What weapons do you find overcentralizing?

NNID
DJXyz640
Nintendo's been hard at work balancing this game, with updates coming monthly, but there's a clear issue among the more casual players- the Aerospray RG. In the majority of regular battles I join, there is 2 or more Aerospray RG users, generally on the same team. The Aerospray itself doesn't cause me too much trouble (I use the Classic Squiffer and they're pretty easy to space out), but when teams are composed almost entirely of RGs it's kind of annoying to have the spawn bombarded with Inkstrikes the entire match, and to be forced to shy away from opposing ink in fear of an ink mine or sneak attack.
I find that it is nearly game-breaking when you're a more casual player placed against multiples of the RG. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I've been on Smashboards for a while, but this is my first Squidboards post so please inform me if this was posted in the wrong place.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I've had issues with it too (see one of my earliest threads that actually got locked), but what concerns me more is how people ARE using it so casually, rather than taking it to the next skill level. I have seen some very tactical ASRG players in both Regular and Ranked battles (and it's a very hard weapon to master past the casual mark), but they're so overwhelmed by the amount of bad ASRG players who just use this weapon because they can't aim with an accurate Shooter (and one really should have good aim to use this weapon right in the first place!).

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think it's mostly a problem with the Specials in general. Dealing with 1 or 2 is fine, but when you have to deal with 3-4 of the same specials it becomes hard to counter, usually to the point of being annoying and frustrating to play against. Constant Inkstrike barrages make map control non-existant, back-to-back-to-back Bubblers make offensive play impossible (and defensive play a nightmare), Inkzooka firing squads erradicate teams with little to no effort or risk, etc., and I'm lucky enough to not have seen Kraken schools of more than 2 :confused:

This was one of my initial worries when I heard about the whole "Special Weapon" mechanic, as Killstreaks were what made me quit Call of Duty for good after joining 4 different matches and getting spawnkilled by them instantly.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
and I'm lucky enough to not have seen Kraken schools of more than 2 :confused:
I've seen whole squads of Krakens. It's not pretty...

The one I REALLY fear though is a whole team of Splattershots/Hero Shots all running Burst Bomb Rush and maybe even some Special Charge Up to boot...RUN RUN RUN AWAY!!!

NNID
DJXyz640
I'm gonna rename this thread to fit overcentralizing weapons in general. I know that everything is at the least viable, BUT there's a trend of people picking the same weapons over and over again, and the same weapon in bulk can be a serious problem in regular matchmaking.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
I find most RG users to be kind of noobish. I can normally pick them off with my splat charger. The frequent inkstrikes can get annoying though.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
No, the vanilla Splattershot is not very common, even in Turf Wars.
Although when I do see one I'm extra cautious. Those vanilla splattershot-ers tend to know what they are doing.

On Topic:
I think the strong mid-range shooters are typically over-represented. The .52 gal (ranked) and deco (turf war). The tentatek (everywhere). The NZaps (everywhere, but typically turf war). I usually have at least two of these weapons in every lobby, often more.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
No, the vanilla Splattershot is not very common, even in Turf Wars.
Yes but the TSS is its variant. That is what I mean. For the thousandth time I must remind people that the Tentatek Splattershot is NOT the original weapon, no matter how E.Z. baek the strats are (although, granted, I have been seeing Splattershots popping up in Turf Wars as of late, probably because Burst Bomb Rush is one of te game's most efficient pure turfing tools).

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Gals w/ Walls are really popular, along with tentatek. Seen a lot of Neo-Splash online too, which is more or less Tentatek with a different flavor. Generally weapons with Walls/Bursts/Splats as subs and Kraken/Inkzooka/Echo as specials will get popular as long as the weapon itself is serviceable, it seems.

Yes but the TSS is its variant. That is what I mean. For the thousandth time I must remind people that the Tentatek Splattershot is NOT the original weapon, no matter how E.Z. baek the strats are (although, granted, I have been seeing Splattershots popping up in Turf Wars as of late, probably because Burst Bomb Rush is one of te game's most efficient pure turfing tools).
I think he meant not the regular Splattershot but the weapons with a similar loadout and stats (Neo Splash/vanilla Mini Splatling).

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Gals w/ Walls are really popular, along with tentatek. Seen a lot of Neo-Splash online too, which is more or less Tentatek with a different flavor. Generally weapons with Walls/Bursts/Splats as subs and Kraken/Inkzooka/Echo as specials will get popular as long as the weapon itself is serviceable, it seems.

I think he meant not the regular Splattershot but the weapons with a similar loadout and stats (Neo Splash/vanilla Mini Splatling).
And now Octobrush Nouveau I'm guessing.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I was not stating the Tentatek Splattershot was the original. I was stating that the Tentatek and its variants are overcentralized.

The statement probably requires some more clarification. When I state variants, I mean the Octoshot Replica. Originally I thought the Hero Shot Replica was also another jazzed up version of the Tentatek Splattershot, which is why I mentioned variants instead of variant.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I was not stating the Tentatek Splattershot was the original. I was stating that the Tentatek and its variants are overcentralized.

The statement probably requires some more clarification. When I state variants, I mean the Octoshot Replica. Originally I thought the Hero Shot Replica was also another jazzed up version of the Tentatek Splattershot, which is why I mentioned variants instead of variant.
Ooooohhhhh. Now I see. But why would you think that? o_O

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
As a Dynamo user, the weapon is pretty ridiculous. The one-fling kill power is incredible (especially with Damage Up), and is effective at short and mid range. Not only that, but it can quickly cover turf. The standard variant even has Sprinklers to spam Echolocator to track and hunt the other team.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
.96 Gal Deco, .52 Gal, Tentatek, and Luna Blaster. . .

I have expressed this in the past, so I will refrain from doing so now, I absolutely despise these weapons. They're easily the easiest weapons to pick up and be successful with. And with the .96 and .52 Gals they are the definition of Spray and Pray.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
.96 Gal Deco, .52 Gal, Tentatek, and Luna Blaster. . .

I have expressed this in the past, so I will refrain from doing so now, I absolutely despise these weapons. They're easily the easiest weapons to pick up and be successful with. And with the .96 and .52 Gals they are the definition of Spray and Pray.
I disagree. The fire rate is so poor for the gals that "spray and pray" isn't very effective. Maybe a newbie can pick it up and be successful because RNG will sometimes be on your side, but it takes skill and accuracy to be successful with these weapons.

Are they "overcentralized"? Probably, because they are easy to pick up. But that doesn't mean they don't take skill to be successful.

Meh, I don't know. I guess I just don't understand "despising" weapons.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't take "skill" or effort to be successful with them. But the fact you can accidentally get kills is what really rustles my jimmies. I can't tell you how many times RNG has 100% decided a stand off. The fact it only takes 2 shots is what annoys me, add on the exceptional range the .96 Gal has, Walls, and Kraken and you have a weapon with exactly 0 downsides. People will argue its mobility is a downside, but it doesn't even hold a candle to all of its positive traits.

I'm not saying people that use .96 Gal are skill-less monsters, but the fact that it is a very RNG based weapon is stupid to me. Aim should be a detrimental part of a shooter. When you remove the necessity for it, and give it a 2 shot kill, I, and I'm sure many others, will have strong feelings towards it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom