Which weapon family has the highest skill floor?

Which weapon family has the highest skill floor?

• E-Liter

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Bamboozler

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Squiffer

• H3 Nozzlenose

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Inkbrush

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Hydra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rapid Blaster / RB Pro

• Other (My thoughtful and highly detailed reasoning is below.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sloshing Machine (By demand)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
So I've been wondering what most players here consider to be the weapons with the highest skill floor. I set this up as a poll but ideally it would be best if you could reply listing them in order order of highest skill floor to lowest skill floor (or include a different weapon if you disagree with these choices as the hardest.) I look forward to the results! :)

UGH I can't find a way to edit the messed up title! MODS, HELP! :) Title should be "Which weapon has the highest skill floor" - it's not supposed to be a Buzzfeed-worthy subject, honest :)

Award

LOL
It's a shame I badly messed up the title of the topic - I was wanting to post this poll for, like, a month :P

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ask a mod to delete because of your mistake and try again? :P

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
H. 3. Nozzlenose.

EDIT of in-depth
It exposes your fundamentals like an ant under a magnifying glass under the sun. Use this gun if you want to know if you suck at this game. To do well with this, you need not only knowledge of this weapon, but knowledge of others. You have to combine tactics from various different weapon types to survive.

Bamboozler series is a close 2nd. I put H-3 above them only because, once you can finally Bamboozle properly, you get much better rewards. It requires precise aim and a good reaction speed, but you can also shoot at a moderately safe distance compared to most weapons in the game.

Last edited:

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Disregarding all sub-weapons and special-weapons, it's between the Bamboozler and the H3 Nozzlenose. The Bamboozler isn't too hard to use against opponents with slightly damaged health since it can kill them with one fully-charged shot, but as a two-shot weapon against opponents with full health, it's very difficult to work with it. You need extreme precision and reaction speed. Again, disregarding the possible usage of Burst Bombs. Due to the fact that it covers only a little amount of turf, the opponent's ability to evade the second shot is pretty much endless. You need to perfectly react and aim. With high input of skill comes a very high reward though.

While the Bamboozler requires a lot of precision and reaction speed, the Nozzlenose requires the ability to flawlessly lock your opponent in your aim taking every possible movement into account. That of course also requires massively good reaction speed, but compared to the Bamboozler, the aim needs to be more steady than precise.

Award

H. 3. Nozzlenose.

EDIT of in-depth
It exposes your fundamentals like an ant under a magnifying glass under the sun. Use this gun if you want to know if you suck at this game. To do well with this, you need not only knowledge of this weapon, but knowledge of others. You have to combine tactics from various different weapon types to survive.

Bamboozler series is a close 2nd. I put H-3 above them only because, once you can finally Bamboozle properly, you get much better rewards. It requires precise aim and a good reaction speed, but you can also shoot at a moderately safe distance compared to most weapons in the game.
What does it say when I seem to have some of my most consistently good ratios when using H3? :P It never reaches the highest highs that eliters can bring me and never reaches the lowest lows brushes can bring me. It's fairly consistently a positive ration of a minimum of 5 :) It might be my most consistent weapon at least in RM. That might be just because players don't know how to deal with one because they never see one :)

Doesn't mean it brings me victory though. I won 8/23 games yesterday playing in A (then A-) on my 2nd alt. First part was Pinkbrush, Fsquiffer, Bambi mk1, bambi mk2, carbon roller, eliter, and Refurb desperately trying to win SOMETHING in zones with useless teammates. Sometimes my k/d was good, sometimes I died in double digits as the only one near the zone.

But switched to H3D in RM, and still lost more than won - but won MORE, and had consistently decent k/d :P

Doesn't mean I didn't miss a LOT more shots than I'd have liked to. It's not lag friendly, but neither is eliter. I feel so stupid when I shoot and miss. Then get another shot to shoot and miss...then get splatted :P

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
UGH I can't find a way to edit the messed up title! MODS, HELP! :) Title should be "Which weapon has the highest skill floor" - it's not supposed to be a Buzzfeed-worthy subject, honest :)
Looking back at one of my threads, i figured out how you can change it. To the left, right above the tread and below the title, there is a button called "Thread Tools". click it, and there you have the option to edit the title. on mobile, the button is between the thread title and the thread itself.

Award

Looking back at one of my threads, i figured out how you can change it. To the left, right above the tread and below the title, there is a button called "Thread Tools". click it, and there you have the option to edit the title. on mobile, the button is between the thread title and the thread itself.
NGYES! You saved the thread! An extra helping of woomy for you! :D

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I don't think it's the very highest, but the Sloshing Machines deserve a place in the poll, at least. Unlike other buckets, they are not guaranteed two-shot splats; the high-damage epicentre of the attack is really difficult to hit a dodgy opponent with, due to the start-up lag of every attack, and if you don't get a direct hit in the first two attacks, it'll take a third, assuming all three at least strike indirectly. And even with just two hits, this weapon has one of the most pathetic TTKs, if not the worst, of anything that doesn't need charging up.

On top of that, aside from the Inkbrush and possibly regular Rapid Blasters, SMs have a lower range than anything listed in the poll. Aaand, although the shots work like those of a (not so) Rapid Blaster, there's no explosion in the air, and a shot is completely nullified if the epicentre hits a solid surface (even if it seems like the fringe of the shot should carry on a little farther).

I make the worst sales pitch ever, but, honestly, I adore these weapons, which is why I draw attention to them. What they have got going for them is that they can do a few things that, very literally, no other weapon can do. For instance, although, in theory, all buckets are meant to be capable of attacking over walls or up/down ledges, the shots of the Tri and Slosher are very prone to being absorbed by such surfaces, whereas one can get the Machine's epicentre past such obstacles with more versatility. It's also able to attack over Splash Walls, although one needs a little cover of one's own and actually aiming at the opponent becomes a whole new mini-game, as you have to fire upwards to do so...

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
I will say the H-3, because I see it get so much use, I almost forgot it existed.
But on a more serious note, this thing is unforgiving. I see it as a brutal way to try and improve on certain aspects.
Your aim and ability to track your target needs to be on point to make those 3 shots hit and it shoots just slow enough that you have to make them count or otherwise you will most likely miss that splat.

And as @Shun_one said, you need so much knowledge of everything, one simple mistake can result in death.

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Actually, I agree with you. This weapon type gets my 3rd hardest to learn vote, personally. Just for it's very nature of being a type of Slosher/Blaster hybrid.

@Award I guess that means you've got solid fundamentals! You'll know you're even better when you can carry your team to victory with good tactical decisions and making those key splats. I've been spending more time with the D variant to get a feel for it, and, honestly, if most of your splats are from Inkzooka you're doing it wrong. But doing it right is very hard.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Out of the group I've hardly taken time to play with the Rapid Blasters. Yet I still have the most troubles with the E-Liter series. Every other charger I'm competent with and they felt utterly simple for me to use. But those E-Liters I can't quite grapple yet.

Meanwhile, after hearing about the Nozzlenoses so much since the latest patch, I think will start slowly edging them into my heavy usage group.

Award

@Cuttleshock I added Sloshing Machine for you :) Yo're right, that's a good candidate. I suck with it, but I don't enjoy using it that much so that's part of why :)

Actually, I agree with you. This weapon type gets my 3rd hardest to learn vote, personally. Just for it's very nature of being a type of Slosher/Blaster hybrid.

@Award I guess that means you've got solid fundamentals! You'll know you're even better when you can carry your team to victory with good tactical decisions and making those key splats. I've been spending more time with the D variant to get a feel for it, and, honestly, if most of your splats are from Inkzooka you're doing it wrong. But doing it right is very hard.
Nice! Carrying horrible teams is one thing that I have yet to master. past few days in solo in the A's on my alt, I end up just racing into danger again and again trying to make up for truly awful teammates and end up with dreadful k/d's meanwhile my team is nowhere near the zone/tower (or my favorite, all 3 of them are standing BEHIND the tower, using it as a shield, so when I get splatted off, they all get splatted by the enemy now moving past it and it's a team wipe... :) ) I admit, carrying is easier in RM where I'm more likely to be using H3 though :)

Actually the D version is the one I've been using the past few days. Rm. I got sick of carbon rollers jumping me and the abundance of suction bombs everywhere to the point that they seem less useful, so I've been going with the sensor/zooka build. i SHOULDN'T get a lot of inkzookas unless I'm standing around waiting for an RM carrier that never shows up :P
I should try vanilla again though.

Personally I find that H3 is in some ways best used like a sploosh or inkbrush - up close it's a nearly guaranteed ohko. It's range is impressive but the shot speed is so slow that add in lag, and very very rarely can I ever land all 3 - it takes 2-3 shots to do the job. Being evasive is good :)

Out of the group I've hardly taken time to play with the Rapid Blasters. Yet I still have the most troubles with the E-Liter series. Every other charger I'm competent with and they felt utterly simple for me to use. But those E-Liters I can't quite grapple yet.

Meanwhile, after hearing about the Nozzlenoses so much since the latest patch, I think will start slowly edging them into my heavy usage group.
LOL you sound like me "everyone hates this weapon, I should main it!" :P

I think most of the discussion about them since last patch is just myself and Sun_one talking about it after that meteoric rise to S+ using it inspired me to add another loathed weapon to my mains list :) Also because it's seen as an even WORSE weapon after 2.7 relative to the others. But I'm still betting Sheldon's Picks 2 will include a new H3 :)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
@Award, Shun_One, I think Lonely Dolphin are the main/only ones I've seen speak of them. But as shooters go I tilt towards the Nozzlenoses because they're far more accurate compared to the others.

Been awhile since I've used it, and any other shooter or blaster. Though if I become nutty enough, I might create my first alt and play only Nozzlenoses in ranked to see how far/short the lulz take me.

Yet how are you defining high skill-floor? Some of the weapons on that list I look at and go, "Really? How did you get on there?"

Award

Dolphin uses L3, not H3 I believe. L3 sees some more play out there than H3 (which was often pointed out by the numbers to be objectively a terrible weapon :P But I always kinda liked it :) )

Which ones do you think don't have a high skill floor? Most of those have always been discussed in that context. High skill floor I'd define as a weapon that takes a LOT of skill and practice to get to the point of not getting instantly pwned just TRYING to use the thing in a match :)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Dolphin uses L3, not H3 I believe. L3 sees some more play out there than H3 (which was often pointed out by the numbers to be objectively a terrible weapon :p But I always kinda liked it :) )

Which ones do you think don't have a high skill floor? Most of those have always been discussed in that context. High skill floor I'd define as a weapon that takes a LOT of skill and practice to get to the point of not getting instantly pwned just TRYING to use the thing in a match :)
Personal opinion speaking: Hydra, Inkbrush, Squiffer and Sloshing Machine (sorry @Cuttleshock). I do believe they have a high-middle skill floor at most, but can't break the glass ceiling into a high-skill floor.

But take that with the brick of salt that I'm barely holding onto A- and lack a competitive squad. So my lack of high level play experience casts a blindspot.

And I understand everyone's experiences with x weapon is different. I for one still have trouble wielding Carbon Rollers and the Gal series. Whereas the four weapons I mentioned I easily picked up on. Figured out how they're used, figuring out how else they can be used, and will eventually figure out how I want to use them (personal style).

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Bamboozler, mostly in terms that thing has massive potential when you've reached it's skill floor. H3 isn't easy to learn but it has very little potential, i think of it more as a weapon for funsies and not much else.

rsnw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jamipami
Squiffer by a mile. I don't know about it, but it seems squiffer is getting outshadowed by bamboo. Squiffer isn't reliant on damage up, so you pretty much have to get the first fully charged shot onto your opponent, or you'll get splatted if the opponent has a little bit of skill. Reading the game and prediction are really important.

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Senior Squid
I'd say Squiffer because you're kind of screwed if you get outranged by say, a Heavy Splatling or a Jet Squelcher. They have to be quite a bit more aggressive than other chargers, so it's kind of dangerous to use one. Same goes for the Bamboozler.

But maybe it's just my bias talking. I'm absolutely atrocious with chargers, so what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom