What weapons do you feel could use some buffs?

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
This is related to my other thread on this board but this time with more focus on the actual weapons that could use changes to encourage more people to pick them up competitively and help the meta become a little more diverse at the top hopefully. For me it's Brellas. They've been in a bad spot since the last game because Nintendo decided to completely gut them. All of them need to have at least some of those nerfs reverted in order to get out of trash tier and at least playable again, never mind competitive. My next one may surprise people, but I actually feel the Splattershot Pro series needs some sort of buffs. I would start with making it slightly more ink efficient similar to the buff the Octobrush got. My reasoning is I played the last game when MPU was all over the place especially on the Kensa Pro and believe me, more damage is not what this thing needs. ProChara even said something to the effect of how the Pro basically fails at what its intended role is supposed to be, and I'm inclined to agree with him. What are your opinions?

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
When it comes to buffs, the first thing that comes to mind isn't even mains, but rather subs and specials. Specifically Ink Vac, Super Chump, Toxic Mist, and Angle Shooter.

Ink Vac - I'd want to see them give it the ability to manually store its charge by pressing R instead of either having to wait 6 secs. or suck in enough ink. Similar to how Ultra Stamp can be thrown with R to prematurely end the special. Would give you some much needed control over Vac and be risker for opponents to challenge.

Super Chump - I think it just needs more damage and slightly larger explosions. I'm not saying they need to become suction bombs, but make 'em so people can't ignore chumps so easily. Something like 35.0(far), 50.0(close), and 70.0(direct)

Toxic Mist - Mist should be able to deal damage of some sort. Perhaps have it so when in the mist you'll accrue up to 50.0 damage over time, just like being in enemy ink. If you throw mist directly on to someone it deals 25.0(far), and 35.0(close) damage respectively, just like a burst bomb. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be buffing it anytime soon as this sub has remained as is for a long time.

Angle Shooter - 45.0 Damage is all I ask for, and maybe a better Sub Power curve at low amounts.

I don't have many buffs when considering main weapons. Other than reverting Brella nerfs and getting rid of the airborne charge speed penalty on Stringers. If anything comes to mind though, I'll drop 'em here.

Tac

Inkster Jr.
For main weapons, I definitely think the Hydra Splatling should have some sort of charge hold. Obviously if Hydra could always make use of a full charge it would be a little broken, but I think allowing it to store 25-50% of its charge from a full charge would feel a lot better for the weapon. I've only tried it out a little bit, but charging it up for 2 seconds only for someone to throw a suction bomb at me, forcing me to swim away and spend another 2 seconds charging was not a great experience.

Besides that, I 100% want Glooga Dualies to be buffed. I thought that using the immobility after a dodge roll to make a sort of "turret" weapon would be a creative and fun idea, but it makes the weapon stiff without giving it many benefits. Locking yourself into one position for so long with the dodge roll should give you more than just a .52 Gal with slightly better accuracy, especially when the weapon is so weak outside of the dodge roll too. Its shot spread is pitiful too, even after dodge rolling. There's a lot you could change to make it better but I'm mostly asking for wayyyy better shot accuracy, as well as maybe better painting while in the turret mode. If it was just able to consistently hit things from farther away it would be so much more playable in my opinion. I like the concept of Gloogas a lot and just want its committal dodge rolls to give you something better than a stationary .52 gal in return.

When it comes to buffs, the first thing that comes to mind isn't even mains, but rather subs and specials.
I feel this a lot, when I was skimming through the list of weapons to find candidates for this post my thoughts were mostly "give it a better kit" or "buff its sub and special." There are just so many weapons let down by a poorly balanced sub or special that I think a buff to one of those would be much more appreciated.

Ink Vac - I'd want to see them give it the ability to manually store its charge by pressing R instead of either having to wait 6 secs. or suck in enough ink. Similar to how Ultra Stamp can be thrown with R to prematurely end the special. Would give you some much needed control over Vac and be risker for opponents to challenge.
Yes absolutely! It's really weird that it doesn't work like this currently. I don't even think activating Ink Vac to use it only for its shot would be a great play (because the shot itself isn't great when uncharged) but hey, at least then it wouldn't always force a Squelcher, Splat Charger, Rapid Pro, or .96 gal to forfeit their backline position in order to get use out of it. Why did they give it to so many long range weapons anyways...

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
For main weapons, I definitely think the Hydra Splatling should have some sort of charge hold. Obviously if Hydra could always make use of a full charge it would be a little broken, but I think allowing it to store 25-50% of its charge from a full charge would feel a lot better for the weapon. I've only tried it out a little bit, but charging it up for 2 seconds only for someone to throw a suction bomb at me, forcing me to swim away and spend another 2 seconds charging was not a great experience.
I think that can generally be alleviated by using more partial charges. Sure it feels good to lay down a full charge, especially as a hydra, but most are wise enough to lob any bomb towards you to keep this from happening and push you back. The faster, less committal partials help in that regard.

Besides that, I 100% want Glooga Dualies to be buffed. I thought that using the immobility after a dodge roll to make a sort of "turret" weapon would be a creative and fun idea, but it makes the weapon stiff without giving it many benefits. Locking yourself into one position for so long with the dodge roll should give you more than just a .52 Gal with slightly better accuracy, especially when the weapon is so weak outside of the dodge roll too. Its shot spread is pitiful too, even after dodge rolling. There's a lot you could change to make it better but I'm mostly asking for wayyyy better shot accuracy, as well as maybe better painting while in the turret mode. If it was just able to consistently hit things from farther away it would be so much more playable in my opinion. I like the concept of Gloogas a lot and just want its committal dodge rolls to give you something better than a stationary .52 gal in return.
I do agree that Gloogas could use some attention. However its post-roll state is fine as is; 100% accuracy, high velocity, and a fast 2-shot. Unrolled is pretty dreadful with its horrible inaccuracy and Splattershot damage with 52. Gal firerate. If I had a crack at buffing it I'd give it better painting for its unrolled state. Sort of like Squeezer where it can either splat well or paint well, but not at the same time. Considering the weapon is a "dualiefied" Gal I believe it having this is still on brand as Gals are pretty decent painters in their own right. I don't have much experience with this weapon though, so maybe someone with more insight could add a few words.

Why did they give it to so many long range weapons anyways...
I'd guess stalling for when you're on the defensive.

Cephalobro

I think the Flingza Roller could use a buff to its vertical swing speed, but only a tiny bit. I'm currently playing with it and while its kit is great, the main weapon itself is a little too slow for it to be able to play defensively.

Tac

Inkster Jr.
I think that can generally be alleviated by using more partial charges. Sure it feels good to lay down a full charge, especially as a hydra, but most are wise enough to lob any bomb towards you to keep this from happening and push you back. The faster, less committal partials help in that regard.
Hmmm fair enough, it's not a weapon I play often but yeah it's probably more of an issue on my part of not learning the weapon properly + not hiding behind cover well enough to fully get out the charge, I'll keep this in mind when I play it again.

I do agree that Gloogas could use some attention. However its post-roll state is fine as is; 100% accuracy, high velocity, and a fast 2-shot. Unrolled is pretty dreadful with its horrible inaccuracy and Splattershot damage with 52. Gal firerate. If I had a crack at buffing it I'd give it better painting for its unrolled state. Sort of like Squeezer where it can either splat well or paint well, but not at the same time. Considering the weapon is a "dualiefied" Gal I believe it having this is still on brand as Gals are pretty decent painters in their own right. I don't have much experience with this weapon though, so maybe someone with more insight could add a few words.
I will say that after going back and testing it out some more I did underrate the post-roll state a little bit. It does paint much better than I thought it did, plus has some pretty nice range, but I will say that it definitely isn't 100% accurate which is what inspired me to make the post in the first place. (gif using footage stolen from Squid School's Weapon Select series)
gloogas small.gif

The first few shots seem to hit the reticle like most shooters and dualies, but if you are using the turret mode for any prolonged period of time the bullets will stray a little bit. I'll exaggerate that they deviate by only a little bit, although I swear that it causes me to miss half of my shots against moving targets. I would definitely like it to be buffed to be 100% accurate, but like you I probably don't have enough experience with the weapon to know whether that would be a good buff. I like your ideas for buffing the standard dualies mode though, especially when that's where more of the weapon's issues lie.

I'd guess stalling for when you're on the defensive.
It's hard for me to see that being their intention considering that it prevents you from fighting back, and you'd probably trade at best after ink vac stops sucking. I guess maybe if your teammates could get to you in time it would give you enough protection to let them save you? That would be an extremely specific use case for a special though, especially when kraken would also protect you, and threaten whoever is attacking you, and let you escape without help from your teammates. All the more reason to buff ink vac.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
but I will say that it definitely isn't 100% accurate which is what inspired me to make the post in the first place.
My mistake, as I was going off what Inkipedia stated in Glooga's stats. I recently checked in-game and yes it's not 100% accurate. Sorry about that.

It's hard for me to see that being their intention considering that it prevents you from fighting back, and you'd probably trade at best after ink vac stops sucking. I guess maybe if your teammates could get to you in time it would give you enough protection to let them save you? That would be an extremely specific use case for a special though, especially when kraken would also protect you, and threaten whoever is attacking you, and let you escape without help from your teammates. All the more reason to buff ink vac.
I've pondered a little bit more about this and maybe what you want to do with Ink Vac is to protect your teammates while they're pushing. While you lose the ability to threaten opponents, your teammates can still push and splat safely as you're vacuuming them preventing damage. So the more defensive weapons are going to be more likely to be in positions to utilize this aspect of the special. Considering how it relies on your teammates and specific ideal circumstances though, I'll admit that bringing a more self-reliant special is often more practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac

Phantom447

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2754-7686-9585
I think the Flingza Roller could use a buff to its vertical swing speed, but only a tiny bit. I'm currently playing with it and while its kit is great, the main weapon itself is a little too slow for it to be able to play defensively.
Yea, I use flingza in rainmaker and the time the vertical swing takes has gotten me splatted multiple times

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom