What's the BIS abilities for the dynamo roller in ranked?

Xano

Inkling
I've seen a lot of varied opinions and I'm wondering if there's a consensus on the BIS abilities for the dynamo roller in ranked? I know having ink resistance is pretty much mandatory.

Admiral Ackbar

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ILYAdmiralAckbar
I'd suggest a lot of Ink Recovery Up and Main Saver.
Quick Respawn and Swim Speed Up are useful on almost any set as well so you can sprinkle those on top if you'd like.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So, I've got a set I've been messing around with and I like it quite a lot.
As stated above, Ink Recovery Up and Main Saver are STRONGLY encouraged (damn near mandated). I'd strongly recommend carrying Damage ups as well to allow your ink at a farther range to do more damage, as long as it's directly in front of the roller (thanks Nerf Gods. . . ). Cold Blooded isn't necessary, neither is Ink Resistance Up, but they are simply the two best abilities, bar Swim speed up, in the game and they are extremely helpful at times. I've enjoyed this set quite a bit. Tenacity also isn't required, I just like it for certain situations. Otherwise I use the head band below it as the extra Damage boosts really help with enemies that are farther away.

Hope this helps.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Cold Blooded, Ink Resistance, at least 1 main/roll of Damage, Swim Speed, and Ink Saver Main, the last roll/main can be whichever you prefer, but I'm going for more Damage and swim speed.

Xano

Inkling
Great advice! Would taking swim speed over cold blooded be worth it?

Filo ITA

Full Squid
NNID
FiloSNK
Ink resistance, absolutely. Then I don't know. I'm getting used to have no ink saver/refill and doing quite good in ranked (while they may be mandatory in TW), so the other slots are for cold blooded, quick respawns, swim speed up and a bit of damage ups (three subs/one main). I have a set with two defense ups main and three sub, works quite well but I missed my cold blooded too much (third main slot was for ink resistance).

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I wouldn't recommend it as the Dynamo still has to play a lot like the other rollers.
I'm not too sure about that.
Most other rollers get up in the action. Dynamo Roller tends to stay in the back and kill from afar. Not saying Swim speed isn't a good ability to use, but Cold Blooded is also very much appreciated for a more defensive/support weapon. Having to only deal with 2.5 seconds worth of Echolocator is a MASSIVE positive. Being able to pop up undetected and score detrimental kills while everyone else is echolocated, can be very helpful for most teams.

Guess it'd come down to personal preference.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
I'm not too sure about that.
Most other rollers get up in the action. Dynamo Roller tends to stay in the back and kill from afar. Not saying Swim speed isn't a good ability to use, but Cold Blooded is also very much appreciated for a more defensive/support weapon. Having to only deal with 2.5 seconds worth of Echolocator is a MASSIVE positive. Being able to pop up undetected and score detrimental kills while everyone else is echolocated, can be very helpful for most teams.

Guess it'd come down to personal preference.
I was saying I wouldn't recommend taking Swim Speed over Cold Blooded, not the other way around :P

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
:ability_inkresistance: is good on near everything, and useful on the Dynamo because it takes a while to start inking.

:ability_inksavermain: and :ability_inkrecovery: are almost necessary if you want to fling a lot, as the weapon burns through ink fast.

:ability_damage: increases your splat range, so it can be very useful.

My current setup.
:head_first::ability_inkrecovery:l:ability_damage::ability_specialduration::ability_damage:
:clothes_tel003::ability_damage:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain:
Red High Tops :ability_inkresistance:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_specialsaver:

The rolls are not perfect, but it works well enough for me. Might roll the Legendary Cap once I get it to see if I can stack more :ability_damage: and :ability_inksavermain:.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Necessary at all times: Ink Resist Up, Ink Saver Main
Recommended: Ink Recovery Up, Cold Blooded, Damage Up (1 main/3subs- 2 main/6 sub)
Map dependent: Swim Speed Up (1 main 2 subs minimum)

Everything else is preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom