why am i so bad

S3LKIE

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
no matter what i do i always seem to lose. i feel like ive only ever got to the rank im im by being carried by people who are better than me. no matter what weapon i play i do badly. even the ones i should be better at im still losing with and the ones ive played the most i dont enjoy. the new ones i just seem to be really bad at. im now in s rank and i still seem to be really bad. ive watched lods of videos asked for advice taken breaks. and i still seem to be awful.

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I get the feeling, and sometimes it is really hard to tell if you're stuck or just plateauing. If you have discord, try submitting a solo q match to the Squid School Discord server, they have a channel for free review of clips and games. That should give you some stuff to practice in games. If you don't want to do that, or you try and make no progress in a week, my best suggestion is to do something different. For me it was 100% story mode with a full Alterna map and beating every level with every weapon. For you it could be overfishing, or maxing out your tableturf. While you do that, pay attention to how much fun you're having. If you enjoy it, go back to solo q, and keep trying. If you aren't having fun, just put Splatoon down for a bit and play a different game for a while. It's ok to take extended breaks if it makes you less stressed. Last suggestion, there is an option to reset your Anarchy rank if you want, so if you feel overwhelmed or like you're being carried, use it to go back to a lower rank and see how you do. You got this dude, I believe in you.

Shayreep

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1285-8726-3991
Hey it happens to everyone. The learning curve in this game is insane, and in open or series the matchmaking is so bad youll get matched against seasoned players who have been playing for years. If youre just now in S rank im assuming youre newer at the game. I used to feel exactly like you did when i started, i lost every match, lagged behind my friends who had been player longer, felt like deadweight etc. it was so frustrating. All you can do is persevere and try to muscle thru it. Learn something new with every game, play with friends to keep enjoyment high. Its ok to be frustrated. Improvement doesnt come in a day but one day if you keep playing youll look back and be able to see how far youve come

Last edited:

NumberOneAries

Octo With Jazz
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4468-2079-9300
I used to feel the exact same way, and tbh one of the best ways to get better is to play new weapons, specifically weapons that carry out a different role than you normally play (I.e. if you play a short range slayer, try doing a mid range support or backline, and vice versa).

It can help in 2 main ways:
1. Observing the game through a different lenses helps you understand different aspects or the map, and may even Increase reaction time or awareness
2. You may just be playing in a play style that isn't for you. So experimenting may be more helpful for you.

Playing more weapons in general I'd always something I recommend, especially when u tunnel vision like I used to do. Awareness is very key in this game.

Driftwood

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I agree with a lot of the tips here though to be honest it's hard to give concrete advice without knowing more info about what specifically you are having trouble with. That said, I can't help but wonder if you are being too hard on yourself? I couple thoughts.

- First losing is part of the game. Don't forget that for most people, you should expect to lose roughly half your matches. Mathematically the average win/loss ratio for the entire player base has to be 50% (if you ignore DC's which complicate things a bit). Every loss is someone else's win after all and every win is someone else's loss. Now I'm not saying 50% should be your benchmark and you are failing if you are below it or something like that. It's just that it's important not to put too much weight into a loss and that you can even have several losses in row just randomly. It's important to keep that in mind because focusing too much on your losses can lead to the next point...

- For some people (including me), it's very easy to get tilted in this or any competitive game. When you get a loss that you thought would be a win, or getting a couple losses in a row, it's easy to get frustrated, angry or depressed, and that can have a real negative affect on your ability to play well, both in terms of ability to aim and move as well the ability to think clearly. A person can get a few losses (possibly just randomly) and start getting frustrated, leading to more losses, leading to more frustration in a vicious cycle. I know this because it's happened to me and it's lead to literal 20 game losing streaks. Sometimes you need to get a read on your own headspace and know you need to step away (which is can be a lot harder to do than it is to say). Also more generally we shouldn't be that hard on ourselves when we don't do well...

- ...because, it's not the end of the world if you aren't amazing at the game. It's fine to want to improve but not if you aren't having fun while doing so. It's ok to stay in S rank or even lower. Personally, often the times when I've made the most progress was when I was caring less about my rank. Also you might actually be improving and not realizing it because it's really hard to tell how good you actually *are* based on the information the game gives you. Since it's trying to match you with people of roughly the same skill level, getting better at the game won't necessarily lead to higher K/As or anything like that. It's easy to not see any progress you might be making if you only focus on things like wins.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Lord, I feel so painfully all of those things you are saying. I have also felt those exact things. I'll watch videos and do research and drills and elaborate warm up rituals and learn things and practice things and recon and do everything I feel like I reasonably can and I still go on those soul-crushingly long lose streaks or notice that in all the games I win I was clearly being carried by much stronger players. I try not to dwell on it too hard but my brain will still sometimes get into those self-pity cycles where I feel like I have never been good at games like this and was I just foolish to think that would ever change? That I might ever have the chance of playing on a level equal to my friends? Am I just kidding myself thinking I had it in me to make it any further than this?

I wish I had a cure-all answer, because that would mean I have solved the problem for myself too. I have not. But there are a couple things I'm doing that seem to keep me from falling into those spirals as often.

One of them is tracking how far I've come. This is also just part of my general process of improvement, but I have kept a list of things that I want to improve at, and choose one at a time to focus on. Then when I play a game, I don't focus on if I'm winning or losing as much as I focus on that one thing that I'm working on improving, and at the end of the game I judge myself based on how well I did with that thing instead of the actual outcome of the game. It gives you something more within your control to focus on 'winning' at. But here's something I found about that process: sometimes it works as expected, and sometimes it's really hard to focus on the thing you are trying to improve at, especially when there's so much else going on. Sometimes I'll play several games and get frustrated with my own inability to remember to focus on my own personal objective, and I will start feeling even worse. For that reason, I tend to switch focuses fairly frequently. The interesting thing I've noticed is that even focusing on something unsuccessfully for several games seems to still plant that focus in your mind. Without realizing it, more often than not when I go back over the list later, I will realize that I've gotten much better at something that I 'gave up on' focusing on. It's wild how totally invisible your own improvement can be to yourself sometimes.

Anyway, that required too much explanation, but the point is that having that list of things I've improved at has been the most valuable thing for pulling myself out of those pity-cycles, because it's the closest thing that I have to objective proof that I have the capacity to improve, that I've come a lot further than I realize, that it's not hopeless to keep trying.

The other thing that helps me is to try to channel the hopeless/defeated feelings into underdog energy. Yes, I am struggling with this, yes, I am behind compared to others, yes, it feels like I'm at a disadvantage, that maybe I'm not cut out for this and/or have no natural talent for this, and it's brutal and it's difficult and maybe against common sense but I am too stubborn to let that stop me. The more beaten down and hopeless I feel, the more resilience I have the opportunity to show. I'm trying anyway and that's far more than a lot of people do. (YMMV as different people have different things that inspire them, but this works most often for me)

Obviously, if you're no longer having fun, if being better at the game is not something that you want for yourself, if you're only playing for the sake of others in your social circle or any reason other than your own desires, there's absolutely no shame in deciding to put your time and energy elsewhere. Recognizing what you actually want and changing course accordingly is never a weakness. But... most people who don't actually want to get better at something don't care enough to feel upset about about their skill level, let alone go post on a forum about it. Not that it can't happen-- sometimes feeling upset about something really is a sign that you need to evaluate what it's worth it to you. But more often, feeling upset is just the natural result of caring very much about something, knowing that it can be better, and is currently not living up to that potential.. If you didn't have any expectation of your own success, you would not feel upset when you didn't meet it. Thus on some level, however subconscious, you know you have it in you to succeed. To put it in absolutely the cheesiest way possible, the power is already inside you. And if you want it enough to keep trying, you will eventually figure out how to use it.

Anyway, standard "what-works-for-me-may-not-necessarily-work-for-you" disclaimer applies, but there's also a lot of solid, practical, actionable advice in this thread (focus on something else for a while, try other weapons, get someone to review your matches, etc). I guess I focused mostly on the mental aspects since it's something I've had to think about a lot myself, hah. Good luck, and I hope you can find something that works for you.

S3LKIE

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm kind of busy atm so I haven't been able to reply to everyone's answers - but they've all been so so great! thanks for all of the support y'all - I'm currently feeling a little bit better about my gameplay and I've realised I was also playing a set of weapons and a role which worked to get me to about a rank but as people improve I've felt more out of my depth playing frontline so I've switched to anchoring. I feel happy about this move and ty so so much for all of your support! I'm gonna make it to x rank, I believe in myself! <33

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom