• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What is the "meta objective" of Tower Control?

BluEyes

Senior Squid
Tower control is serious biz. It meta objective is to outnumber the opponents 4-2 at minimum. When you achieve that, then only you can assess if its safe to take the tower.

1)Ignore the tower./ Locate your opponents.
2) take it to 4-2 or 3-1.
3) Ride tower if its safe.
4) If you are outnumbered, wait for enforcement.never take the tower alone unless it gives you the lead with little time to go.
5) Re-Engage at 3-4.
6) Defend when you have considerable lead.

Do not worry losing the lead when the game just started, most of the time the team with more survivors will be able to retake the tower and ride it longer.
This is how i play. It will not win all matches, but it will make it more tactical and fun!

1o2

Inkling Cadet
-Don't always go for the knockout. Sometimes the best way to win a game is just defend them from breaking your lead. On some maps it is VERY difficult to get past some points. Mall can be very easy to defend if you camp from above and just fire down on the tower. Port Mackeral is also relatively easy to constantly defend, as it's all close quarters combat. Bluefin Depot also is a very easy map to defend.

-Bubble based weapons (idk exact name) but things like Luma Blaster are incredibly good in this format. Suction bombs, Inkzooka, Killer Wail, Bubbler, and Ink mines are all great specials/bombs to use. Inkstrike to some degree is useful, as you can cover your approach.

-Territory control is very important. If you can't seem to take back the tower in neutral (Mid map), chances are the enemy has covered most of the field with ink. If your team is trying to rush when the entire enemy is dead, but the opponent's ink is everywhere, cover it ASAP.

-Something people always forget is that you don't have to ride the tower back to neutral if it's in your territory. You only have to get on top of the tower once, then jump off and it immediately goes back to neutral if you ward off the enemy.

-If you play as a sniper, sometimes you have to get on the tower, not saying someone should often, but it can win games.

-Try to avoid defensive/campier weapons, this is a game mode where you can easily carry a team to victory. Splat Zones you can't exactly carry imo, you can do a significant portion of the work which may lead to victory, but you can't be the sole cause. In Tower Control, I can quite literally win the game by getting on the tower and using Inkzooka.

-Abilities to greatly consider are Quick Jump, Stealth Jump, Quick Respawn, and Bomb range up.

Hopefully this helped.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
There´s no need to focus at every moment on the tower, try to find hidden routes to the enemy´s back door and surprise them. If you can flank the enemy and paint all the Turf between you and the tower, when you reach the enemy from behind and get the tower you have a great advantage as the tower will have to traverse through your already painted turf. This can stop the enemy and help your team enough to get through that difficult chokepoint and win the match.

Make yourself useful and don´t be afraid to ride the tower, I´ve lost a lot of matches because of teammates being allergic to riding on the tower. Learn how to evade bombs when riding the tower. Placing/throwing a suction bomb on the tower is a common strategy, but if you move to the opposite side of the tower the explosion won´t harm you. Use the walls of the tower to hide, be creative, like throwing an Ink Wall from a weird angle so it stays on the tower. And always keep an eye for hidden mines when hopping to the tower, this may easily be the no.1 squid casualty factor in TC.

Also, don´t be afraid to jump from the tower when you find opposition. Riding the tower makes you an easy target, so try to anticipate the places where the enemy will be coming from and use that to your advantage: get down, surprise them from an unexpected angle, get back on the tower.

At some moments quick jumping to the tower is a valid strategy, specially if your whole team is doing it, though this is really only advisable when you are near the goal or the time´s ending and you need a last push. You´ll die a lot, but as long as you can make the tower move those 5 meters you need it´s good.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
-Abilities to greatly consider are Quick Jump, Stealth Jump, Quick Respawn, and Bomb range up.
Now that you mention abilities... how about Comeback? As it boosts so many stats for 20 seconds after respawn AND as you tend to die often in TC, I think it's just perfect for this mode. And it's headgear-exclusive, so you can still use Ink Resistance and Cold-Blooded at the same time.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Now that you mention abilities... how about Comeback? As it boosts so many stats for 20 seconds after respawn AND as you tend to die often in TC, I think it's just perfect for this mode. And it's headgear-exclusive, so you can still use Ink Resistance and Cold-Blooded at the same time.
Only reason why I didn't list comeback is because some games you can completely dominate a team, where you only die once or twice, in which case it's kinda a waste. Another reason why I didn't list it is because it's only for roughly 20 seconds, and most of the time that won't make a difference if you aren't in a position where you can super jump to your teammates for more offensive pressure (say they are like getting destroyed and it's better to walk). BUT don't get me wrong it's still an amazing ability for this game mode, as there are tons of times where you can super jump and still benefit from the buffs/need to defend your spawn.

Nibroc

rasutosutāman
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I call this mode "Cluster F***". First rule of CF, don't try to Rambo the tower solo repeatedly. As long as the tower's near mid, prep to ambush once your teammates arrive, or work on an alternate path to suprise them from another angle. Try to gauge when a skirmish starts on the map near the tower, then attack their flank at a slight delay. Of course scouting out for any enemy support from their rear.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
1. Turn off your Wii U.
2. Turn it back on.
3. Open Splatoon.
4. Go back to Turf War.
5. You win!

...Just kidding, generally I try to cover the area where the tower starts at and bring it as far as I can although I don't have a lot of experience. Mostly because every single game my teammates refuse to assist me in any way. :(

deepseadiva

Full Squid
One good habit: whenever you have "free time" on the Tower, usually the first few seconds from neutral when the opposing team is regrouping, spend time creating an escape route. Ink an area to evacuate to. Very important to not only create pressure, but keep pressure applied with minimal risk.

I main the .96 Gal Deco and the splash wall, like most subs, gets an interesting alternate use in this mode. I'm sure most people by now know how to throw the wall on the tower itself, which is a strong move, though only possible in specific situations. But another excellent way to play is to simply throw it behind the tower as your team advances forward. Anytime the tower is halted in enemy territory you can essentially freeze it in place by throwing a wall to block it returning. It will KO enemies that try to ride through it, protects you from hits, and gives your fallen tower riders a chance to super jump back to keep pushing.

At first this mode was chaos, but know I love it due to the Gal Deco. xD

Another thing, once the tower has advanced enough into enemy territory, I've found little reason not to keep super jumping back, getting splatted, and then jumping, then getting splatted, and then jumping over and over into victory. When victory is only a few feet away, and everyone is concentrated you lose nothing by keeping that pressure held. At worst, the push fails and you meet your enemy at neutral once again. This is the only time I've found super jumping not only useful, but REQUIRED.

Njok

Bouncer
Another thing, once the tower has advanced enough into enemy territory, I've found little reason not to keep super jumping back, getting splatted, and then jumping, then getting splatted, and then jumping over and over into victory. When victory is only a few feet away, and everyone is concentrated you lose nothing by keeping that pressure held. At worst, the push fails and you meet your enemy at neutral once again. This is the only time I've found super jumping not only useful, but REQUIRED.
This is pretty much exactly what you should not be doing imo. The only exception being when there is like 10 left to go.

Also it would require at least 1 teammate to stay alive long enough for you to superjump back to, and then for you to do the same so the next teammate can jump, etc etc. If you're opponent is bad enough to let that happen, you should not be in a situation where you keep getting killed in the first place.

If you regroup and just wait them in your own territory, where you have the advantage, instead of all jumping towards a quick death, you'd be way better off. It's not easy for them to get past a point where 4 enemies await in their own ink.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
I suppose the situation I'm describing is only when the opponent is still trying to clear the tower. When it's in enemy territory, and your team has the tower, it's suddenly wall of bodies vs ink tanks.

Ink tanks run out though, and if you can keep the wall of bodies up, you eventually win the battle to make a deep push, if not a straight up knockout.

As soon as the enemy is up on the tower, you are right the push is over and the team should regroup.

I would say this is viable with less than a 10 point lead. I would say it gets attractive around 35ish, and then optimal around 30.

Before that you risk losing ground if the push fails.

Njok

Bouncer
Well the thing is, that even if you do manage to keep jumping back (which really isn't that easy because of reasons i mentioned in my last post) you'd still be jumping into their territory. Meaning that you'll usually have only one way of the tower, which is behind you. So basically you are making it really easy for them to take out your whole team and once that happened they have an easy route to push and take the advantage.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
I think that's a fine risk. Even at worst after a total team wipe, the two teams just meet again at neutral.

The only ground you "lost" is the enemies territory so it amounts to a reset.

It's important to keep grouped and ready to stop pushes, but it's also important to take advantage of openings.

Njok

Bouncer
I think that's a fine risk. Even at worst after a total team wipe, the two teams just meet again at neutral.
Well yes, but with one huge difference which is that they now had the time to take over the neutral point and ink it in their colour. Which gives them a huge advantage.

But i obviously don't think i have the perfect strategy or anything. It's just the way i see it :) If that works for you than that's awesome of course.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
To rank up. :P

In all seriousness, it's to ride the tower. Nice and simple as an objective and helps people notice that Splatoon has a competitive fire to it. It's a lot harder to see that fire when playing in a mode that doesn't grade you.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Set up a barrier on the tower anyway you can and push forward.

Kraken, Bubble, Killer Wail, Beakon Shield, and Ink Wall ricochet setups.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
Yep, beat your head by using the tools that are effective in tower control. You don't have to worry about a LOT of what can potentially happen in Splatoon. Tower control focuses the efforts of random teams, as does Splatzones. The goals are simplistic for this purpose. That's why the modes are enjoyable for people from certain backgrounds, or people who just need to be ranked in whatever game they play.

That's the joy of this game mode. People may make it into something more, but don't let that make you forget what Tower Control is at its core - a way of focusing the efforts of random people and limiting the metagame's variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom