When should you Ink Trot?

MewtwoLucas

Inkling
NNID
SMNathaniel
For those of you who don't know, there is a tech called Ink Trotting that I believe was found by Alpharad. I would leave a link to his video explaining the tech below, but it seems as though he deleted the video from his channel for some reason. If you know of another channel that has covered this tech, feel free to post it below. Basically, it allows you to move faster when there is no ink on the ground, and it covers some of the ground in ink while doing so. However, I was wondering how useful this is, as it leaves a lot of space with no ink. This means that at some point, you or one of your teammates will have to go back over space already traveled in order to ink it. So my question is, is it better to go a bit slower by not ink trotting, and get the whole area inked from the start, rather than going back over it later. However, I have found that it is very beneficial to use this in turf that the other side has already inked, as not only are you covering their ink, you are moving through it fast to get closer to the other team, and if performed correctly, you won't take any damage either. Let me know your thoughts on when you think it is beneficial to Ink Trot.

Life

Senior Squid
I personally call it inkwalking; looks like the most popular name is splatdashing.

Ultimately, it depends. If you're playing Jr and you want bubbler by the time you run into enemies, it's probably worth covering some of your base first and then swimming to catch up to your team. If you're playing something with higher raw combat potential but less spread, like .52 Gal, you'll want to rush in as quickly as possible.

Life

Senior Squid
Why are the names for the AT's getting worse lol?
Because people want to make squid names for things. Splatoon is a unique shooter with a lot of possibilities for movement, so it's not like we can just take names for old shooter tech like bunny hopping.

Setu

This was a thing at E3 actually. Idk where you've been. I'd say it's completely useless as I have seen no one use it effectively yet. And I funny how I have never heard this term before and that it happens to sound similar to fox trot... hmmmm... You also can't use fighter game terms like splat dashing(wavedashing) and ink trotting(fox trotting) along with racer terms(bunny hopping).... I agree that the terms should not sound like words a 10 year old would use.

MewtwoLucas

Inkling
NNID
SMNathaniel
Someone should start an AT naming thread where we just decide names for all the techs, the game is early and there is no agreed names for the techs, which can lead to confusion where someone may think there is a new tech when it is really just a new name for an old one.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
With a shooter that has poor range or when you're trying to quickly sneak through enemy ink.

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
For those of you who don't know, there is a tech called Ink Trotting that I believe was found by Alpharad. I would leave a link to his video explaining the tech below, but it seems as though he deleted the video from his channel for some reason. If you know of another channel that has covered this tech, feel free to post it below. Basically, it allows you to move faster when there is no ink on the ground, and it covers some of the ground in ink while doing so. However, I was wondering how useful this is, as it leaves a lot of space with no ink. This means that at some point, you or one of your teammates will have to go back over space already traveled in order to ink it. So my question is, is it better to go a bit slower by not ink trotting, and get the whole area inked from the start, rather than going back over it later. However, I have found that it is very beneficial to use this in turf that the other side has already inked, as not only are you covering their ink, you are moving through it fast to get closer to the other team, and if performed correctly, you won't take any damage either. Let me know your thoughts on when you think it is beneficial to Ink Trot.
Going back over old space isn't the issue. Reaching critical chokepoints before your opponents can is the issue, so that your teammates have the leisure to cover the grounds you've splatdashed over later with a roller--preferably without being fired upon.

This is especially true if they're packing Splat Wall secondaries. From testing, those have been very useful for steady pushes. Their presence effectively means enemy shooters have to pull back and reposition, giving up ground in the process, or drop their own wall to negate.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
You should always ink trot on rollout so you can have a better chance of setting up in the main area. This will be doubly true in Splat zones, but if someone respawns and wants to cover base they can so long as you still have presence forward.

Remember, only one person technically has to rollout to the main area. if everyone else just covers base, they can easily jump to him slightly before things heat up. People who want to go down the other paths though should go their own way trotting. You'll never need to do that in splat zones though since only the zones matter. It also wouldn't hurt to send more on initial rollout before the jump so as to set up pressure a little tougher earlier. This is also map dependent: You should rollout absolutely everyone immediately on the rig for example, because jumping into that initial choke is not by any means safe, and there's not much base to paint. If someone is going up the side though and you want to jump up there, then you can mess around a bit somewhere else or fill in things if you wish.

For randoms you should always roll out with trot because there's no cohesion and you want to ensure they take the choke. Plus most everyone else will paint immediately anyway, so you don't have to worry about it. Most randoms do a good enough job getting to choke anyway even without trotting, they'll kind of hopscotch in the ink with people taking turns painting paths so no one really has to stop, and they'll be like 2-3 seconds behind you (which is a lot but not really as much in a non team game) but if you can get to choke on the rig before they get to their ramp you have a massive advantage. And if they don't go up the ramp, they're usually going up the side and you should have your eyes in that direction, as if you've already painted the ramp you won't get surprised before you can shift your eyes back and forth, so if they're just slower than normal you'll still see them.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Someone should start an AT naming thread where we just decide names for all the techs, the game is early and there is no agreed names for the techs, which can lead to confusion where someone may think there is a new tech when it is really just a new name for an old one.
Could start by not naming them "techs". There are some useful tricks in the games, but I am yet to see someone posting about an actual "tech".

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Could start by not naming them "techs". There are some useful tricks in the games, but I am yet to see someone posting about an actual "tech".
This. It feels like everyone is in a huge rush to name stuff as soon as possible, and I guess it's so they can be the person who coined the term or something? Either way it's a pretty silly practice and makes us look bad, any 'techs' that were 'discovered' so far are really just some combination of squidding and jumping, something most people will do naturally anyways.

MewtwoLucas

Inkling
NNID
SMNathaniel
This. It feels like everyone is in a huge rush to name stuff as soon as possible, and I guess it's so they can be the person who coined the term or something?
I think it's really just so we have something to call it and everyone will know what we are talking about right away, that's why I want to name things at least, I don't care who came up with the term I just want a term to use.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I think it's really just so we have something to call it and everyone will know what we are talking about right away, that's why I want to name things at least, I don't care who came up with the term I just want a term to use.
We don't have anything to name though, like i said, a lot of this stuff is just some combination of squidding, shooting and jumping, which someone could easil explain or show via video without names like splatdashing or whatever.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
I agree that the terms should not sound like words a 10 year old would use.
It's a game 10 year olds will be playing, I don't see why we'd have to be "mature" with naming conventions. Splat Hopping or Dashing or whatever sounds fine to me. Also, I feel as if Splat Dashing and Wave Dashing have similar names because both involve increasing momentum, not because people just want to carry across Smash terminology.

Setu

It's a game 10 year olds will be playing, I don't see why we'd have to be "mature" with naming conventions. Splat Hopping or Dashing or whatever sounds fine to me. Also, I feel as if Splat Dashing and Wave Dashing have similar names because both involve increasing momentum, not because people just want to carry across Smash terminology.
A LOT of 10 year old will be playing competitive, that's for sure, lol

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
A LOT of 10 year old will be playing competitive, that's for sure, lol
I'm highlighting that the game is lighthearted and appeals to 10 year olds, so if a game like Call of Duty's fan base doesn't go "OHH WE'RE TOO MATURE FOR A TERM LIKE BUNNY HOPPING!" why the hell should the Splatoon fan base?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't really see a use for it, honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom