• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What kind of netcode does Splatoon use?

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
This might sound unimportant or irrelevant, but it actually could dictate the meta for aiming if we can understand what kind of netcode Nintendo uses for this game. For example, Team Fortress 2 is known for having client-side aiming, which means a player shoots what they see and that translates to damage on the victim's side later. Other game compensate for lag by waiting for the server to respond before updating the clients. This syncs the individual clients more accurately, but at the cost of a perceived delay in certain circumstances.

Has anyone figured out the mechanics behind the netcode?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Good question. I don't know much about online, but I read in a different forum that the netcode take guesses/fill in the gaps in advance, which seems to be why double splats happen. Or even having "ink suddenly appearing before you" (haven't happened to me yet). It'd be great if someone more knowledgeable on the subject could share their thoughts.

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
Good question. I don't know much about online, but I read in a different forum that the netcode take guesses/fill in the gaps in advance, which seems to be why double splats happen. Or even having "ink suddenly appearing before you" (haven't happened to me yet). It'd be great if someone more knowledgeable on the subject could share their thoughts.
Well, since everyone's ink is a projectile, it would make sense for double splats to happen since both lethal projectiles are able to hit their targets simultaneously.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Given how many times I've shot the ground or walls but been unable to swim because it didn't update, I can tell you ink is not predicted client-side.

On the other hand I think killing may be client-side, given how many times I've been double-splatted by Rollers, sometimes even seconds after I killed them. Considering that they aren't projectiles, that shouldn't even be possible if it's not client-side, let alone so damn frequent.

Also, one time I saw an opposing Seeker blow up on the wall but then its trail curved back and continued past it, as if the Seeker had just turned invisible. Had me confused a minute before I realized where that trail must've come from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom