What maps would you like to see get remodelled?

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
So guys what maps would you like to see get a makeover like Urchin Underpass did? I only have one map that I think needs one desperately. Port friggin Mackerel. The narrow corridors and having not much turf to ink really bothers me. Plus if the enemy gets control of the big area outside your spawn you are screwed. I'd love it if either some of the cargo boxes were removed, make them inkable, make more places for high ground or just make the entire stage bigger in general.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd say Saltspray Rig so the top area can be assaulted a bit easier (currently that thing is a fortress with a large no man's land as its only entrance), and Port Mackerel so it's easier to defend against a team that captures the middle of the map (the middle itself is fine, though)

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I'd say Saltspray Rig so the top area can be assaulted a bit easier (currently that thing is a fortress with a large no man's land as its only entrance), and Port Mackerel so it's easier to defend against a team that captures the middle of the map (the middle itself is fine, though)
Yeah. Saltspray can be a pain sometimes.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
I absolutely Agree. I feel some pipes need to be added to be able to get behind that top platform. At the moment it's too much of a pivotal point without much counterplay.

XenoPixel

Senior Squid
NNID
XenoPixel
I just want Urchin Underpass to be how it used to be. Other than that I'm completely fine with the other maps. However I do agree that Saltspray Rig could use some remodeling.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
For certain modes, yes, I'd like to see some maps remodeled. Port Mackerel on SZ needs to be a little easier to defend the zone if the enemy teams captures yours. Chargers and .96 Gal with Splash Wall can completely shut down an advance because of the narrow passages, making defense of the zone near impossible. I would propose that the ledge above the zone ought to be widened to match the zone's length.

Another thing I would change is Saltspray Rig on RM. There are too many barricades on the paths below the Rainmaker. I realize that it would make it abit easier to take it to the enemy base, but I'm not saying that all the barricades need to be removed, just some. Besides impeding your path, they aren't great for defense either if you're holding the Rainmaker since the enemy could just shoot from above or from the side. That many barricades is an unnecessary hindrance.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Urchin Underpass... again. Too crowded. Blackbelly needs to get rid of the different elevation in the middle around the tower, really annoying.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I always felt that Moray Towers lends itself too well to Chargers, especially E-Liters. If I could ask for some changes there, I'd like something to reduce their effectiveness like an obstructive overhang to force them to aim down toward the center. That way, they can't stop the other team cold at the last drop point before the center.

Galaxeon

Inkling
Make the changes in Zone and Rainmaker Arowana applied for the two other modes so that the map is playable again.

That's really it. I'm fine with all other maps. Well, of course I don't like all of them (Triggerfish and Docks in particular have their problems...) but you'd need a complete restructuration of the level design of the maps to make them fun to play for my tastes without changing them too much. Which would be unsatisfying for those who like them.
As for saltspray rig... you have plenty of openings to take the upper section of the map, more than many other centres of other maps. The whole level design of the map revolves around the fact that you have to consider that what is the centre for other maps is actually the top for Saltspray. It's the key zone. And I don't want 10 other Kelp Domes-like maps, where you can access the key zone from everywhere, no thanks. Saltspray is perfect the way it is to me.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I always felt that Moray Towers lends itself too well to Chargers, especially E-Liters. If I could ask for some changes there, I'd like something to reduce their effectiveness like an obstructive overhang to force them to aim down toward the center. That way, they can't stop the other team cold at the last drop point before the center.
Heck yes. There should be some sort of obstacle in the centre. I'm quite tired of all them snipers flnging their lasers sights everwhere and getting splatted lol

I just want Urchin Underpass to be how it used to be. Other than that I'm completely fine with the other maps. However I do agree that Saltspray Rig could use some remodeling.
Even though I like the newer version better, I agree with you. They should have kept it in the rotation alongside it's newer counterpart. They could call it Urchin Underpass retro or 1.0 or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I'm happy with Moray the way it is - chargers can still be countered by well used specials (most notably Zooka).

Port Mackerel is only one that I'd think about remodelling, simply because it's kinda dull, with all the action being more or less on one level, and symmetry on both the x and y axis.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I'm happy with Moray the way it is - chargers can still be countered by well used specials (most notably Zooka).
That's kinda part of the problem. You can't attack the properly without specials. I'm fine with the current form of Towers, though. It's actually one of few maps which are fun playing in rainmaker imo.

I think everyone will agree with Port. This map was the worst map of the game when it came out and still holds true for that spot. If only some of the larger containers in the center were climbable, the map would be so much better already.

Another map I'd like to see changed is Skatepark. Oh, this map, I can't express how annoyed I get sometimes here. The center is just awful to navigate and the overall map is way too small in my opinion. If it's a technical problem to increase the size of the map, just remove some of the smaller slopes to keep the number of surfaces/polygons similar.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
Personally, I'd like to see a remodel of Arowana Mall, even if slightly. I'd be fine with the changes made in Rainmaker being universal, I feel like that's how it should have been in the first place.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Make Aroma Mall-Splat zone version universal to all modes.

For Port Mack, wider corridors, make crates climbable where you can swim to the top from their sides. However make the top of the crates uninkable. Also do something to prevent spawn camping.

Salt spray-Rainmaker; Block the top area after the r a I makers beginning position.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I would make Port Mackerel wider, and add another corridor or to to make it span.

I think it would be cool if a small, unthinkable platform slowly moved between each side in Bluefin, plus if Walleye warehouse had some dynamic feature (Moving boxes? Conveyor belts? Moving grate platform?)

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
After thinking about it a little, there are some stages I'd like to see change a bit:

Arowana Mall: Maybe make the Splat Zones version the standard one.

Blackbelly Skatepark: Just for Rainmaker. Do something to prevent extremely fast wins, seriously I've seen games end near the 30-second mark, that shouldn't happen. Otherwise, I'm alright with this map.

Saltspray Rig: Make a way to reach the top area from each team's spawn-platform, maybe just extend the long part with a couple of walled protrusions onto that part of the stage. Might have to change the crane's path a bit to prevent hopping up into that part, but that can probably be done. Also after doing this, put the Rainmaker there, it'd make extremely quick victories less common and not as quick.

Urchin Underpa- oh right, they did that already.

Walleye Warehouse: Not because I have a problem with it, I just remember how it looked in the initial trailer. Specifically, the moving boxes in the center. Maybe put those in on one of the modes? Not necessary, I think Walleye is alright as is, I'd just like to see it somewhere.

Port Mackerel: I really dislike this map, it's just too many tight spaces for me. Maybe if they just had two rows of boxes in the center and one row in the corridors in front of each spawn point, or some way to climb up onto the boxes outside of Turf War. Or maybe just blow up the middle. I saw a pic with that idea, and I kinda like it (might just be me being salty tho).

Kelp Dome: I like this one as it is.

Bluefin Depot: Just for Splat Zones. Use the Rainmaker version of the map (maybe remove the bridge connecting the platforms and keep the ramps) and have both center rectangle platforms have a Zone. Not strictly necessary, but I feel like it would be better than the current one.

Moray Towers: Maybe make the Splat Zones version the standard one, I prefer that one most.

Camp Triggerfish: I'm okay with this one as is.

Flounder Heights: Too soon to tell on this one.

Last edited:

SuperSmuckers

Inkling
NNID
agm_22369
I'd like to see Blackbelly changed a bit. More often than not in my experience, I see that map get one sided like a minute in.

JetSquidRadio

Inkling
Blackbelly needs some modifying, it's jank yo.

But also Arrowana Mall feels underwhelming as well as stupid in Splat Zone, would like some alterations there.

SP3CT3R

Full Squid
I think that they should add side pathways to Moray Towers and Port Mackerel. Those two maps are kinda boring because I always end up in this giganto stalemate in the middle until one team whips out a Bubbler and pushes the other back.

Blobface

Inkster Jr.
NNID
everyone1
I hate Port Mackerel in Splat Zones. One of my favorite things about this game is the freedom of movement you have with proper setup, but SZ Port Mackerel literally does not have a single climbable surface, which makes games on it a lot less fun than other maps. It just needs some sprucing up really, maybe add some more forklifts somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom