What's the appeal with the Aerospray and Sploosh-O-Matic?

MasterMarine

Inkling
NNID
MasterMarine
Switch Friend Code
SW-4811-2485-9604
It seems that every regular match I've joined, there's always one player with one of these two weapons, if not more. For any users of these blasters, please answer why this is the case. Thx

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
dunno about the sploosh but i know the aero can cover a lot of turf quickly.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
The Aerospray is extremely popular in turf war because it covers turf very quickly and is extremely easy to use (so much so that at the start of splatoon 2's life it became a meme).

The Sploosh is a very different weapon altogether. I can't really think why anyone would play it in turf war other than that it's pretty fun to use, but it's very popular in ranked at the moment due to its being one of the best slayers in the game (I think it has the fastest TTK in the whole game?)

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Both are good for turf war, but not so strong for ranked matches since people use much more powerful weapons (blasters, chargers, etc) in ranked. You probably get away with using them in lower ranked Splat Zones, but I don't know if I'd trust taking them to any other mode....too short ranged.

Gaijin Gamer

Inkling
NNID
Alshuny007
Switch Friend Code
SW-7491-1185-6133
Both are good for turf war, but not so strong for ranked matches since people use much more powerful weapons (blasters, chargers, etc) in ranked. You probably get away with using them in lower ranked Splat Zones, but I don't know if I'd trust taking them to any other mode....too short ranged.
I often use the Sploosh-O-Matic in Rainmaker as it is one of the highest DPS weapons in the game. I use Ninja Squid so when I pop out of the ink and shoot at close range, it'd have already been too late for the enemy to react.. unless they are a dualie user.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I often use the Sploosh-O-Matic in Rainmaker as it is one of the highest DPS weapons in the game. I use Ninja Squid so when I pop out of the ink and shoot at close range, it'd have already been too late for the enemy to react.. unless they are a dualie user.
Close-range, the sploosh is awesome....but when popping the RM at the opening, you have to be really fast getting right up on the RM since the range is so short. I just like a longer range weapon for popping the RM. If I used Sploosh in RM, I’d run opening gambit and a lot of swim speed. I can see the curling bombs being useful with helping to get to the RM faster or making a path for a teammate holding the RM.

Azure ST

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2076-3733-1036
Would've posted here several hrs ago but the post button wasn't responding.

Eve though I used to dislike the aerospray (mg), it's actually my fall-back-to weapon now because it's decent at turfing and zoning for how easy it is to use.

The main weapon paints well and with just enough firepower to at least win some firefights, but it's still pretty weak at combat unless you have some sort of upper hand/assistance. Suction bombs help w/ chip damage, turfing, and briefly blocking choke points. And the curling bomb launcher can quickly cover an entire section of the map and charges really quickly (160p? on a turfing weapon)

Against equally skilled players using more conventional shooters (eg tentatek splattershot) an aerospray probably wouldn't have much of a chance, but I still enjoy being an annoying pest with comeback + quick respawn and assisting with map control and the objective. I see it as an aggressive support weapon if anything.

I can't say anything about the alt aerospray or either sploosh weapon because I don't use them

superlativeb

Inkster Jr.
i've seen a few ppls use it pretty effectively in ranked as well , depending. If you get the jump on other players and charger special / hold zone it can be a nice assist. Depends on what type of player you are , but for a support for zone and special camping it can get the job done. A bit annoying maybe if your team thinks ya aren't pulling your weight but to me thats kinda the beauty of sploon is the variety and how ya can use em'.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They're good for turfing, but most importantly, they're quite easy to grasp. Though that doesn't necessarily mean people are always very good with them...
They're also close-ranged killers that don't require a very steady aim. That makes them quite good to use if you play it fast and loose.

Vanilla Sploosh is also used by those dime a dozen base-invader people.

Gaijin Gamer

Inkling
NNID
Alshuny007
Switch Friend Code
SW-7491-1185-6133
Close-range, the sploosh is awesome....but when popping the RM at the opening, you have to be really fast getting right up on the RM since the range is so short. I just like a longer range weapon for popping the RM. If I used Sploosh in RM, I’d run opening gambit and a lot of swim speed. I can see the curling bombs being useful with helping to get to the RM faster or making a path for a teammate holding the RM.
I forgot to mention that another nice thing about the Sploosh is its Splashdown ability. It help push back the RM's bubble if the enemy inked it a little, or even better when you super jump to an ally close to the RM bubble during a fight with the Splashdown ready. It gives the Special the maximum power; bonus if you are rolling Special Up on all three sub-slots of a gear, allowing you to instantly burst the bubble while avoid getting shot mid-air, as well as taking out any enemies close to the RM.

That, with the other positives of the Sploosh mentioned earlier makes it a very effective weapon in my opinion, both in turf and ranked modes.

techton

Senior Squid
The Sploosh is the meta in both Turf and Ranked. Then again, it's pretty overpowered. Also kind of a crutch, which is why I tend to discriminate those who main it.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
The Aerospray and the Sploosh

For the Aerospray, it has great painting, so you'll get your specials fast on this weapon. That and the MG version is the only weapon with Curling Bomb Rush. Those two attributes are really the only reason you'd seriously use the weapon. Besides that, its just a weapon popular with inexperienced players who can't aim and can't fight since the weapon is a short inaccurate weapon but its great for painting.

The Sploosh, is a solo player's weapon. It honestly won't get you that far in higher ranks. It benefits people who play super close up, and it kills fast when in that kill zone. The main appeal for this weapon though is it has Curling Bomb and Splashdown. Splashdown being the panic button Special, it's a crutch for less experienced players. Highly mobile, gear for getting around fast and turfing. I don't really see the Neo much though.

In a sense, they're both low learning curve weapons. Aerospray because most players of it are non-confrontational and Sploosh because it plays point blank and has a crutch special.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Let's see, the sploosh and the aerospray.

Let's start off with the positives. The sploosh and the aerospray have excellent rates of fire and they're both amazing at turfing ground. They both have pretty good mobility as well. With the sploosh being in the light weight class. The sploosh excels at point blank combat, having amazing DPS up close, and it's only a 3 shot kill. The aerospray isn't as good up close, but it has a bit more range, and two kits that allow it to cover loads of ground.

And that's about all the positive things I can say about both. Their weaknesses (short range and shot deviation) really limit them from doing much work. If anything, they're going to spend a lot of time turfing up the map, and charging up their specials. They can go for flanks, but a lot of weapons can simply walk back / zone them out so they can't fight them safely.

They're both pretty easy weapons to understand, and they can turf up the map quickly, which is appreciated in all skill levels.

But metagame wise, the aerospray RG became meta for a month, since baller was incredibly good, and the aerospray had the fastest baller in the game. And since then, the aerospray hasn't seen much since then. As for the sploosh, this thing has never seen much competitive use. The awful range and spread really limit how this weapon can attack players.

The Sploosh is the meta in both Turf and Ranked. Then again, it's pretty overpowered. Also kind of a crutch, which is why I tend to discriminate those who main it.
Sploosh is far from OP. The range barely extends out of the barrel, and the one kit that gets used (curling bomb / splashdown) is incredibly predictable. Plus, splat roller wears that kit better. Also, have you seen the dapple dualies compared to the sploosh? More range, DPS, and dodge rolls. Plus two kits that can play a great support role, and you have a sploosh on steroids. It takes the sploosh's strengths and dials them up, while giving it the option to play a hardcore support. Which makes the dapples much less predictable and linear than a sploosh.

The only disadvantage the dapples have in comparison to the sploosh is that neither kit has a bomb, and curling bomb is a nice sub for mobility. And that's about it. Sploosh just can't compete while the dapples are a thing. Even if it wants to play it's slayer / flanker role, it's going to be outclassed in 1v1 scenarios thanks to dodge rolls, and experienced players can deal with a sploosh trying to rush in and splashdown, as it's rather predictable.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Aero MG and Sploosh are very easy to master weapons, giving high reward in low-level play that will soon diminish as the player gets in harder lobbies. A shame really, there are plenty of weapons that are easy to learn that will still give high reward later on (N-Zap '85, Jr,Clash, Dualie Squelchers).
Nonetheless they are still very popular choices for players who mostly want to paint stuff up and let the resident slayer on their team handle the rest.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't really see the Neo much though.
I almost never see it either. Which is clearly because it's not effective for those base invaders.

But interestingly I did see someone use it the other day...only to use if exacly like your typical base invader vanilla Sploosh players. He even used the Tenta Missles as soon as he could. Though of course the lack of Curling bomb made it easier to catch up on him so it was even less of a threat as vanilla players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom