• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

When you DC from a game, it counts as a loss.

infestx

Inkling
NNID
infestx
Like the title says, when you disconnect from a game, whether it be from turning your game off or because of internet issues, it counts as a loss. This means that the game you just disconnected from counted as a loss, and you lose points from both your win streak and from your rank points if you were playing ranked play. So if you disconnect once and you care about your win streak or rank points, be cautious of going into another game.

However, I hate this. I have disconnected four times in a row because my internet wasn't so great at that moment (internet goes good to bad from time to time), and I went from 86 points to 38 during ranked play. This is partially my fault because I decided to go on, but why in the world does this happen? If I disconnect due to things I couldn't have controlled, why am I punished for it? This is just me being a little salty after losing so many points, but what do you think?

NNID
TheLetsPlayGhost
This sort of thing has always bugged me too. I hate being punished for doing something out of my control.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've been disconnected from a few games that had massive lag for everyone in them. Does this still count as a loss? Is any of this confirmed, also?

PhoenixRiku

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SweeetPR
People complain about this a lot on counter strike global offense boards as well. "It's not fair that I'm banned for having bad internet". Problem is it is difficult to tell who is just quitting and hurting teammates (which then they deserve to lose) or just has internet issues. Even if they look at connection logs one can just turn off internet for a second when losing to avoid a loss. Sure it sucks but it is to prevent extremely easy abuse.

Also to counter an argument that could counter my point. "Why not make it not count if disconnect happened in first X seconds?" Still can be abused if you know that your team is terrible or something from previous games.

dcooper

Senior Squid
NNID
victoriafan15
I found this bogus they should only take points away if you leave in a middle of a match not from being dc.

SolarTrifle

Inkling
NNID
SolarTrifle
I find it so annoying when I'm playing a ranked mode for 2 minutes and we're winning and then I d/c because my internet also likes to drop. I understand that it's difficult to tell if people are just quitting or if they're having connection issues, but losing necessarily is still irking.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
Back in the days of Mario Kart Wii, I had really crappy wifi to the point where I would DC after every three races or so. It was so hard to build up VR (the point system on there) because DCing counted you as coming in last and made you lose tons of points. All of that went away when we finally upgraded to good wifi. I don't know why Nintendo has to be so punishing over DCing...

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
My problem is whenever I disconnect because it is the game's fault, and not my own. But if you disconnect because of your own connection, then it is fair game to count it as a loss in my books.

PhoenixRiku

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SweeetPR
My problem is whenever I disconnect because it is the game's fault, and not my own. But if you disconnect because of your own connection, then it is fair game to count it as a loss in my books.
Yeah if servers go down for maintenance or just from Nintendo error that is fine.

Also for those who think Nintendo is harsh with disconnections because you lose points in an online rating system. Counter Strike, League of Legends, Dota 2, etc. would like a word with you.

Those actually ban / put you with toxic players or other leavers.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
If there was an easy way to distinguish the 2, it would solve everything. Sadly there really isn't as of now

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
If you happen to DC by yourself, you'd likely be the reason for the loss of your remaining team. So, despite the lack of reason, it still counts as a loss. It's bogus, but if others loss thanks to crappy netcode, then I loss too. If the whole team DCs and the lobby breaks then yeah, taking a loss would be bogus. I've had near to no issues with playing online unless I'm playing with European or Candaians. Otherwise connection is a *****.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
I've only disconnected twice in total ever. I'm using a wired connection, though, and those two times my router decided to reset...

SockHead

Inkling
NNID
GyaradosBlood
Haven't had an issue with DCing, so it doesn't really bother me. If you are any good to begin with, you'll just win the ones that you're connecting.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
How do you get a wired internet connection on the Wii U? I'm interested because my wifi is very spotty.
The Wii U does not have an ethernet port, however you can bus the ethernet in through the USB port using an adapter. You can check online for "Wii LAN adapter" or really any USB lan adapter, it's just searching for a "Wii" one will come in a complimentary color for the system.

After connecting it, go into Internet Settings in the System Settings, and you'll find "Wired Connection" available over Wi-Fi.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
How do you get a wired internet connection on the Wii U? I'm interested because my wifi is very spotty.
The Wii U does not have an ethernet port, however you can bus the ethernet in through the USB port using an adapter. You can check online for "Wii LAN adapter" or really any USB lan adapter, it's just searching for a "Wii" one will come in a complimentary color for the system.

After connecting it, go into Internet Settings in the System Settings, and you'll find "Wired Connection" available over Wi-Fi.
This. Gotta buy one. You can get it on amazon for like 12-15 buckaroos.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I haven't disconnected in splat battles yet. (I have once during Turf War.)

Punishment seems fair. Even if it's the game's fault, it is only 10 points.

As for things like faulty internet for some people, well, I really don't mean to be rude, but this is a mainly online game. That person really should've at least thought about it before buying/playing the game at the moment.

Overall though, I don't care too much about rank so all in all, the penalty doesn't affect me that much.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
I haven't disconnected in splat battles yet. (I have once during Turf War.)

Punishment seems fair. Even if it's the game's fault, it is only 10 points.

As for things like faulty internet for some people, well, I really don't mean to be rude, but this is a mainly online game. That person really should've at least thought about it before buying/playing the game at the moment.

Overall though, I don't care too much about rank so all in all, the penalty doesn't affect me that much.
I've been discounted about ~30 or so times, since Splatoon's release, in both Turf Wars and Splat Zones. Every single time, none of my other devices or Wi-Fi was dropping signal and it was solely on Nintendo's networking that I was disconnected. In these cases, I should not be penalized points for something outside of my control. I'm more than sure Nintendo is capable of programming the game in a way that you won't be penalized for disconnecting based on a networking error vs loss of power or manually network shut offs.

ParaasiteNZ

Inkling
NNID
Parasite_eveNZ
Oooh thanks dude i t something was off when i DC from games ain't that just bullshit but what i don't like and will probably hurt the lifespan and playability of the game in the long run is the fact that you have to have 8 people in player matches just to start a match and if even 1 guy DC the whole game goes with him and you lose. I have had multiple games now where we flanked the team into their respawn point and then 1 ****head rage quits and strips me of all the ponts we would have earned from winning

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom