What Patch/Update do you want to see to improve competitive Splatoon?

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
- mode with no specials
This has probably huge potential. It's a little like with items in Smash. I'm sure if Nintendo added a special ON/OFF option to private lobbies, OFF would quickly become the mode-to-play in competitive matches.
Subs on the other hand are needed to round up your weapon imo.

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
Customizeable as in you have a good number to choose from or you can make your own up?
Well, both. For random queue, there should be presets you can pick from. Friend battle it'd be nice to write your own, "cmon", and "booya" for friend battles are kinda pointless but they're good for random queue.

Shalnark

Full Squid
I want splash walls to last half the time and cost half the amount of ink than they currently do. This would make splash wall weapons less dominant without nerfing them too much.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I want splash walls to last half the time and cost half the amount of ink than they currently do. This would make splash wall weapons less dominant without nerfing them too much.
50% less ink would be too much considering ink saver sub.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
50% less ink would be too much considering ink saver sub.
Ink Saver Sub is not as efficient as Ink Recovery Up. However, 50% is a bit much. Maybe 25% or 15% would be better, but I'm kinda indifferent to Splash Walls anyways.

What I wanna see is the D-Pad command changed from "Come-on" to "To me" like in the EU versions. It makes much more sense to have it like that, especially in competitive. If someone's microphone goes out / malfunctions, the D-Pad commands can help with that.

I think it may be better if they added custom phrases for the left and the right rather than changing the 2 that have already been established
I'd like that, but I think Come-on has to be changed to the EU phrase instead. Besides that, I'd like custom phrases for left and right, however, it becomes a problem when you're playing with people that use different languages, but I know this issue doesn't apply to competitive Splatoon.

As for what else I wanna see:
. A ranking system / win-lose ratio that's among friends, regional, and worldwide
. Spectator mode or replay mode
. A pause menu to quit out of private lobbies (like if a disconnect happens and players want to start over faster)
. Being able to sort your gear by ability, rarity, slots, etc
. Labeling favorite weapons and gear
. LAN support

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Ink Saver Sub is not as efficient as Ink Recovery Up. However, 50% is a bit much. Maybe 25% or 15% would be better, but I'm kinda indifferent to Splash Walls anyways.
You shoot after you throw out a wall, not hide and recover ink.

Toadstoolnews

Inkling
NNID
Toadstoolnews
I'd like that, but I think Come-on has to be changed to the EU phrase instead. Besides that, I'd like custom phrases for left and right, however, it becomes a problem when you're playing with people that use different languages, but I know this issue doesn't apply to competitive Splatoon.
Personally when I think of custom phrases I think more of what Nintendo would call custom, which is a list of predetermined phrases. But honestly squads should already be on a voice chat so this would only help ranked battle.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Personally when I think of custom phrases I think more of what Nintendo would call custom, which is a list of predetermined phrases. But honestly squads should already be on a voice chat so this would only help ranked battle.
Oh, I get it now. Yeah, I can see what you mean by "Nintendo" custom phrases; predetermined ones. If that's the case, then I feel like they'll just add variants of the existing phrases, like having Boo-yah! / Good Job! / Nice Work!, or Come-on! / To me! / Over here!. I feel like they'd do that because they've done it before in other games, which actually worries me that we won't get new phrases for left and right on the D-Pad.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Powerups which you can pickup such as ones that temporarily increase accuracy, range, damage, or even ones that grant you specials which you normally wouldn't be able to have with a particular weapon.

Toadstoolnews

Inkling
NNID
Toadstoolnews
Oh, I get it now. Yeah, I can see what you mean by "Nintendo" custom phrases; predetermined ones. If that's the case, then I feel like they'll just add variants of the existing phrases, like having Boo-yah! / Good Job! / Nice Work!, or Come-on! / To me! / Over here!. I feel like they'd do that because they've done it before in other games, which actually worries me that we won't get new phrases for left and right on the D-Pad.
Well I think keeping the up and down as Boo-yah and come on equivalents and then adding the left and right as

Even just add two presets, like "Careful" and something else.
or Rush in, play offense, play defense. Things like that for left and right

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Nerf the Dynamo Roller out of the game

But really, I'd like more options on the D-Pad, not fully customizatble ones though since you have to remember these need to work with people all around the world, but more specific commands is a great step in the right direction.

I can't really ask for more past a spectator mode, let's hope that happens in the next big update,

mario123007

Pro Squid
Nerf the Dynamo Roller out of the game

But really, I'd like more options on the D-Pad, not fully customizatble ones though since you have to remember these need to work with people all around the world, but more specific commands is a great step in the right direction.

I can't really ask for more past a spectator mode, let's hope that happens in the next big update,
You mean make the Dynamo Roller slower or less range?

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
  • Spectator Mode
  • Replays
  • Allow WiiU's to be set up as mini dedicated servers (a'la Unreal Tournament 3 on consoles)
  • *Offline LAN support where gear abilities can be set manually
More D-pad communication options, like in Shadowrun, would be awesome but not necessary.

*Let's be very clear that this game DOES have Online LAN support a'la Blizzard games. If you set up a Splatoon LAN and play a private match, the packets never leave the network and the connection is actually LAN. This means that players have to bring an WiiU and Gamepad to tournaments, which isn't actually that bad considering that together they weigh less than an arcade stick, so don't complain about it to any Street Fighter players. TO's would just need to have power/HDMI cables ready at each station (it may be hard to buy many power cables though).

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'd change a few things, hopefully it won't be too drastic:

Matchmaking and stuff:
-Make it impossible for players to meet other players when the level gap reaches a certain threshold, ex. lvl 30 players have no business playing against lvl 1 players.
-As you people said, enable LAN and spectator modes
-Replacement bots if someone DC's. I'd imagine this would be very hard to implement since the Octoling AI isn't brilliant by any means, but it at least needs to give some benefit to the disadvantaged team. Esp. now that Splatfest had players who DC at the start of the match to skew the win rate to their favor.
-Be able to change gear while waiting inbetween matches. Additionally, add a function that allows you to save gear/weapon combinations and while waiting for the next round you'll be able to quickly switch between sets without having to quit back to menu.

Gear, Abilities and stuff:
-Ink Resist should be given partially by default, to make other shoe abilities more viable
-Make the Bomb Sniffer icons less intrusive/transparent
-Stealth Jump shouldn't debuff your jump speed
-Give Special Charge Up diminishing returns
-Increase effectiveness of Ink Saver Sub slightly, recovery-up overshadows it a tad
-Make Last-Ditch last through overtime, and MAYBE have it pre-emptively activate when a Ranked match is close to becoming a knockout
-Special Duration up should affect Killer Wail
-Bomb Range Up should also affect Sprinklers

Subs:
-Nerf Splash Wall by making it less tank-heavy
-Buff Seekers by making them faster with less ink cost. Right now they're too easy to dodge and provide no area of denial against skilled players.
-Buff Ink Mines by making it act like sprinklers, the mine stays put untill someone walks over it/the owner gets splatted/owner lays a new one.

Special:
-I'd honestly revamp Echolocator entirely but that'd be hard because Cold-Blooded is here to stay. The Echo/CB interaction feels like a mess to me and makes it allmost mandatory to get CB in ranked because it stops one special from being too good.
-Make Kraken last slightly longer.

Misc:
-Left D-Pad makes your Inkling dance in place(Like the Inklings at the Splatfest trucks)
-Right D-Pad makes your Inkling cry and fall over in defeat

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Spectator mode is a must. And a better network, as well as regional matchmaking would be nice to help minimize lag.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Id love to have the stick on the tower adjusted. It blocks a rollers flick, from so many different angles and directions. It can even block a full flick, from directly above it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom