• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why are people against PC mouse + keyboard for Splatoon controls?

pooplooser

Full Squid
This is just a no-brainer. The people who deny that PC mouse would be helpful are the same people that
can't see the different between 30fps to 60fps, or who don't know how old a VGA cable is.
Anyways, using mouse + keyboard controls for playing Splatoon has been my dream for the longest time. I eventually got to try a Homebrew app called HID to VPAD (https://gbatemp.net/threads/hid-to-vpad.424127/) which allowed me to do just what I wanted... well kind of. It's full of bugs and little kinks that prevent good plays.
Usually on the Discord servers, I ask if anybody wants to try this out and I usually get a "eww" or a "no thanks!"
Like.. A lot of people.

Why? I see no actual reason.

Pros of using mouse and keyboard over gamepad:
- Less weight (Virtually none)
- More tactile response
- No need to press "Y" to readjust camera, you can do a 180 degree turn and be ready to fine aim.
- The gamepad, in rare scenarios where you are in the middle of holding the jump button/moving the stick in a direction, there is a higher chance that you would die if somebody was attacking you because more pressure is needed to activate Kraken when the stick is moved to the side. The keyboard you can just use reposition another finger to a nearby mapped key like Q (arguably quicker than letting off the thumb)
- No sweaty/slippery hands
- Attempts to make a pixel-perfect snipe through a terrain crack can be easier with a more "still" device.
- It's just better lol

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Currently, I think the problem that people have with the idea is that it's not available to every player. It is true that it will be easier for players to aim with a mouse and keyboard - especially for sniper users. However, this play style is NOT readily available to every player. A player needs to be able to hack in order to do so. Given those circumstances, I think a lot of players view it as an unfair advantage for a hacker. It's dishonest and gives the hacker an unfair advantage that not everyone has available.

I will admit that I have a problem with it too simply because it does feel like it gives you an unfair advantage and I find it to be dishonest. *shrugs*

pooplooser

Full Squid
If people admit it is better controls, I wonder why Nintendo didn't bother implementing native support for it.

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
I personally think that if you have a mouse and keyboard, others should have a mouse and keyboard. The gyroscopic controls are good, but not precise enough to compete with some mice.
The playing field should be equal if it was equal before mice and keyboards.
This is the glory of Splatoon.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well, part of the problem with keyboard and mouse controls in general is that obnoxious elitists like you force the idea down people's throats regardless of context or people's interest. Seriously, you open with the judgmental line:

This is just a no-brainer. The people who deny that PC mouse would be helpful are the same people that
can't see the different between 30fps to 60fps, or who don't know how old a VGA cable is.
Followed up with quotes like:
- It's just better lol
If people admit it is better controls, I wonder why Nintendo didn't bother implementing native support for it.
It kinda shows that like many keyboard and mouse fanatics, you're not here to actually ask what people think, you're just here to proselytize. You've been shopping that program around from the sounds of it, it'd be great if you could knock that off.

Speaking of that program, you said yourself why people disliked it.

It's full of bugs and little kinks that prevent good plays.
Shooter games of all stripes require precision and speed, who the heck is going to use a buggy and imprecise program just for the sake of having a keyboard and mouse? It's not going to improve your Splatoon gameplay, more likely it would make you play WORSE, so of COURSE people are dismissing it. Bah.

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
Shooter games of all stripes require precision and speed,
Yeah, if you map your game over to a keyboard and mouse, you need to think practically.
The game was never made for this format, so turning from squid to kid would require a button. You could assign it to the right mouse, but then what about subs?
My point is, you can't have a game designed for a three button on-hand game (R, ZR, ZL) designed for a mouse (L, R) and a keyboard (SPACE, <insert another key here>)

When you play how the game isn't supposed to, it can really slow things down, but Splatoon is fast.

pooplooser

Full Squid
Well, part of the problem with keyboard and mouse controls in general is that obnoxious elitists like you force the idea down people's throats regardless of context or people's interest. Seriously, you open with the judgmental line:
Ah snap well I got roasted :|

Perhaps I should have said: What if Nintendo programmed NATIVE support for mouse+keyboard controls?
Also I'd like to note most people I ask about PC mouse and keyboard with Splatoon I'm not putting HID to VPAD in context. Well, except for this forum post which seems to have been what happened.
-pooplooser

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
A quick googling reveals that most console games don't have native keyboard and mouse support. People have to resort to shoddy, unreliable hacks like this. As for why, that's incredibly simple: It's more work. Who's going to want to put in the extra man hours coding a completely different control scheme when consoles already have their own dedicated set-ups, and one that people may not even use? No one, that's who. And even if they did, the game's quality would likely suffer for it - development time and money aren't infinite, look at Mighty No. 9 for a case of a developer stretching themselves too thin.

There's also the problem of requiring players to buy additional peripherals that didn't come with the system. Games that require such things have NEVER done well historically.

To sum up, if no one else is really bothering with keyboard and mouse support for consoles, why should Nintendo?

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
To sum up, if no one else is really bothering with keyboard and mouse support for consoles, why should Nintendo?
Yeah, this is true, but if you use mouse and keyboards not only do they take up extra time for development by adding the controls, it would also change the development of the whole game.
The game of Splatoon is designed around the simplicity of the gamepad and how it's a controller not a keyboard.
Imagine the game is a PC game now. (I know PC master race or whatever :P) Would the game be the same if the developers kept it the way it is now? Or course not! The game would be completely different to satisfy the serious PC crowd.
Splatoon isn't made for that croud completely, and it could scare early or young players to this game.

Nintendo is casual, most of the time. :)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nintendo can be pretty intense, actually. They just happen to be intense and hardcore in ways that other companies are not. Mario's bonus challenges say hi.

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
It would be nice if Splatoon had some intense single-player maps *cough* NINTENDO *cough*

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Because mouse controls belong on a PC, not on a console. How many console players have a solid surface in arm's reach where they can plonk down the mouse? Besides, we're all used to the motion controls by now.

Nintendo did the best of both worlds, i think. While motion controls might not be as accurate as mouse controls, it's still way better than playing with sticks. I really dislike playing shooters with stick-controls because of how slow, imprecise and unresponsive it feels and I'm glad that doesn't have to be the case with Splatoon.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Yeah basically I agree with most of what has been said, but I kinda wanted to say two more things:

- If consoles go keyboards/mouse, then... They're not consoles anymore. Just build the game for a computer already.

- What about superjumps, inkstrikes, map, sound of the controller? Parts of the game are totally design for gamepad use, that's why you just can't go keyboard/mouse easily.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
- If consoles go keyboards/mouse, then... They're not consoles anymore.
Consoles are already personal computers with proprietary software, the Xbox and Playstation have picked up all the downsides of PC gaming without few, if any of the upsides. I'd prefer if Nintendo didn't get in on this horrible trend :p

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I feel that too many features would be removed if one was to play with keyboard and mouse.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Consoles are already personal computers with proprietary software, the Xbox and Playstation have picked up all the downsides of PC gaming without few, if any of the upsides. I'd prefer if Nintendo didn't get in on this horrible trend :p
*applauds* I can't even begin to communicate how much I agree with what you've said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom