• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

When is it right to turn around to stop someone in your base? (Turf wars)

halpenstance

Inkling
I see this situation all the time, but I'm never sure how to handle it.

You run into the middle, start your firefight with the enemies.
All is going well, you start to press forward.
You toss a glance down at your map and realize in horror that a roller has slipped by and is now in your base.

What's the right course of action?
Currently, I've always chosen to ignore them. I figure we might as well keep the pressure we have to see how far we can get. Hey, maybe we can manage to keep the firefight going on their turf and replicate the work of the roller but with more power. And even if we don't, once I die I can go back and clean up whatever that roller has put down.

That being said, there have been maybe an equal amount of times that we lose the firefight, and now when we respawn, the roller has set up a whole playing field of ink for our opponents to swim through.

So my question is, how do you handle this? (other than just saying 'don't let him do it in the first place'). The options include squid jumping back to base, but that acts kind of like they got a kill, reducing the pressure you had. There's also the option to just turn around where you're at, covering up the ink that the roller laid down. This, however, lets him continue to ink while you slowly catch up to him.

Anyway, figured this would be a neat place to discuss common issues and what the best way to deal with them is.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Just check what your Teammates are doing, if theres noone else near the Base, Squid Jump back and kill the enemy and then jump to a Teammate~
Too bad some People forget about the Super Jump.....

nice Avatar, you are the 3rd Person with it here

halpenstance

Inkling
Just check what your Teammates are doing, if theres noone else near the Base, Squid Jump back and kill the enemy and then jump to a Teammate~
Too bad some People forget about the Super Jump.....

nice Avatar, you are the 3rd Person with it here
Haha, oh boy. I just grabbed the first picture I liked. Well be changing it tomorrow then.

Makes sense. Super jumping back to an ally is a good point, one I keep forgetting is possible outside of spawn, like you said.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Oh and if you are not sure if you can take the enemy at your Base out just do the same and rush to his Base ~ xD (theres nothing worse than dieing while trying to defend the base)

halpenstance

Inkling
Alright. There shouldn't be anyone on this site with this one. Drawn by a friend.

That's another good point. Sometimes I'll be using a weapon that is either equal or less-good against the said roller/whoever. The times when I've gone back just to die feels awful, 'cause now the pressure is off from the main skirmish and the enemy gets to continue to paint the base.
I guess it depends on the situation then. If you think you can beat him, superjump back and contest it. If you don't, then try to slip by and do the same. Ignoring him might be the worst option?

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
It depends on alot of things-

• How far is my team pushed
  • How much territory does my team have covered
  • If they swarm our base via Super Jump, would they be able to come back and win?
  • Can we counter push their base while they enter ours and still maintain the lead?
Usually the BEST time to go back, is two teammates turn around and ink areas you missed while heading into your base. its usually not a good Idea (in my opinion) to jump to spawn if they are near that.

Flank them, kill any incoming super jumps and proceed to super jump back to your team.

Rollers are usually the main issue with base invasions, as they can ink alot of ground, Really fast.

Last edited:

Kikaioh

Full Squid
What I sometimes do is, I look for the return swim path of the enemy that's infiltrated the base, and paint over a chunk of the path that's closest to me. That way I don't stray too far from the center of the map, and if the enemy thinks they can swim back to safety the way they came, they'll run into my ink, which can be a problem for them if some of my teammates respawn and start chasing them out of our side of the map, increasing the odds that the enemy gets splatted.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
As long as he's alone, he won't do too much damage from what I've experienced. The biggest threat is that his teammates can and will super jump to him at some point and once the enemy starts to push from two sides (your AND his base), you've had center domination for the longest time.

Dylan1Kenobi

Inkling
NNID
Dylan1Kenobi
I always tend to go back and take him out. If someone gets past my front line I chase him down. I like knowing where every member of the enemy team is so I'm checking the map and the icons at the top of the screen so I know where they're inking and how many there are. I only tend to push forward if they're down a couple people or if I have good teammate support.

They can do a lot more damage in your base than you can in theirs. If you splat the enemy team then that person becomes a jump point and all of a sudden you're being flanked. Hold your line and keep the enemy team in front of you, that way you can just keep pressing in slowly and take control of the map.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
I would super jump back to my spawn point and take him out. Plus, I have the recon ability, so I could see all the enemies' locations when I'm on my spawn point, so none of them could take me by surprise. If the roller is close enough to my base, I could take him out without the threat of being killed myself.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
I think time can and should play into it.

I've had matches where one team is dominating the entire match, only to lose it because of a suicidal push across the map in the last minute, which can include one person slipping in your territory and another person who jumped to him.

If it's in the last minute, just take him out, otherwise it could be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom