGPOST AHEAD, TLDR AT BOTTOM)
Seekers can be jumped over, though Seeker Rush sounds interesting it probably will only help on stages that are or contain long horizontal stretches (Walleye and Arowana come to mind, though mostly the former), [...] (TLDR) So overall, I can't see the Carbon Roller dominating Rainmaker, primarily because it lacks vertical reach but also because the regular Carbon Roller is a better choice.
Though that's all just my opinion. I could be wrong. I'll definitely be trying out the Deco when it drops, so hopefully I'll be surprised then.
Thanks, this was an amazing post :D My opinion on it has certainly changed now, thanks :)

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I find the Mini Splatling great for Rainmaker personally. Suctions are great grenades (and sometimes you'll catch a rainmaker bearer off-guard!), Inkzooka wrecks enemies with Charger-like reach, and the weapon itself is very comparable to the Tentatek Splattershot and its charged bursts can really help pop that shield. Bursting streams of ink for coverage and pathmaking is pretty much the same as you'd do with a Charger, but you're incredibly quick and straddle the line between the snapshooting marksmen with Squiffers and Bamboozlers and the gunner-grenadiers with Tentateks.

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
Rainmaker itself is all you need. It's actually secretly the best weapon in the game. So my tip is building a setup focused on being the man on Rainmaker and learning that weapon.

Besides that it's like every mode: every weapon is viable.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
For Rainmaker it really doesn't matter what weapon you use, as long as you're comfortable with it. Unlike other gamemodes, literally every special is useful in this mode. Inkstrike/Killer Wail can cover approaches and insta pop the RM shield, bomb rush literally stops all in their paths, Kraken is kraken, etc. Heck even ink mines come in handy on this gamemode. However if you're just looking for a weapon just to use for RM as you're a squiffer user(?) just go 96 Gal Deco or 52 Gal (either variety). Both of those along with Tentatek are quite easy to use in this mode.

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
I take it someone has never played roller vs charger on moray towers
A good charger will make you feel like a toddler trying to swim over the Atlantic ocean on any mode or map. I have had rollers kick my *** on the said mode.

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
A good charger will make you feel like a toddler trying to swim over the Atlantic ocean on any mode or map. I have had rollers kick my *** on the said mode.
The problem here is that there's you have to swim through the center, and a charger with decent teammates will shut you down. On places like Bluefin you can flank from the other side, but here you don't have options. If you don't gain control of the center first, then a roller can do well, but it's very one sided.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Anything you can kill well with. Rainmaker is very combat based, so you just need a weapon you can kill others with that you feel comfortable with.

The Ink Rose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
an55432
Either the 96GD, any charger, and the lunablaster are the best weapons for rainmaker IMO

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
Custom Dual Squelcher. Beakons to stay pushed up, wails to keep them away. Range to rival the .96 Gal.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Said range may not work sometimes.

Trust me. Krakens are annoying.
Actually they have (or at least should have) the same range, and the Dual Squelcher can often fend off Krakens as long as there's still ink left in the tank :ability_inksavermain:

The Ink Rose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
an55432
Actually they have (or at least should have) the same range, and the Dual Squelcher can often fend off Krakens as long as there's still ink left in the tank :ability_inksavermain:
Not really IMO. Splashwalls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom