• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's With All The "I wish [noun] was real" things?

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Most of the things they wish were real already are.

I'm starting to think that memes are slowly transforming the human race into a bunch of brainless degenerates.

speedySonic

Full Squid
Agent Z makes a good point. I wish Agent Z was real. :(

In all seriousness, it's a meme from Splatoon 1 where some kid posted "Squids are cool. I wish squids were real :(". It got brought back over to the new Splatoon, as I expect most of the memes from Splatoon 1 will do eventually.

I predict "THE OCTOLING ATTACKS" will return next.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
It's the meme of the week, and speedy above me explained it's origins. Last week was "ink your spawn!!!", the week before that was furries, and now it's "I wish [noun] were real"

I think it's pretty neat to see Not-Miiverse go through phases like this, makes it feel like a real community with sub-culture and sub-memery. Of course, this time it got run into the ground a bit quicker than usual. Oh well. Still makes me chuckle sometimes.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I think it refers to the huge Octoling hacker scare back in the first game. :p
oh god, i remember the octo scare. everyone was paranoid of octoling hackers soft locking their game because the plaza cant render their models or something. and rumors of someone using the Hydra Splatling before it released during Splatfest. (and before it got it's awesome buff, so it wasnt even that threatening ;p)

aeron!

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5897-6499-1183
Ooh, I remember the hacker scare. I was so paranoid I'd run into one in a match & be forced to stay in the lobby until they left :D It didn't seem to last that long, though

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Ooh, I remember the hacker scare. I was so paranoid I'd run into one in a match & be forced to stay in the lobby until they left :D It didn't seem to last that long, though
Yeah. in hindsight, it didnt last very long at all, but it felt like it was going to go on forever at the time. haha

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I've started seeing some folks trying to start a Squid Luigi meme.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Didn't you make a thread about the furry posts as well? This is just the latest trend, we don't need a thread for each of them as it happens.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
It's the meme of the week, and speedy above me explained it's origins. Last week was "ink your spawn!!!", the week before that was furries, and now it's "I wish [noun] were real"

I think it's pretty neat to see Not-Miiverse go through phases like this, makes it feel like a real community with sub-culture and sub-memery. Of course, this time it got run into the ground a bit quicker than usual. Oh well. Still makes me chuckle sometimes.
It can be interesting to see how these phases play out, but sometimes some might not find that joke funny to begin with (expectantly when its spammed to the ground)... but maybe that's just me since I never really cared about that joke to begin with.

Although I did enjoy the trend where players made a bunch of Miiverse posts of random tips for Salmon Run to help newer players (or even experienced players how didn't noticed that small detail at first), like using the Stingray to take down the Mothership easily (as well as talking down bosses like Flyfish and Stealheads). And there was another tip I didn't know about until few days ago about finding the Goldie Salmon easily in the "Finding the Goldie" event.

I've started seeing some folks trying to start a Squid Luigi meme.
I noticed that as well, but I know nothing about that joke.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
Speed Luigi from Vinesauce + Splatoon influence = Squid Luigi, most likely.
Yeah, this. Vinny from Vinesauce used to do Miiverse sketches on Game and Wario, and would frequently add a quickly-drawn, off-model Luigi with a really long tongue whenever he started to run out of time. It became a meme in the Vinesauce community, and from there it probably migrated to Miiverse and is being brought over like a lot of the old Miiverse memes.

Or maybe there's just a really big overlap between Vinesauce fans and Splatoon fans. I've seen some other references to the stream in the not-Miiverse as well. It wouldn't really surprise me, since Vinny is a huge Nintendo fan and has done a fair few Splatoon 2 streams.

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
Didn't you make a thread about the furry posts as well? This is just the latest trend, we don't need a thread for each of them as it happens.
i don't mind it, i kind of like discussing it lol

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
OK... Already waiting for the 5th meme... My tiny Meme Collection:
  1. Furries
  2. Ink your spawn
  3. I which something was/wasn't real
  4. And now even sexual problems (I didn't see that coming)

If you want that I upload some pictures just say it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom