• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why am I so bad at this game in S rank?

CM86

Pro Squid
You know, I always thought of myself as a pretty good Splatoon player, but when I get into S rank everything completely changes. Let me go off on a tangent to explain what I mean.

First off I always play solo queue ranked. Usually in A+ ranked, I can win about 75% of the time which is pretty darn good for not being able to communicate with teammates. Unfortunately, when I hit S rank, my winning percent is more like 25%. Its crazy. One time, I lost 7 S ranked matches in a row which knocked me back to A+ ranked. In those games I got knocked out 100 to zip 3 games in a row for splat zones. As soon as I get knocked back down in S rank, I immediately have better success when it comes to winning.

Sometimes I wonder if I am just that bad at this game. I have been leaning towards yes. Admittedly enough , I typically play turf war more because painting things is addicting for some reason, but I still do play ranked. Again, I do fine in A+ ranked, but then stink in S rank. I have dropped out of S rank about 10 times.

I don't know what do you guys think? Is S rank really that difficult in solo queue or maybe just really unlucky? If your curious what weapons I use, its mostly the E-liter 3k scope, custom hydra, and carbon roller in ranked.

G

girigiriHERO

Personally I didn't experience that big of a shock, but from what I've seen other people post, there is a rather large skill gap. I blazed through A, but I don't think I'll ever get out of S without a LOT of practice, same can go for you. Maybe A+ is your skill level, and sure you'll eventually rank up, but you're just not ready for S yet. A consistent A+ player is still someone who has a lot of skill, so don't let it bring you down, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be taking on S players no problem eventually.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
hey, you're not bad at this game! A+ is still very impressive, after all!

i think what you're experiencing is that you're too good for A+, but not quite good enough for S. it happens! you're basically like a rank in between those two, if that makes sense. i find that the B+ -> A- and A+ -> S jumps are the hardest in the game. don't forget, you're also gonna be going up against S rankers who are on the higher end of the spectrum, and with S, the spectrum is VERY big.

keep your chin up, you just need to break the S barrier. maybe take a day or two off Splatoon and come back, you might need a fresh mind to really tackle S.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I very much found the same issue between A+ and S - I first hit S at something like Level 35, but was clobbered in that rank until I fell back down. That first time, I really let it get to me and actually fell all the way to A-, after which I tried new weapons, played more carefully and climbed back to A+ without too much trouble. Subsequently, I became very capable of winning in A+ but invariably fell out of S; I definitely spent some time as an A+ Level 50 before the last time I achieved S and stayed there.

But getting to S can work wonders for your Ranked abilities, as you're really forced to play at your best in order to compete with the others around you. Theoretically, you have to be an average S-ranker to stay in S (because you have to win 50% of games), which means that you could be more S than A+ and still fall out of the higher rank a lot. If you easily climb out of A+, that does imply that you're getting close to the skill level required of an S-ranker, so I think that you're getting there.

Your weapons of choice are probably harder than a lot of choices (shooters, Dynamos, buckets, for example) to make the transition into S with, because rather than just doing the same thing better, you kind of need to develop S rank skills, as A rank skills just don't work on S-rankers a lot of the time. So for the Carbon, S-rankers are going to be far more aware of flankers, potential hiding spots, their ability to outrange you, etc., as they've got to contend with high S-ranking Carbons as well, so have learned to counter a lot of what they do. And in the case of perching weapons, again, S-rankers are much more capable of preventing you even from getting a chance to attack because they'll stay under cover, give you a wide berth, sneak up on you more effectively...

Another primary difficulty in S is the presence of S+-rankers - they're marked as S but they've just fallen down from the rank above and are going to charge right back up, meaning that, if you're unlucky enough to oppose one, you're going to have a really hard time winning just due to one player tearing through your team.

G

girigiriHERO

I very much found the same issue between A+ and S - I first hit S at something like Level 35, but was clobbered in that rank until I fell back down. That first time, I really let it get to me and actually fell all the way to A-, after which I tried new weapons, played more carefully and climbed back to A+ without too much trouble. Subsequently, I became very capable of winning in A+ but invariably fell out of S; I definitely spent some time as an A+ Level 50 before the last time I achieved S and stayed there.

But getting to S can work wonders for your Ranked abilities, as you're really forced to play at your best in order to compete with the others around you. Theoretically, you have to be an average S-ranker to stay in S (because you have to win 50% of games), which means that you could be more S than A+ and still fall out of the higher rank a lot. If you easily climb out of A+, that does imply that you're getting close to the skill level required of an S-ranker, so I think that you're getting there.

Your weapons of choice are probably harder than a lot of choices (shooters, Dynamos, buckets, for example) to make the transition into S with, because rather than just doing the same thing better, you kind of need to develop S rank skills, as A rank skills just don't work on S-rankers a lot of the time. So for the Carbon, S-rankers are going to be far more aware of flankers, potential hiding spots, their ability to outrange you, etc., as they've got to contend with high S-ranking Carbons as well, so have learned to counter a lot of what they do. And in the case of perching weapons, again, S-rankers are much more capable of preventing you even from getting a chance to attack because they'll stay under cover, give you a wide berth, sneak up on you more effectively...

Another primary difficulty in S is the presence of S+-rankers - they're marked as S but they've just fallen down from the rank above and are going to charge right back up, meaning that, if you're unlucky enough to oppose one, you're going to have a really hard time winning just due to one player tearing through your team.
Best thing about S though is I personally see consitent competency, meaning I never feel I had a cheap loss, it's usually very close and I can see the mistakes I made that I need to improve on next game.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
for me to stay in s as a carbon roller i avoid certain maps on certain game types due to my dependency on my teammates, i basically need some type of ink to move around in and if i get a bad gun composition i'm in trouble right off the start. So if i lose 2 games in a row due to this reason i just take a break until the next rotation.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Hey nothing bad about that, i was stuck in the same position not too long ago: A+ is easy times but the moment i reached S the only way i could win was by getting carried. I got stuck in the A+/S loop for a very long time, only recently did i snap out of it and went straight for S/S+. Really doesn't help that deranking form S takes twice as long as getting back there from A+...

I think the biggest problem is that because S gives 5 points instead of the usual 10, it's essentially 2 ranks rolled in one making it a big hurdle to get past it. All i can advise is to not die, make enemies die more than you do, watch the map a lot and make sure the objective is your top priority! You can do it!

G

girigiriHERO

Hey nothing bad about that, i was stuck in the same position not too long ago: A+ is easy times but the moment i reached S the only way i could win was by getting carried. I got stuck in the A+/S loop for a very long time, only recently did i snap out of it and went straight for S/S+. Really doesn't help that deranking form S takes twice as long as getting back there from A+...

I think the biggest problem is that because S gives 5 points instead of the usual 10, it's essentially 2 ranks rolled in one making it a big hurdle to get past it. All i can advise is to not die, make enemies die more than you do, watch the map a lot and make sure the objective is your top priority! You can do it!
I commend you for breezing through S, that's impressive (even if it took multiple tries getting back up there)

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
You want an example of someone bad at this game? Me. I had this game since launch and I'm stuck in the B+/ A- hellhole. Never been above that limit EVER. I've pretty much given up on this game thanks to my pitiful sense of self esteem. If I want to go beyond that I need to get carried. I know it's quite pathetic.

Last edited:
G

girigiriHERO

You want an example of someone bad at this game? Me. I had this game since launch and I'm stuck in the B+/ A- hellhole. Never been above that limit EVER. I've pretty much given up on this game thanks to my pitiful sense of self esteem. If I want to go beyond that I need to get carried. I know it's quite pathetic.
Doesn't mean you can't have fun in Turf Wars and still just play Ranked without really caring about it.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Doesn't mean you can't have fun in Turf Wars and still just play Ranked without really caring about it.
Hate to say it but it has. Playing Splatoon over the months trying to improve has made me develop a really bad temper. I always seem to become really hotheaded when I start losing consistently. I tried taking others advice by taking breaks for a while and coming back but it doesn't work. At first it was with just ranked and it slowly spread into TW. I stopped playing Splatoon not because it wasn't fun but because I'm worried I'm gonna really lose it one day and just hulk smash my gamepad. It's a damn shame.

Last edited:
G

girigiriHERO

Hate to say it but it has. Playing Splatoon over the months trying to improve has made me develop a really bad temper. I always seem to become really hotheaded when I start losing consistently. I tried taking others advice by taking breaks for a while and coming back but it doesn't work. At first it was with just ranked and it slowly spread into TW. I stopped playing Splatoon not because it wasn't fun but because I'm worried I'm gonna really lose it one day Iand just hulk smash my gamepad. It's a damn shame.
sounds like you just need a LONGER break. I'll make the assumption a break is a few days? I used to get really salty as well, and I don't play nearly as much as most people here (had it since release day, accumulated around 300 hours) and what I did is literally stopped playing it for over a week, now I play it maybe 5 hours a week max (when it used to easily be triple that, I'll play maybe 2 days a week, 2.5 hour sessions), usually with friends in TW or Squad Battles and I find I really don't care anymore if I lose or win, it's fun again. I'm only level 46 (if that's any indication of how little I've played) and in moderation Splatoon is great.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
sounds like you just need a LONGER break. I'll make the assumption a break is a few days? I used to get really salty as well, and I don't play nearly as much as most people here (had it since release day, accumulated around 300 hours) and what I did is literally stopped playing it for over a week, now I play it maybe 5 hours a week max (when it used to easily be triple that, I'll play maybe 2 days a week, 2.5 hour sessions), usually with friends in TW or Squad Battles and I find I really don't care anymore if I lose or win, it's fun again. I'm only level 46 (if that's any indication of how little I've played) and in moderation Splatoon is great.
I plan on playing tommorrow for the new weapons that are out. I'll take your advice and stop playing for a few days if things get hairy. Thanks for the advice dude. :)

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
If you're consistently getting salty and angry, I'd recommend making an alt and working on hilarious weapons you suck with.

That probably sounds like the worst advice ever but I swear if you're too addicted to Splatoon to give it a break but don't want to be angry, pick a weapon you know is going to be totally counter intuitive and start at C-.

I especially recommend it because since doing that, I've become a much better player. I main Carbon Roller and my whole thing is surprising people, getting fast kills, and swimming around like a lunatic.

On my alt, I use a squiffer or splat charger. If I really want to laugh at myself, I try Hydra splatling. I have learned so much about different play styles and in doing so, I think it's helped me know how to use my main. Know your enemy ;) It also helped me realise that in the future I want to git gud with Zink Mini cause I picked it up as a joke but then realised I love it!

IDK I could just be mad, but I think it's awesome. And I mean, last night @birdiebee and I both used squiffers on Moray squad A rank tower control and somehow won and it was the most exciting moment pretty much ever.

G

girigiriHERO

If you're consistently getting salty and angry, I'd recommend making an alt and working on hilarious weapons you suck with.

That probably sounds like the worst advice ever but I swear if you're too addicted to Splatoon to give it a break but don't want to be angry, pick a weapon you know is going to be totally counter intuitive and start at C-.

I especially recommend it because since doing that, I've become a much better player. I main Carbon Roller and my whole thing is surprising people, getting fast kills, and swimming around like a lunatic.

On my alt, I use a squiffer or splat charger. If I really want to laugh at myself, I try Hydra splatling. I have learned so much about different play styles and in doing so, I think it's helped me know how to use my main. Know your enemy ;) It also helped me realise that in the future I want to git gud with Zink Mini cause I picked it up as a joke but then realised I love it!

IDK I could just be mad, but I think it's awesome. And I mean, last night @birdiebee and I both used squiffers on Moray squad A rank tower control and somehow won and it was the most exciting moment pretty much ever.
I agree with trying new weapons, I thought I'd hate the .52 Gal and Mini Zink but after using them I found them quite fun. I don't play them regularily, but sometimes I will in TW for ****s and giggles. It's even better when I get over 10 kills with a weapon I know little to nothing about.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I agree with trying new weapons, I thought I'd hate the .52 Gal and Mini Zink but after using them I found them quite fun. I don't play them regularily, but sometimes I will in TW for ****s and giggles. It's even better when I get over 10 kills with a weapon I know little to nothing about.
Oh yeah totally. I get pretty excited when I even get a positive KO ratio when I use something like Hydra.

I love how with this game you can be really proficient with some weapons and then absolutely hopeless with others. Such a good challenge ^_^

CM86

Pro Squid
Oh yeah totally. I get pretty excited when I even get a positive KO ratio when I use something like Hydra.

I love how with this game you can be really proficient with some weapons and then absolutely hopeless with others. Such a good challenge ^_^
How dare you talk down on the hydra. The hydra is everything. The hydra is life. I eat hydra with a side of more hydra. Hail the hydra! By the way if you didn't catch on, I am a big fan of the hydra :)

On a side note, I have to agree about developing rage since I have owned this game. But its okay because I switch back and forth from Splatoon to Mario Maker so its all good.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Best thing about S though is I personally see consitent competency, meaning I never feel I had a cheap loss, it's usually very close and I can see the mistakes I made that I need to improve on next game.
this.

in S-rank people know their limits and don't press themselves into as many risky situations (where dropping down to A+ is like... why are you not watching your backs?). they know their range and when to back off and how best to increase their chance of survival in each encounter.

the only "hitch" i run into is getting matched against would-be S+ level players who can carry a mediocre team.

but anyway, because everyone is good with their weapons and understand the modes and stages, the main thing you learn in S rank is how to handle risk, essentially.

at first i dropped down to A+ a lot because it's hard to hit people with a squiffer when they aren't being stupid and live. once i learned how to handle my own risk while luring opponents to overextend theirs, i started hitting success and am often the most important member of my team in snagging the victory and holding the line against the other team's advances.

Last edited:
G

girigiriHERO

How dare you talk down on the hydra. The hydra is everything. The hydra is life. I eat hydra with a side of more hydra. Hail the hydra! By the way if you didn't catch on, I am a big fan of the hydra :)

On a side note, I have to agree about developing rage since I have owned this game. But its okay because I switch back and forth from Splatoon to Mario Maker so its all good.
Hydra is a beast if you're good, far more annoying than E-litres, therefore I fear you

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
I feel the same way about s+ rank.
I am a solid S player but when I get with s+ players I lose back to back and drop my rank instantly. Keep playing. You will get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom