• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What weapons do you find overcentralizing?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I agree that the .96 deco is arguably the most powerful gun in the game. It has almost no downsides and lots of upsides. One could argue that the RNG is a downside though. You get a much more accurate gun with splattershot pro, and sometimes (with the .96) it is frustrating to not hit what you are aiming at. Fortunately, I've only encountered a handful of good .96 deco users. Most I run into treat it like a .52 and try to rush people down.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
The fact it only takes 2 shots is what annoys me, add on the exceptional range the .96 Gal has, Walls, and Kraken and you have a weapon with exactly 0 downsides. People will argue its mo
It's pretty clear you've never used .96 Deco yourself (probably due to your personal bias thinking you need to use weapons that aren't "luck based").
In any case its biggest weakness is CQC. If you can't keep someone at range with the splash wall (which puts you at very low to no ink for three seconds) then you are as good as dead with your slow fire rate and inaccuracy. Kraken only slightly mitigates this risk as you NEED to have it charged first to use it.
Even if you can keep an opponent at proper range you still have to pray to the Gods of RNG that your shots hit where you're aiming. (2 shot kill sounds great in theory but in practice you'll not often get the two shots in a row and with the slow fire rate the TTK goes up very fast.)
So yes, .96 Deco has plenty of weaknesses as annoying as you may personally find it.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I've most certainly used it before, most times in solo queue because people don't know how to push in solo. Not sure what that has to do with anything though. Yea, it has a small amount of trouble in CQC, but it's not enough to make it even remotely a downside. Shoot at your target and in most cases you'll be hitting it, it's not until you get further out that your shots start going every-which-way. Yea, it may end in a trade off, but It is still capable of coming out on top in CQC. And then there's the fact it has Kraken, which tells CQC to shove off. It has answers for CQC, yea, it's special reliant but it has them.

The Hydra has trouble with CQC, the RBPD has trouble with CQC, the .96 Gal just needs its special charged and quick thinking and it's solid.

Hold off on the assumptions please.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
It's pretty clear you've never used .96 Deco yourself (probably due to your personal bias thinking you need to use weapons that aren't "luck based").
Not a great lead-in.

It's pretty clear you haven't used online forums before. See what I did there. ;)

I'm used to watching DUDE play the .96 deco, so every time I pick it up I disappoint myself.

Filo ITA

Full Squid
NNID
FiloSNK
I strongly disagree with the fact that the 96 deco is poor at close range: you clearly never stepped in an S+ lobby. The 96 decos literally destroy you at mid and close range, they may miss some shots but it really doesn't matter since with only two hits you're already a dead squid.

Filo ITA

Full Squid
NNID
FiloSNK
I can't agree with people saying the 96 deco is weak at close range, it may have a somewhat slow fire rate but it still kills in, what, 0,2/0,3 seconds?

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
U people CLEARLY have never seen the overcentralization of the Inkbrush Nouveau.

First off is how it looks. The sticker is barely visible, making opponents wonder if you're using the vanilla or Nouveau variant. This already puts you at a massive lead when you first play with someone since they won't know if you'll throw a Sprinkler at them or set down a mine in front of their face and watch them foolishly step on it.

Next is the damage. This weapon kills in 4 hits. This requires less hits to kill than Burst Bombs if you have horrible aim. Those 4 hits also come at such a speed that the opponent is left dazzled at how you could swing a giant paintbrush so fast with those flimsy noodle arms. And the rolling damage, don't get me STARTED on that. It deals 20 damage. 20! An attack that looks as pathetic as accidentally knocking into someone while running deals damage in the double digits. Absurd. Overpowered.

AND THE BUBBLER. This allows you to safely show an opponent your amazing button mashing skills that they may consider not even killing you.

This weapon excels at psychologically torturing your opponents between the Bubbler and almost invisible sticker. This is very obviously an overcentralizing weapon, and until Nintendo nerfs it or possibly removes it from the game, I recommend that everyone use this weapon despite how overused it is. It's the only way to win.
Everyone should use this weapon so I can win more games.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
U people CLEARLY have never seen the overcentralization of the Inkbrush Nouveau.

First off is how it looks. The sticker is barely visible, making opponents wonder if you're using the vanilla or Nouveau variant. This already puts you at a massive lead when you first play with someone since they won't know if you'll throw a Sprinkler at them or set down a mine in front of their face and watch them foolishly step on it.

Next is the damage. This weapon kills in 4 hits. This requires less hits to kill than Burst Bombs if you have horrible aim. Those 4 hits also come at such a speed that the opponent is left dazzled at how you could swing a giant paintbrush so fast with those flimsy noodle arms. And the rolling damage, don't get me STARTED on that. It deals 20 damage. 20! An attack that looks as pathetic as accidentally knocking into someone while running deals damage in the double digits. Absurd. Overpowered.

AND THE BUBBLER. This allows you to safely show an opponent your amazing button mashing skills that they may consider not even killing you.

This weapon excels at psychologically torturing your opponents between the Bubbler and almost invisible sticker. This is very obviously an overcentralizing weapon, and until Nintendo nerfs it or possibly removes it from the game, I recommend that everyone use this weapon despite how overused it is. It's the only way to win.
Everyone should use this weapon so I can win more games.
XD M8. I know you're being sarcastic about this but I've actually seen good users of this thing. Only those with true skill and courage, however, (*insert patriotic music here*) are hard to fight with it. Now, if those skilled users were the overcentralization, that would be the dream of the meta, would it not be...

Chiyo

Inkling
NNID
chiyosenpai
I agree that the Inkbrush is far too OP; its only practical use is for camping/ambush. Now if you used stealth swim in combination with that, you'd be pretty deadly. Haha

I personally use the Splash-o-matic with bombs. Don't see that many of those come up in turfs wars at least; idk maybe I just can't tell. Lol

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Not a great lead-in.

It's pretty clear you haven't used online forums before. See what I did there. ;)

I'm used to watching DUDE play the .96 deco, so every time I pick it up I disappoint myself.
I suppose I made a poor choice of wording. I just find "too OP no weakness" so annoying that I assume that statement is only made by someone who hasn't felt the weaknesses and is just complaining for the sake of it.

On topic: Luna Blaster Neo seems popular and easy to pick up. Though, I'm not sure if that makes it "overcentralized" or whatever.

Last edited:

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
XD M8. I know you're being sarcastic about this but I've actually seen good users of this thing. Only those with true skill and courage, however, (*insert patriotic music here*) are hard to fight with it. Now, if those skilled users were the overcentralization, that would be the dream of the meta, would it not be...
Its's still a bad weapon though. :p I wish I saw people use it correctly though. I saw someone using it right after I posted that message and he always just beelined to opponents, even if they were facing him. He didn't even swerve or jump or do anything to make himself hard to hit. And when he was cornered, he just sat there hoping he wouldn't be noticed, no Ink Mines used ever. And this is sadly what most people do when I see them using this weapon.
Although it seems to only be for people using the Nouveau, not the vanilla (better) Inkbrush.

Back to the actual topic, Tentatek/Octoshot, .52 Gal, .96 Gal Deco, (Kelp) Splatterscope, Krak-On Roller/Carbon Roller (these feel like they switch periodically), and (surprisingly) the Tri Slosher are what I see a lot.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Its's still a bad weapon though. :p I wish I saw people use it correctly though. I saw someone using it right after I posted that message and he always just beelined to opponents, even if they were facing him. He didn't even swerve or jump or do anything to make himself hard to hit. And when he was cornered, he just sat there hoping he wouldn't be noticed, no Ink Mines used ever. And this is sadly what most people do when I see them using this weapon.
Although it seems to only be for people using the Nouveau, not the vanilla (better) Inkbrush.

Back to the actual topic, Tentatek/Octoshot, .52 Gal, .96 Gal Deco, (Kelp) Splatterscope, Krak-On Roller/Carbon Roller (these feel like they switch periodically), and (surprisingly) the Tri Slosher are what I see a lot.
Heh. THAT, my friend, is a Christmas noob using the weapon after just buying it, not knowing how to use it at all and probably never using sub weapons (most noobs forget about them). Ah...I've seen those types around...let us not take them as examples...one day I'm going to make threads about how to use hard weapons (probably after all the analysis threads are over).

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
After the 2.20 update I see teams of 2+ Krak-on Rollers and I'm just like "You poor noobs. You'll soon learn."

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Well the the question has already been answered in terms of what the overcentralized weapons are (.96 Gal Deco, Tentatek, .52 Gal, E-Liter 3K, and Luna Blasters in TC/RM).

Dynamo and Krak-On Rollers have been much less common ever since the 2.20 patch (at least from what I've seen in ranked, but everyone experiences in ranked isn't the same as mines so one person might encounter a bunch of Dynamo Rollers in their games while it's an uncommon encounter for someone else). I guess it was due to the roller changes on top of the fact that we have more new weapons can deal with them more easily and generally players are more experienced in fighting rollers as well.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I suppose I made a poor choice of wording. I just find "too OP no weakness" so annoying that I assume that statement is only made by someone who hasn't felt the weaknesses and is just complaining for the sake of it.

On topic: Luna Blaster Neo seems popular and easy to pick up. Though, I'm not sure if that makes it "overcentralized" or whatever.
Except I didn't just spout out nonsense. I gave reasons, and the reasons were agreed upon. Whether it is overcentralizing is completely subjective, God forbid someone expressed their opinion. I didn't whine and "complain for the sake of it", I didn't come in here saying ".96 Gal Deco is OP and people that use it are butts, wah wah wah". Learn how to have a decently civilized conversation instead of coming into threads assuming things.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Except I didn't just spout out nonsense. I gave reasons, and the reasons were agreed upon. Whether it is overcentralizing is completely subjective, God forbid someone expressed their opinion. I didn't whine and "complain for the sake of it", I didn't come in here saying ".96 Gal Deco is OP and people that use it are butts, wah wah wah". Learn how to have a decently civilized conversation instead of coming into threads assuming things.
I'm sorry, excuse my initial rudeness. I also gave counter arguments for why it has exploitable weaknesses. It's still a powerful weapon in the right hands but after the splash nerf it took a hard hit to its already poor ink efficiency. Sure if you're fighting one you'll never be able to tell how low it is on ink but if they throw out a wall they're hurting. I've seen many people claim the custom jet out ranks .96 Deco in strength and utility but it's not as polarizing because it doesn't get a barrier and requires more sustained fire (if you can't combine a burst bomb) for the kill. It just appears cjs isn't easy peasy to pick up and win with that it's not so popular that everyone is annoyed with it. Oh well, everyone gets annoyed by something that they constantly see in kill cam and I'd guess you'd like a change, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom