• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why doesn't a direct hit kill sometimes?

nfoboy

Inkling
This is in regards to when you are hitting someone, and a kind of a ka-ching sounds, and the person appears to take no damage whatsoever.

If it were the fact that two weapons hit and cancel each other out, I'd buy it a bit, but it would have to be absolutely perfect, in timing and in type of weapon (carbon roller on carbon, octo on octo...etc.)

But it does not appear to be that, and I watched one guy get hit by three different weapons, and he "ka-chinged" to no damage from all three.

Just wondering what this sound means?

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Well I know in the case of the Rapid at least the damage dealt isn't enough to one-shot. Not sure about other blasters like Clash or Luna.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The sound does mean a direct hit, but Splatoon is an online game, so these kind of things are gonna happen.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Sounds to me like that person was being protected by the Ink Armor special. Was the sound very bright?

nfoboy

Inkling
It is indeed a very bright sound, just very upsetting when I flank a sprayer with a hit, and then get that sound, which then gives them time to re-orient and ruin my day... It it is ink armor, I don't seem to get that same sound or effect when getting nailed by other weapons..

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
It is indeed a very bright sound, just very upsetting when I flank a sprayer with a hit, and then get that sound, which then gives them time to re-orient and ruin my day... It it is ink armor, I don't seem to get that same sound or effect when getting nailed by other weapons..
Yeah, that does sound like hit dectection lag; was it happening for a specific match, or your whole session?

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I've been thinking a bit on this, and here's the things that come to mind.

The only weapons that produce a bright "ker-ching" sound on direct hits (assuming also full-charge if available) are blaster weapons, charger weapons (minus the bamboozler) and for some odd reason, the sloshing machine. From those weapons, not all of them have been created equal, or in other words, not all directs end in a splat. The weapons excluded from one-shot kills on a direct are the sloshing machine, rapid blaster (and rapid blaster pro), the clash blaster and arguably the bambi, but that one doesn't produce the sound to begin with.
Needless to say, if a player gets a direct hit from any of these, he should be either splatted or visibly covered in enemy ink to a certain extent. Not taking ANY damage is impossible, unless...

He's been protected by ink armor, which, when he gets directed by multiple weapons simultaneously, could potentially negate all the damage due to some natural lag plus the invincibility frames past the armor breaking (which again, produces a bright shattering shound).

Though there's one more distinctive sound to look out for, which is a fully charged shot from a charger-type weapon piercing through ink armor, as seen here:

It produces a "thump" kinda sound, with the ink armor shattering sound right after. Once any hit goes over the 100 damage threshold, the user takes any damage that surpassed the 100 damage...so if the user had >20 damage, casts ink-armor and gets directed by a fully charger E-Liter shot, he's a goner, lol.

Now idk how this helped any, to me the entire scenario sounds like a massive amount of lag or invincibility frames timed perfectly with low-fire-rate weapons, as any high-fire-rate weapon tends to melt ink armor away like nothing. If you've ever tried to directly approach an N-Zap with an ink-armored Dynamo, you know exactly what I'm talking about. (Hint: Don't try it.)
Oh, and something else I forgot to mention, which may be somewhat related to the probable lag-squissue: Sometimes you might get a splat using a Blaster or charger (you got the "ker-ching!" sound) but didn't get the "[player] was splatted" notice because a teammate splatted the same enemy at the same time. With this in mind, some people just walking out of multiple shots unharmed seems more likely, if very frustrating.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Well there are a few different hits from blasters and a few things this could be. One could be hit detection lag from a crappy connection. Two is that maybe they had ink armor. Three maybe you were using clash blaster or rapid blaster where a direct isn't a 1HKO. Four is what's called "sparking." This is when it seems like you would get a direct but you hit their feet and it does very minimal damage. I think on the rapid a spark does 15-20 damage as opposed to a 35 damage indirect or 85 damage direct. If you have a tendency to aim downward rather than straight ahead or a little up then you'll probably get more sparks than directs.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Ink Armor seems to be pretty bugged, it states it saves you from one hit, but in reality, it seems to take a hit, and while it is powering down, the armor is still in effect practically nullifying every shot for those few frames, THEN he/she/it starts taking damage.

Some explosions doesn't get the Ink Armor off either, it's still there, so it's not just A shot, it protects a certain amount of damage.

That's my take, cause otherwise, i have never encountered this myself.

Mr Hemulen

Inkster Jr.
Flammie, unless I am mistaken Ink armour is intended to take a certain amount of damage (30 points) not just a single shot.

Sometimes an explosion won't remove armour, particularly if the armoured person is running bomb defence (one sub is often enough to save armour) and they just take splash damage.

But there appears to be some invincibility frames once armour should technically have expired, so in real terms it appears to absorb more damage than the stated amount of damage IF the additional damage is dealt in those frames, eg. when shot by rapid firing weapons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom