• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What We've Learned from Japan's Splatfest

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
One of my friends was able to participate in the Japanese Splatfest event. I have made a video detailing what we have learned about these events and shown off how stunning some of the maps and Inkopolis itself look at night.

If you don't want to watch the video, here is a quick breakdown of what we have learned.

• You can only play the Splatfest (Turf Wars) game mode during this event. That means for 24 hours, ranked modes are completely locked.
  • This also means that the matchmaking is locked by region which means that you might have issues with empty lobbies.
  • Despite this regional match making, there was a lot of lag throughout the course of the event.
What do you guys think of this so far?

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Excellent reporting. It is a bummer about Ranked, I thought wins in ANY mode would be able to contribute to your teams. I can also see connectivity being a big deal, due to those sea snails and the popularity of the game, like during the Great Misfire.

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
Nice! Thanks for the info! :)
Excellent reporting. It is a bummer about Ranked, I thought wins in ANY mode would be able to contribute to your teams. I can also see connectivity being a big deal, due to those sea snails and the popularity of the game, like during the Great Misfire.
Thanks so much for watching guys! They might change things for NA but I wouldn't count on it (besides the connection issues hopefully).

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
How does the contribution points for the event add up to Sea Snails?

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Thanks for the info! I´m a bit worried for regional matchmaking, I couldn´t play on Saturday but I heard people in Europe were having trouble to find matches with the Japanese locked in their Splatfest...

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Thanks for the info! I´m a bit worried for regional matchmaking, I couldn´t play on Saturday but I heard people in Europe were having trouble to find matches with the Japanese locked in their Splatfest...
I had no such problems during the Japanese splatfest. It was actually rather convenient to play in rooms without Japanese players. Nothing against them personally, but they are just the laggiest group of players to deal with and you simply won't get japanese-free rooms in global matchmaking.

I don't care about the ranked battles being locked, I mean it's splatfest, enjoy it and don't worry about ranks and all the serious stuff :D

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
How does the contribution points for the event add up to Sea Snails?
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. My friend got 12 points and 4 Super Sea Snails so it might be 3 points per snail if you're on the winning team. I'll try to confirm this for you.

Yes and it seems like the Japanese players were having trouble finding matches with other Japanese players in the Splatfest :V. I wonder what this will be like Europeans when North America's Splatfest begins this weekend.

I had no such problems during the Japanese splatfest. It was actually rather convenient to play in rooms without Japanese players. Nothing against them personally, but they are just the laggiest group of players to deal with and you simply won't get japanese-free rooms in global matchmaking.

I don't care about the ranked battles being locked, I mean it's splatfest, enjoy it and don't worry about ranks and all the serious stuff :D
I have heard this perspective as well. I suppose it's just a matter of what you value more.

Alecat

Full Squid
NNID
alecatmew
Australia. Australia missed the Japanese. We're lined up to join Europe's Splatfest, which will be... interesting.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
I hope the matchmaking and connection issues will be fixed by the time the NA Splatfest comes around.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
According to the Prima guide, during Splatfest you earn Splatfest EXP when your team wins a battle -- minimum of 3 EXP for a win, max of 5 EXP if you inked at least 400p of turf. At the end of the Splatfest, you get from 2 to 12 snails, depending on how much EXP you earned during the Splatfest. You need 184 EXP (37 wins if you can always ink 400p) to get 12 snails. If you're on the winning side, the number of snails is doubled.

redfeatherraven

Inkling
According to the Prima guide, during Splatfest you earn Splatfest EXP when your team wins a battle -- minimum of 3 EXP for a win, max of 5 EXP if you inked at least 400p of turf. At the end of the Splatfest, you get from 2 to 12 snails, depending on how much EXP you earned during the Splatfest. You need 184 EXP (37 wins if you can always ink 400p) to get 12 snails. If you're on the winning side, the number of snails is doubled.
I'm on a bit of a time budget during the splatfest, so I thought I'd calculate out how that translates into time.

If you always win, and we assume five minutes per match (a generous two to connect, then three for the match), it'll take a little over three hours to reach 37 wins.

I would allot double that time to account for an at least 50% win rate and matchmaking shenanigans. Clear your schedules, squiddos.

Friendly Face-Off

Full Squid
NNID
taikolover-desu
Now why can't Splatfest help you level up OR even have an option for normal/ranked matches or Splatfest matches... And the lag in such a small country compared to United States... just imagine what would happen if Nintendo doesn't fix it... :(

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Thanks for the info, I figured it would be only Turf War, and honestly I'm okay with that. Just a little let down that there's lag issues, I've experienced none in the game normally, I find it odd there would be so much during Splatfest when it's regional.

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
Thanks for the info, I figured it would be only Turf War, and honestly I'm okay with that. Just a little let down that there's lag issues, I've experienced none in the game normally, I find it odd there would be so much during Splatfest when it's regional.
No problem! Let's hope they fix the lag issues for this weekend!

Thanks for watching everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom