what's something you love about splatoon?

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
since i've gotten more into the competitive side of splatoon over the past year, i've noticed ppl who focus more on the comp/pvp meta/balance patch aspect of the game tend to view it in a negative light and have a lot of criticism for it. a bunch of this criticism is definitely warranted but sometimes i feel like i'm in an echo chamber of negativity and find myself wondering "do you people even enjoy this game? do i even enjoy this game??" im making this thread to spread some positivity and hear what both comp and casual players love about splatoon

i'll go first! i think all 3 games' soundtracks are genuinely phenomenal. i can't think of any other game with a soundtrack full of so many diverse genres that are all done really well. every time a new song comes out for s3 i know its going to be a banger. building off of that, i love how in-depth the worldbuilding is ... all the music is not only made by in-universe bands, but all the bands' members are named and have little lore tidbits about them, and i think that's really fun. i also like when they drop random trivia in the art books. yes i want to know what kind of fruit they grow in the splatoon world. i wish i knew more abt how splatoon society operates and what the other countries in the splatoon world are like

gameplay-wise, they made salmon run SO much more fun from s2 to s3. i loved it already in s2 but they gave it so much more variety and replayability in s3. i love learning new techniques and watching overfishing gameplay and grinding for badges and queuing up with my friends for the new rotation or big run or eggstra work i love salmon run !!

Last edited:

evanstar

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1851-5708-4110
I really like the vast weapon choices with different play styles. I've played many, many weapons casually, and it feels like I still find something new and fun to play like... every other week. It's one of the main things that keeps me playing this game outside of competitive.
1000010976.png

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I like how movement focused the game is, with high ledges and small gaps that in other competitive shooters would be impassable being fun to roll around and drop off of in Splatoon

Deca_mara

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1370-9718-8311
The variety in weapons/options in the game to use and go against is what I enjoy the most. The fact that seeing some weapons on our or the other team can just change the way the game feels completely is really cool to me. I also love the amount of flexibility and expression some weapons give to the player.

angelicakuma

Inkster Jr.
I LOVE TRICOLOR!!! Some people really dislike it but to me it’s a lot of fun. Personally I love strategizing with friends to do really well, I hope after splatfests are done we can still play it!

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I LOVE TRICOLOR!!! Some people really dislike it but to me it’s a lot of fun. Personally I love strategizing with friends to do really well, I hope after splatfests are done we can still play it!
I hope all the challenge variables get added as options for PBs

Sleepy8500

Inkling
Pronouns
Male
NNID
XXDogssXX
Switch Friend Code
SW-4411-8611-4919
Atleast for the first game I just love the atmosphere and it has a different take on the third person shooter game

Say gex

Inkling
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-6354-5060-7441
i really like the movement in this game and the variety of weapon it offer and how the kit affect how you play them

Pineapple Death Match

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4487-0366-3601
I adore the lore & worldbuilding Splatoon has!!! It's such a rich and vibrant setting & very easy to get lost in :) - I love how even the tiniest details have a lot of backstory and genuine thought into them; like how all the in-game music is done by in-world bands with their own names and histories. (and OH MY GOD the music is so GOOD!!!! Even if the inkling language is basically gobbeldygook it sounds like a language all it's on. I should look around for how they managed that tbh - and I wonder how easily I could pass off Splatoon music as just any foreign language with a filter to people who don't know anything about the game)

I'm OBSESSED with the gamefeel splatoon has: quick movement, gyro aiming, and the way different weapon types play so uniquely from one another. The devs really knocked it out of the park! I never get bored of playing even just regular turf wars bc of the variety. Salmon run is insanely fun solo or with a friend or two, as well! It's probably one of my favorite modes overall.

Overall I think the Splatoon fandom at large is great! Some of my first exposures to the world of Splatoon were all the memes people would make for whatever splatfest was going on. There's a lot of depth to Splatoon, but it's all very accessible. And I love how openly LGBT+ at lot of us are as a fandom! It makes me feel right at home and I think it fits with the general vibe Splatoon has as a franchise.

tl;dr funny woomy squid game make brain go brrrrr <3

Shayreep

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1285-8726-3991
Ive been playing Splatoon for nearly five years and im still baffled how im not bored of it yet, like i get bored of things really quickly, especially video games, i tend to honeymoon phase a game for a week straight and never touch it again but Splatoon?! Is like some next level black magic where i still play it daily and find new things to do or new ways to enjoy it every single time. I think its the small things, like parrying an inkjet shot successfully and feeling like the baddest squid out there lol or making a game winning push or splat bombing 3 people at once. I really appreciate the design of this game

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
The mechanics of ink (as in, ink on the ground) add numerous totally unique aspects to the game that contrast other shooter games while working suprisingly well. In most games, you move slower to heal, reload, and be stealthier and cant do both st the same time, in splatoon, instead you can do all of those at once, while being faster, at the cost of only not being able to shoot your weapon, which incidentally is what paints terrain in the first place, giving a natural setbof pros and cons. It turns turf control into a much more intuitive way to visualize map control, and keeps the game fast paced even if you need to recover health or ammo.

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
Another thing i love is abilities. Most ganes dont include styff like abilities bc it is very easy to make them unfun. When abilities can change things that the enemy would otherwise depend on being a certain way to fight, it takes away something players interact with and can feel unfair, like if an ability gave you more health, faster ttk, different range, or more jumps. Instead (most) of the abilities in splatoon dont affect things like this, or avoid it as much as possible. Bombs are slow moving and dont explode immediately, so more bomb range isnt something that hurts the feel of combat. Run speed and swim speed can be seen by enemies, no ones fighting around hpw much ink they think an enemy has in the tank, or by how fast they can gain special exactly. Main exclusives can be more of an issue bc they can grant entirely new mechanics to work with, but bc you can see what main exclusives everyone has with the map, its easier to predict and adapt to them. Its genuinely impressive how much variety there is in abilities without them ruining how fights feel.
Some examples of this done poorly is mpu increasing range and damage, dmg up and defense up changing hits to kill, and sub resist/bomb defense making combos not work.

RnSp

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6240-3299-3133
The lore, music, little details, characters, I guess I just like lots if stuff about Splatoon

Shortcake

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1636-2040-6048
the game is pretty in its own unique way and finds a way to have a super cluttered screen that's still entirely understandable

Paruko

Inkling
The community does it for me, the fact that bigotry isn't tolerated and acceptance is everywhere makes me feel awesome and welcome

DChachouke

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
The swim form, a mechanic unique to splatoon, that allows for so, so many movement options. The unique weapon variety that allow for a variety of playstyle. The ink mechanics that make splatoon so distinct from other shooters and games. Flingza roller. And also the drip.

kyubone

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4233-4941-7227
i feel like for the most part the game tends to attract players with a certain energy and appreciation for silly things, which has made it pretty easy to make lasting connections - the social aspect is easily my favorite part. also as an avid rpg + mmo player i appreciate the level of customization we have for our characters (even if i wish we had even more options).

the punk, grungy vibes of some of the gear really resonate with me and i’m always looking for new fits to try out! my funny guy stays on the hunt for new drip, especially since i’m regularly trying new weapons and kits to see how they feel. the best incentive to to try new things is to make them fun and imo they nailed most of the kits in the fun department :)

i’ll cap it off by saying salmon run feels more complete and enjoyable to play than ever - egg throw was a relatively small mechanic with a massive impact, the new bosses add layers of mechanical depth without being overbearing, and i love how each king feels super unique to fight

s/o to my goats chirpy chips for consistently having the best music in the series 👾

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom