What would you want in a pencil nerf

beyondinsane

Inkling
Its obvious that it needs a nerf but what would you take from it? I
Personally i would add 10 points for special to the tacticooler kit and make its ink trail from its shots 5%~10% thinner like they did with stamper to reduce its special output. what do you think?

KibryHouse

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4782-5986-0003
I'd like if they lowered its range to that of the regular charger. It currently has about as much as a scoped charger, which is crazy...

zyf_

Pro Squid
I think basil's thread summarizes a lot of what makes pencil strong at high level, and you'd have to shut that down somehow for it to stop being overcentralizing
the main issue is we can't realistically dream of anything crazy cuz this is the splatoon 3 patch team we're talking about, it's a miracle if a special changes by more than 10p in a patch

the most obvious issue is that pencil completely flips the long-range paint dynamic on its head -- usually, weapons with less range are supposed to paint better, but pencil gets ridiculous paint output for a weapon that can play as safely as pencil can -- even ballpoint only has good paint on the short range mode, so you can't just sit on the other side of the map and paint really well

I don't think a range nerf is that good of an idea—decrease its range too much and it just becomes weaker bamboo, and if you just reduce it to like, unscoped range, that doesn't actually change very much of what it can do
similarly, just nerfing special doesn't do much when half of its threat is that it has basically limitless access to paint that will let it charge its special

for nerfing paint output, I feel like there's a couple options
1) hit it in the ink tank — but it already doesn't charge that many times so that kind of sucks to play at that point
2) increase charge time — honestly probably pretty effective, but probably also incredibly un-fun
3) thin out its painting lines — a solid idea that i think could be combo'd with something else
4) personally, my favorite idea would simply be to reduce its shots per charge to 4, or maybe even 3. it can still flash paint stuff suddenly, but you don't get to spam as much at people and you can't paint as well. the weapon is still able to do everything it could before, just not nearly as quickly

Carpfish

Inkling
NNID
Carpfish
Switch Friend Code
SW-5128-7824-8889
I love it's combo capabilities so it should keep charge time, 68 dmg, etc. But they should nerf the width of the paint and the pfs. 210 should do it. Maybe also make it paint its feet less so it's not as mobile of a weapon whenever it gets shot at. The strafe speed and ink efficiency should stay too. Pencil would be amazing if it was tuned back a little bit and allowed other backlines like heavy to shine.

The Knee

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-7739-4186-1690
I see a lot of people saying reduced range but personally I think the fact that you can pick off other backlines with it especially since you have to hit two shots. The thing I would wanna see happen is probably nerfing paint and pfs. I'm thinking maybe 210 and thinner paint lines since that would nerf its cooler output and also make the paint control from range less potent.

KibryHouse

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4782-5986-0003
I love it's combo capabilities so it should keep charge time, 68 dmg, etc. But they should nerf the width of the paint and the pfs. 210 should do it. Maybe also make it paint its feet less so it's not as mobile of a weapon whenever it gets shot at. The strafe speed and ink efficiency should stay too. Pencil would be amazing if it was tuned back a little bit and allowed other backlines like heavy to shine.
For sure, a paint nerf. I feel like its current issue is that its pretty much stuck in a position where it just sits in the back and paints and farms for its special, just like Jet Squelcher did in Splatoon 2.

Amit

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7091-9381-8335
paint and range. it paints way too wide and way too far for what it can do. id say make it paint a little narrower and a little less far away. and if were feeling good maybe 210 it

Sunflower._.

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6460-5764-2418
Either reduce the range to match Splat Charger and/or make it 210p but I wouldn't want to do a lot with it because I think it should somewhat still be good, but not as dominant as recent

Riolu124

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7274-3314-0334
I would personally want higher points for special, as well as maybe a small range nerf

Julian³

Inkster Jr.
If I were to nerf the weapon, I would nerf the paint output by both shot width and maximum range and then make it 210p. I do not like how you get rewarded when not trying to hit shots by painting a ton (like S2 Jet Squelcher.)

I also want cooler as a special to get a special saver nerf (maybe like 100% -> 70%.)

vybeyy

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4751-0645-3706
paint nerf, bit of a range nerf and special points nerf plz

Apollo29

Inkling
I actually think it might be good to increase charge time a little since that would solve a few problems all at once (slow down paint, give time for frontlines to get close, etc.). After that just nerf cooler

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom