• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What is considered a "support" role in this game?

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
I'm not going to lie, I've never been a fan of pure offense in any game, especially team shooters. I always go for the defensive or support roles, I get the most enjoyment out of indirectly helping teammates and seeing us win rather than feeling like I was the hero or the "top scorer". Mainly because I'm really not the best at aiming, and most notably not the best at staying alive when I go aggro.

However, I'm having trouble understanding what the best way to help my team would be in ranked splat zones. Which weapons should I use and what should be my goal as a supporter? Is support even a viable role in top level ranked games?

shane3x

Full Squid
I think Inkbrush might be up your alley. At the very start you use it to rush the zone(s). With this weapon you will reach any zone faster then anyone else. The ink trail you leave behind as you do so will allow your team mates to also reach the zone at the same time as you so they can get an early capture and start setting up defensive positions to get ready for the incoming enemy team.

Due to the fact its essentially a very fast roller, you can break into any part of the map inked or not. Say if there is a section of the map that hasnt got anyone in it but its heavily inked. Normally people would have to shoot their way through it and this takes time and will be noticed on the map. However you can just blitz right on in, melee/splash ink a zone and then get out and escape anyone who reacts to it. You could enter enemy spawn point and ink their entrances making it take longer for them to leave if they cant squid jump.

Its also a good ambush weapon as you dont want to be fighting things head on anyway.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
If you're looking for a more support-ish role then check out my guide and feel free to leave a review if you like it :)
Although the role i discuss doesn't exempt you from gun fights (i don't you can effectively help your team while avoiding all gunfights unfortunately) it is definitely a "supporting" role in that it directly helps your teammates.

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
If you're looking for a more support-ish role then check out my guide and feel free to leave a review if you like it :)
Although the role i discuss doesn't exempt you from gun fights (i don't you can effectively help your team while avoiding all gunfights unfortunately) it is definitely a "supporting" role in that it directly helps your teammates.
The only major downside I see to this strategy is that it lowers your access to Specials, which could put the anchor at a significant disadvantage in defending.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
The only major downside I see to this strategy is that it lowers your access to Specials, which could put the anchor at a significant disadvantage in defending.
If you play it right you aren't lowering your specials all that much at all.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
I feel like support is infiltrating in this game. Kill them as they try to go to center, so your teamates can control it. You dont get points, but you get lots of kills, and it helps you win the game.

Kzero

Inkster Jr.
Personally, I feel the .52 Gal with Splash Wall and Killer Wail is the ideal setup for support. With the .52 Gal, you get the opportunity to lay down heavy coverage, decent distance, and it's got a kick to it that you can use as a "warning" to anyone approaching your area. Coupled with the Splash Wall, it's a perfect combination to control certain choke points on maps. For example:

(Credit to jCOnyx for an excellent map, in his competition strat thread here: http://squidboards.com/threads/turf-war-competitive-strategies-control-points.633/ )

Typically on this map you want to control 1, 2, and your side of the map (the lanes coming from your H). For me, the best result has been blocking the main entrance leading into section 2. I do this by laying ink in an "X" pattern at the main entrance going into 2. This provides an early warning that enemies are coming, as they will be looking to cover your ink to advance. Once I feel they are close enough (but not too close of course), I throw down a Splash Wall to halt their progress. At that point, they have no choice but to shoot my Splash Wall or wait till it runs out. They cannot pass through it by normal means, nor can they even shoot through it. The best part is that you can pass through it and shoot through it. Which gives you an immediate advantage, and leaves you with a couple of options.

1. Be offensive/aggressive and lay down more ink in the "X" pattern like before or go for a kill
2. Refill your ink as soon as you throw down your Splash Wall, to have another ready once it runs out (rinse,repeat)

Using this strategy has helped quite a bit since my team can super jump to me or cover the sections behind me as I defend the choke point. Obviously it isn't without flaws. The enemy team can just come over the walls from their lane or on either side of the Splash Wall, but in the heat of the moment, they're not really thinking strategies, and are usually more focused on pushing forward. That's not even including ways you can push back the enemy team with Killer Wail, while you setup some more or make a quick retreat to safety.

There's also a bit of strategy you can use on Blackbelly Skatepark with the Splash Wall...

Simply go to the center platform (the tall one in the middle), go to the very edge of the platform closest to your side (UP ARROW) , aim straight down and throw a Splash Wall towards the DOWN ARROW. It will land on the every edge and face towards the enemy side. Now you have a limited window to spray ink on the enemy side without immediate fear of being sniped or splashed. Watch your ink and surroundings though!

Sorry for the poorly slapped together pics and thought process. It's 1am and the bed is haunting my thoughts. Goodnight! Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
Personally, I feel the .52 Gal with Splash Wall and Killer Wail is the ideal setup for support. With the .52 Gal, you get the opportunity to lay down heavy coverage, decent distance, and it's got a kick to it that you can use as a "warning" to anyone approaching your area. Coupled with the Splash Wall, it's a perfect combination to control certain choke points on maps. For example:

(Credit to jCOnyx for an excellent map, in his competition strat thread here: http://squidboards.com/threads/turf-war-competitive-strategies-control-points.633/ )

Typically on this map you want to control 1, 2, and your side of the map (the lanes coming from your H). For me, the best result has been blocking the main entrance leading into section 2. I do this by laying ink in an "X" pattern at the main entrance going into 2. This provides an early warning that enemies are coming, as they will be looking to cover your ink to advance. Once I feel they are close enough (but not too close of course), I throw down a Splash Wall to halt their progress. At that point, they have no choice but to shoot my Splash Wall or wait till it runs out. They cannot pass through it by normal means. The best part is that you can pass through it and shoot through it. Which gives you an immediate advantage, and leaves you with a couple of options.

1. Be offensive/aggressive and lay down more ink in the "X" pattern like before or go for a kill
2. Refill your ink as soon as you throw down your Splash Wall, to have another ready once it runs out (rinse,repeat)

Using this strategy has helped quite a bit since my team can super jump to me or cover the sections behind me as I defend the choke point. Obviously it isn't without flaws. The enemy team can just come over the walls from their lane or on either side of the Splash Wall, but in the heat of the moment, they're not really thinking strategies, and are usually more focused on pushing forward. That's not even including ways you can push back the enemy team with Killer Wail, while you setup some more or make a quick retreat to safety.

There's also a bit of strategy you can use on Blackbelly Skatepark with the Splash Wall...

Simply go to the center platform (the tall one in the middle), go to the very edge of the platform closest to your side (UP ARROW) , aim straight down and throw a Splash Wall towards the UP ARROW. It will land on the every edge and face towards the enemy side. Now you have a limited window to spray ink on the enemy side without immediate fear of being sniped or splashed. Watch your ink and surroundings though!

Sorry for the poorly slapped together pics and thought process. It's 1am and the bed is haunting my thoughts. Goodnight! Hope it helps!
Very helpful, thank you!

It's funny you say .52 Gal because that's actually one of my favorite weapons so far and the ink wall is one of my favorite secondaries. I've been opting for the .52 Deco because of the ink strike, but after playing with the Jet Squelcher (also another favorite) I realize how much I enjoy the usage of the wall. It really does help. I've never tested this myself, but do you know if the wall stops all enemy ink bullets/projectiles? Or is it only there to prevent players from passing?

shane3x

Full Squid
Very helpful, thank you!

It's funny you say .52 Gal because that's actually one of my favorite weapons so far and the ink wall is one of my favorite secondaries. I've been opting for the .52 Deco because of the ink strike, but after playing with the Jet Squelcher (also another favorite) I realize how much I enjoy the usage of the wall. It really does help. I've never tested this myself, but do you know if the wall stops all enemy ink bullets/projectiles? Or is it only there to prevent players from passing?
It stops enemy bullets from passing through but allows you and your team to shoot through it. The duration that the wall lasts for however does reduce if they shoot at it, although if they are shooting at it thats less ink and concentration on you.

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
So I've been experimenting with different guns trying to find my support mojo. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the N-Zap. I've come to the conclusion that the Echolocator is probably the best supportive special in the game (arguably the Bubbler is the best, but only if your team is very coordinated). I'm also really digging the long range and the fire speed is good enough to fend off enemies up close if have to, something that the Squelchers can't really do.

MINUS

The Once and Future King
NNID
TRUEB7UE
So I've been experimenting with different guns trying to find my support mojo. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the N-Zap. I've come to the conclusion that the Echolocator is probably the best supportive special in the game (arguably the Bubbler is the best, but only if your team is very coordinated). I'm also really digging the long range and the fire speed is good enough to fend off enemies up close if have to, something that the Squelchers can't really do.
It's because you beat me to it lol ;)

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
Support. Dat homey that got your back while you front the enemy: The Sniper. Bubbles? We ain't sippin' on Chemical X in the skyscrapers, my brotha.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
I would really consider sniping if I didn't miss 90% of my snipes.
I suggest Kelp Splatterscope. Really easy on the eyes.

Oh man. That distinct clink sound when snipe-splatting some squiddo is satisfying every time.

halpenstance

Inkling
I've been looking to try to find a good support weapon. And slowly I'm realizing that the Ink Roller type weapons are surprisingly support-y.

I used to think they were the tanks, then men in the front line, but because of how easy they are to pick off, and the lack of range, they really don't have a place in the front lines. Instead, their job is to cover the ground where there aren't any enemies. Then, when you combine that with the Krakon's waypoint secondary, you become a huge asset to your team. Ink your way to a secluded spot, toss down a waypoint, continue inking into the enemy base. You never have to force a firefight, your aim doesn't matter at all, and you provide utility to the team that normal guns don't.

Once I realized that role, my winrate has gone up. I don't get quite the same number of points that I used to, but being a credit to the team is a good idea.

(Written with Turf Wars in mind, but still relevant for Splat Zones)

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
The sniper are good "Supporters" cause they dont ink that much turf and are only here to defend o3o

Kikaioh

Full Squid
I also like to play in a support role, and my favorite weapon so far is the Jet Squelcher with the paint wall. In Splat Zones I like to use the Squelcher in two ways, one is to shoot out paths towards specific areas to allow swim access for teammates, the other is to paint horizontal blocks to prevent enemies from having swim access towards our side of the map. I also paint out safe areas that I can quickly swim back to so that I can use the Ink Strike without worrying about getting targeted. I've also found that the paint wall can help make a safe area for teammates to jump to if your team is falling behind, and can help with staging a comeback sometimes. Since the Squelcher has a good range, it also helps to break the opponent's control of a zone from a distance without having to get too close to the action, which seems helpful if your team's on the ropes and they're trying to get back to the zone area. The range also seems helpful in supporting teammates that are actively attacking opponents (either to ark over your teammate or an incline to push back the enemy, or just to attack the enemy from a distance/angle they're not expecting, esp. enemies on hard-to-reach platforms). The paint wall can be good for blocking off enemy access pathways to give you or teammates a chance to refill your ink, and the inkstrike also seems good to give support from a distance, block off access points, or break control of a zone from the opponent.

That all said, I'm still trying to flesh out my style, I'm only at B- still and have a lot of figuring out to do, but at least for that weapon set I think it's been useful in those ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom