• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Who is Splatoon Targeting? (A Marketing Graduate's Argument/Rant/Review)

In regards to Splatoon, generally speaking, I am more of a...

• Casual Gamer

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Hardcore Gamer

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Filthy Casual weighing in.

Honestly, I've been enjoying Splat2 even more than Splat1. This is in part due to the tickrate being lower (a major salt point for some, I know), which actually allows me to play on my less than optimal satellite connection (which is literally all we have in our area). I seldom disconnect, and the lag doesn't seem much worse than what it was in Splat1 on steady cable net.

It seems to me Nintendo has a generally casual approach to being social in their games. One example being the whole mii plaza thing on the 3ds. You'll notice that service is still going, whereas Miiverse and Miitomo, both much more hands-on, are now dead (or fixing to be dead). The new system in Splat2 is just centered on the art posts, which you can report if you want to, but you can't directly interact with other players (unless you have the means to voice chat). Where I'm going with this is that even if you can't talk to your teammates, it's still possible to watch what they're doing at the start of the match and throughout and act/react accordingly. You just have to think outside yourself here. Lowbies, whether alts or new players, aren't necessarily at a total disadvantage when they get stuck in a higher-level lobby, as long as they have teammates who are paying attention.

Hardcore for-glory squids can be easier to avoid than in Splat1 with the changes they've made to some of the more confined maps. Your average charger can't really dominate an entire map anymore. Camping curbstomps still do happen, and they still salt me up at least, but it's easy enough to just lobby-hop and find a bunch of players who aren't immediately going to go for that strategy.

Of course, this is all from a playing-turf-for-fun-and-cash perspective. If you jump into rank, you pretty much know what you're signing up for, imho.

OctagonalKahn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
otagonalkahn
I think there should be a better way for joining a non-ranked game, like servers in PC games. I'm talking about the chill servers where people just casual about. Right now casual players have to find a discord server (which should not even happen if Nintendo's voice chat wasn't awful). I think a way for people who want a casual experience should be able to find one within the game other than just turf war matchmaking or salmon run using server features.

Last edited:

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
I think there should be a better way for joining a non-ranked game, like servers in PC games. I'm talking about the chill servers where people just casual about. Right now casual players have to find a discord server (which should not even happen if Nintendo's voice chat wasn't awful). I think a way for people who want a casual experience should be able to find one within the game other than just turf war matchmaking or salmon run.
I completely agree with you 100% :) There are some most days I just wanna chill and play casually! Glad to know I'm not alone.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The ranked system is not random. I've been collecting data on it for 5 months, and there are consistent patterns. If you suck, you get cracks, and rank down. If you consistently win, especially against higher power teams, you get way more meter very quickly. Rank skips are in no way random- again, if you consistently win several games, you get a rank skip. That only happens to players who actually know what they are doing, and very much deserve to be in higher ranks.

Finally, I'm not sure that it would harm the truly competitive scene even if ranked was broken. The truly competitive circle of players play in private battles and tournaments, not in solo queue. The ranking system has no impact there, so it's not like it's ruining the competitive scene
"I'm sure the competitive scene wouldn't be harmed if a fundamental feature of this game is completely broken"

Dude plays Solo Queue. Nikey does, Sendou does, clanners regularly do. You don't always have the time or convenience to scrim, neither does the rest of your team. Additionally, private battles don't give you perks or bonuses so if you want to tinker with your sets you just have to play it on your own. Solo queue is an useful training ground for tourneys, allowing you to introduce you to a diverse amount of situations while also allowing you to practice with your weapons.
You can play League if you need rewards, but very few teams play that these days.

As @ThatOneGuy said, you merely need a 33% win rate to stay active. If you manage to reach S+ in the first place maintaining that 33% win rate is not hard. Nothing short of getting royally screwed over or having a really bad session will get you to derank. And even if you have a negative win ratio, your rank score will plummet, rewarding you with easier games, larger gauge fills while still allowing you to keep your rank. Getting to S+50 isn't a matter of skill, it's a matter of time just as with the rest of the rank. S1 S+99 players will get there faster, while everyone else will get there slower.

Last edited:

techton

Senior Squid
Getting to S+50 isn't a matter of skill, it's a matter of time just as with the rest of the rank. S1 S+99 players will get there faster, while everyone else will get there slower.
Losing in ranked is so discouraging, though. At least for me it is. Rarely I'll have an actual fun match that my team and I barely clutch out, sometimes I'll have a match where we absolutely crush the other team, or for the most part, I'll lose several matches in a row, but they're not close defeats that the other team barely won. They're miserable defeats, like, we can't even swim past our team's base kind of defeats.

I still have yet to get to S rank. Highest I've ever been is A-. The progression through C- to S+ is like going one step forward and two steps back from my personal experience.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I still have yet to get to S rank. Highest I've ever been is A-. The progression through C- to S+ is like going one step forward and two steps back from my personal experience.
If you think that's frustrating, you would have absolutely hated trying to get to S+ in Splatoon 1. Have you ever considered uploading gameplay footage? I'm curious as to what is causing you so much trouble.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Losing in ranked is so discouraging, though. At least for me it is. Rarely I'll have an actual fun match that my team and I barely clutch out, sometimes I'll have a match where we absolutely crush the other team, or for the most part, I'll lose several matches in a row, but they're not close defeats that the other team barely won. They're miserable defeats, like, we can't even swim past our team's base kind of defeats.

Just keep at it. Do what you can to learn from your losses and continue improving. Once you cross a certain threshold of skill, reaching S+ only becomes a matter of time. I realize that's really indistinct advice, but it's the truth.

techton

Senior Squid
If you think that's frustrating, you would have absolutely hated trying to get to S+ in Splatoon 1. Have you ever considered uploading gameplay footage? I'm curious as to what is causing you so much trouble.
Really no footage to show. It's just matchmaking treating me really bad. If you really want me to, what do you want to look at specifically? A crushing match that I described ealier?

I haven't even played ranked in... 4 weeks or something? I had just decided to hell with it. Wasn't having fun, so I abandoned ship. I don't know what's up with me and competitive matchmaking. I play other games competitively and matchmaking seems to screw me over almost as much as this.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
what do you want to look at specifically? A crushing match that I described ealier?
Problems that you are having that would lead to a crushing match. If you cannot past S, I think that is an indicator that you are not playing as well as you could; matchmaking in this game sucks, but it's not quite that consistently bad.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Plus, matchmaking in ranked is at least more sane than it is in turf

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
It's just matchmaking treating me really bad. If you really want me to, what do you want to look at specifically? IA crushing match that I described ealier?
Sure, while the game decides to professionally screw you over in a myriad of bad match ups, lag, teammates straight from level 10 turf lobbies, or extremely formidable foes, it doesn't happen all the time.

And the reason why solo queue is important is because it's a training ground for people to test themselves individually. As you (the individual player) are the only consistent factor when going into a solo queue match. Theoretically, you will always see new faces, play against multiple different people, weapons, and play styles. And it's up to you to learn how to play with them all.

Is there an annoying sniper on the enemy team who keeps killing you before you can move the objective? Try to flank them or approach them when they're distracted. Likewise, if you have a sniper like that on your team, try to watch their flanks, or force people out of hiding to get sniped. It's all about reading and predicting others actions to win games.

And since you don't have friends you can comfortably rely on, you can test your skill to see how consistent you are in solo. You can't just go through every match and say "Well my N-Zap friend will cover the turf for me" or rely on your allies as a crutch. Because most likely, you will have to play just as good, if not better than the rest of your team in solo.

But remember, this is splatoon 2. With a ranked system that doesn't actually work. Since the bar system is pretty forgiving (again 33% win rate to maintain the highest rank). Not to mention, you can climb S+ ranks at random speeds, making S+50 a simple dice roll, or an endless voyage.

This broken ranked system would not have existed if this game was for professional players. Especially after all the complaints it's received, Nintendo hasn't touched it (besides adding clam blitz two months ago) and they don't seem to be interested in actually changing the solo ranked system. Which doesn't help the game out competitively since it's such a great tool in practicing and proving yourself.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
As @ThatOneGuy said, you merely need a 33% win rate to stay active. If you manage to reach S+ in the first place maintaining that 33% win rate is not hard. Nothing short of getting royally screwed over or having a really bad session will get you to derank. And even if you have a negative win ratio, your rank score will plummet, rewarding you with easier games, larger gauge fills while still allowing you to keep your rank. Getting to S+50 isn't a matter of skill, it's a matter of time just as with the rest of the rank. S1 S+99 players will get there faster, while everyone else will get there slower.
That's doesn't represent my experience at all. I've deranked multiple times. I find it to be a lot of work to fill up the gauge, because I win slightly less than half my games on average. I get about 2/3 full, crack, and start over. Maybe next time I get 80% full and crack, and have a little bit left in the gauge afterwards. I still crack each meter three or four times before ranking up. And I have a substantial chance of ranking down in the process. Even when my "power" drops, the game pairs me with both opponents and allies of the same power, so it doesn't really help.

If you're a good player, the system makes it easy for you to rank up and not rank down. If you're a mediocre player, like I am, it's a constant balancing act. If I ever do make it to S+ by some fluke of luck, I'm pretty darn sure I'll derank almost immediately--after all, I'll be in the same pool as the S+50's at that point.

The thing that sucks is that the system is stable when you're losing. Win more than 50% of your games and you'll rank up. Lose more than 33% and you rank down. You remain stable when you're winning between 33% and 50% of your games, which isn't fun.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Elecmaw said:
Getting to S+50 isn't a matter of skill, it's a matter of time just as with the rest of the rank.
That's doesn't represent my experience at all.
I think @Elecmaw meant within a certain skill, and while ranked does weed out some players, I think many would argue the required level of skill needed to consistently level up is not high enough for a "competitive" game mode.

shudder

Senior Squid
The reality is the series has always been for casual gamers. When Nintendo was developing the first game I seriously doubt they ever thought it would take off with competitive and hardcore gamers. And if anything the sequel is geared even more towards casual gamers. The hardcore and competitive side of Splatoon has happened mostly in spite Nintendo and the devs, not because of them.

In terms of aim assist and stuff like that, I can't agree, there are casual gamers and then i guess there are really casual gamers that might want that but i think that's in the vast minority. Plus, how would you implement that in the game in a fair way, I don't want to play against someone using aim assist, for example.

Most of the changes in the sequel are geared towards casual gamers, the new ranking system is far more forgiving, allowing more players to rank up to S+ more quickly and much harder to de-rank. I think the new system causes more issues than it fixes though.

The sequel still has Splatfest which is still just Turf War the most casual mode in the game, nothing has changed there. This is the only "event" in either game.

The game's tick rate is lower, which isn't a nod towards gamers wanting a competitively fair game, it's a nod towards gamers with bad internet using wi-fi to play the game (usually at the expense of other players).

I think the initial revel with that esports stadium was just Nintendo acknowledging that crowd and to get them on board for the sequel. Nothing Nintendo has done since launch or with the game itself shows them going down that road or taking that part of the game seriously at all.

The game can be frustrating for any kind of gamer, casual or competitive, but I'm not really sure what Nintendo can do to make it more casual friendly that doesn't come at the expense of other players. If anything, it's not very hardcore friendly in a lot of ways.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
The hardcore and competitive side of Splatoon has happened mostly in spite Nintendo and the devs, not because of them.
Right, they never sponsored any tournaments, they didn't add LAN and Spectator modes, and they never adjusted the special weapons to encourage more team-based play. /s

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Right, they never sponsored any tournaments, they didn't add LAN and Spectator modes, and they never adjusted the special weapons to encourage more team-based play. /s
old man reaction.jpg

They sponsored Splatoon Showdown in 2016, the E3 invitational which was obviously to promote the game before launch, And the EGX 2017 tourney in Europe. That's it. A drop in the bucket compared to the number of events the community has generated. Casuals get use out of LAN and spectator modes as well, and special weapons continue to be as contentious as they were in the first game. Your sarcasm has failed.

Edit: Also, you know, everything ThatOneGuy said about ranked.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
That's doesn't represent my experience at all. I've deranked multiple times. I find it to be a lot of work to fill up the gauge, because I win slightly less than half my games on average. I get about 2/3 full, crack, and start over. Maybe next time I get 80% full and crack, and have a little bit left in the gauge afterwards. I still crack each meter three or four times before ranking up. And I have a substantial chance of ranking down in the process. Even when my "power" drops, the game pairs me with both opponents and allies of the same power, so it doesn't really help.

If you're a good player, the system makes it easy for you to rank up and not rank down. If you're a mediocre player, like I am, it's a constant balancing act. If I ever do make it to S+ by some fluke of luck, I'm pretty darn sure I'll derank almost immediately--after all, I'll be in the same pool as the S+50's at that point.

The thing that sucks is that the system is stable when you're losing. Win more than 50% of your games and you'll rank up. Lose more than 33% and you rank down. You remain stable when you're winning between 33% and 50% of your games, which isn't fun.
That's because in this game, if you aren't capable of ranking up you aren't in the same rank as what you're currently in that means you are technically several ranks below the one you are currently in. You shouldn't, be able to maintain your current rank if your win ratio is less than 50% in any other normal game, but this is Splatoon 2 we're talking about.
The reason this is bad is because:
You're not having a fun time because you're not in an environment where you feel like you're useful for your team, nor does it feel like you can learn at an adequate pace.
Your team isn't having any fun because they probably have to carry you sometimes.

The only reason, the only one i can think of is why this system exists is so people can say they are a much higher rank than they really are. The meme of "I'm really S+ i just keep getting held back by people who D/C or are bad" is real in this game unfortunately.

shudder

Senior Squid
Doesn't Nintendo also sponsor or did they create the Koshien tourney in Japan? Their involvement overall in the splatoon competitive scene seems to be really minimal, I believe they were also a late sponsor for the Genesis event in Cali that happened recently but I can't think of anything else.

The ranked system in Splatoon 2 is basically a nod towards casual gamers, I understand why they did it but like a lot of S+ player from the first game, I really don't like it. It's turned solo play at S+ into glorified TW matches half the time. Casual gamers make up the game's biggest base and so Nintendo is content with that direction it seems.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Doesn't Nintendo also sponsor or did they create the Koshien tourney in Japan? Their involvement overall in the splatoon competitive scene seems to be really minimal, I believe they were also a late sponsor for the Genesis event in Cali that happened recently but I can't think of anything else.

The ranked system in Splatoon 2 is basically a nod towards casual gamers, I understand why they did it but like a lot of S+ player from the first game, I really don't like it. It's turned solo play at S+ into glorified TW matches half the time. Casual gamers make up the game's biggest base and so Nintendo is content with that direction it seems.
You are correct, they're more active over there, but we're not in Japan and Nintendo is a Japanese company so I personally don't really find it relevant. They certainly don't do much to foster competitive play outside of their home country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom