• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Who else thinks that singleplayer mode will be fun to speedrun?

Sqvidley

Inkling
NNID
Frostee98
I completed the singleplayer in about 5 hours ink-luding getting all the scrolls. I have no doubt this'll make a great speedrunning resource.

Life

Senior Squid
Yeah. I'm estimating maybe two hours, maybe a little longer, for any% once that's decently optimized, slightly longer for All Scrolls. I had a pretty comparable clear time, but that included a huge chunk of time looking for a couple specific scrolls that eluded me (Octolings in Bluefin Depot being the main one that took forever to figure out). The average scroll only adds like 5-10 seconds to the level time once you find where it is, so the two runs shouldn't be that different..

I also like how nearly all of the super weapons were used in the game, either by you or by boss enemies.

Lots of interesting info about the setting. Plus the last scroll explains a lot, not that I'm spoiling (though why are you in a speedrunning thread if you don't want spoiled?) and the final boss reveal made me laugh.

I don't know if true 100% with all upgrades is worthwhile, though. Having gotten everything else in the game, I'm still a few thousand orbs short of every upgrade, so it seems a little pointless.

Ghoul02

Inkling
NNID
Ghoul02
Any% is already sub 1:30. A French Speedrunner got the game a week early and started doing attempts.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
speedrunning both single levels and the entire game should be a lot of fun to do for those interested in that.

Life

Senior Squid
Now start finding skips.
Hm. The game requires all an area's Zapfish to enter the area boss kettle, so skipping regular level kettles is probably pointless. We'd either be looking for ways to trick the game into letting us into the Boss kettles early, or tricking the game into thinking the boss is already cleared so we can use those things to reach the next level, or finding weird momentum glitches that could catapult us over the void between areas (potentially the most powerful if such a trick can be used to get high enough to reach the final boss, although that would be super tricky since the boss kettle moves around above Octo Valley).

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
Hm. The game requires all an area's Zapfish to enter the area boss kettle, so skipping regular level kettles is probably pointless. We'd either be looking for ways to trick the game into letting us into the Boss kettles early, or tricking the game into thinking the boss is already cleared so we can use those things to reach the next level, or finding weird momentum glitches that could catapult us over the void between areas (potentially the most powerful if such a trick can be used to get high enough to reach the final boss, although that would be super tricky since the boss kettle moves around above Octo Valley).
Moment glitches to skip areas ( at least in levels not sure about hub) does not work. I know since I tried to go back to an earlier part of the level that I was above and I died above that part of the stage. It seems that each area has its own death zones that are loaded in when you super jump into them. If anyone else can test around please do.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Yeah, looks like skipping entire levels probably won't happen (though when it comes to glitch hunting, never say never). But we can probably find some decent skips within levels. One thing I'm wondering about is the forced superjump whenever you damage a boss - I've tried to dismount as I hit them to avoid it, but no success.

Life

Senior Squid
Efficient boss strats are definitely a thing we should work out. As far as I can tell there aren't any totally random ones--I've gotten the three-cycle on most of them on my second attempt (I managed to not pick up the blueprints the first time I beat the first couple bosses, shhhhhh). Final boss seems pretty consistent too even though that's a longer fight.

Actually, other than ink spray, I'm not certain there's any randomness in the campaign. Am I wrong?

EDIT: Well, I think Octoling behavior might be random, but they're basically AI inklings so....

You can cut many of them off with a well-timed grenade if you can get the timing down since they usually have to super jump in.

Anyway, if a momentum glitch IS found, it'll probably be useful in those levels even if it doesn't just end up letting you skip levels.

EDIT2: You can jump down from the UFO to the lower Valley areas. So that might be meaningful. Hypothetical momentum/teleportation glitch -> get on top of UFO -> maybe do the last few levels to open UFO kettle -> final boss?

Last edited:

whizzer0

Inkling
NNID
whizzer
The Inkling Squid amiibo challenges make clear that these levels are designed for speedrunning - I wonder if the Kraken will be a viable option?

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
Speed running single player could prove to be pretty entertaining. Figuring out the fastest route with this game's mechanics will be a difficult task, but it'll be rewarding in the end. Weapons are a whole other story.

Life

Senior Squid
xLunairex got a 1:08. I only came in at the end but it looks like sub-hour will be no big deal one day.

EDIT: This is for New Game+, ie. he's just going through all the stages in order after already having beaten the game and getting every upgrade. New Game involves deleting save data, which is apparently kinda tedious.

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I was actually fooling around in the overworld looking for efficient routes and found a trick that could save a bit of time. From where stage 16 is, leap down to the cube to its left. Stand on the very edge and chuck a bomb at the propeller, it'll just barely reach to bring that block over. Probably a much better way of getting to 19 than going all the way around the top. Shame none of that will matter in NG+, seems like there's a lot in the overworld to miss out on.

You can create multiple profiles on your Wii U and they'll all get separate saves, so you can do resets there without losing your main save. It will be a hassle though. Given how committed Nintendo is to post-launch support, maybe we could try to let them know we could use some sort of Speedrun Mode that could make this more convenient?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom