• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why I feel that Splatoon will have a notably high skill ceiling

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
First I’d like to say I posted this elsewhere, so if you’ve seen it before, that was also me. I originally typed this up right after the first testfire, but I've changed some things since then.

It certainly feels like this is a game that will benefit a good player very much. This is just based on my roughly hour and a half of playing, but I was definitely blown away by the depth of the combat. If not a high skill ceiling, it'll at least have a good skill curve. Through this I may be making references to other FPS games, but I don’t mean to be bashing them. No game is perfect, I just feel Splatoon did a lot of things right that other shooters do wrong. I’m not saying this game will be super competitive eSports, but if you’re a great player you won’t find yourself doing just slightly better than people who are only “okay”.

First of all, going against multiple players seemed to be handled very well. By quickly and skillfully moving in and out of squid mode, you could usually not get the fire of two enemies at once. In other shooters, two enemies firing at you at once is pretty much a death sentence, unless you’re near enough to cover. In an odd sense, playing Splatoon is kind of like having cover constantly. The way damage is handled seemed to benefit this too. Health wasn't so low that an enemy hitting you a bit was a guaranteed death, and the regen was fast enough that drawing out a battle could give you the time to heal fully. A combination of these things make a 2 v 1 fight a lot more fair than it would in most shooter games. I feel like a skilled player could win 2 v 1 fights pretty consistently, and I can't say that about most shooter games. I don’t mean to brag, but I went 22 – 1 on one of my matches. That’s an average of over 7 kills per minute, so clearly I was in a lot of 2v1 battles which I made it out of. Also it helps in the sense that you usually wont be in trouble if you won a battle and second opponent appears shortly after. That can be an issue in a lot of games and isn't really a positive thing since it isn't really a fair fight when your health is low.

Second, the ink in general added a new layer to the combat. Turning into squidmode is basically sprinting, going invisible, and becoming a smaller target all at once.

For one thing, the stealth feature. A lot of games have a stealth feature, sure, but Splatoon's seemed really unique in a good way. In most games, the ability to go stealthy is an option, but in Splatoon all characters have it, which adds more to the combat. Also in most games, you aren't all that stealthy (Such as the light around you bending weird). Because of that, most game's stealth doesn't really allow you to stand in plain sight like Splatoon does. And for that matter, the gameplay changes when you enter squid mode. You need to move to a place that will give you a tactical advantage, while keeping in mind your opponent is going to be firing at places they expect you to be. While the stealth seems more power than it is in other games, it comes with a higher risk. When you're hit in stealth mode, you're not just knocked out of it, you're also now on enemy ink, meaning you need to walk slow. And besides the in combat uses, ink allows you to "camp" pretty much anywhere you want. Despite "camp" having a really negative connotation in these kinds of games, I think it makes for some interesting tactics in Splatoon, and doesn't share a lot of the negatives of other games because the combat is usually fairly close range. Something I did in the demo was making trails of my ink that would just dead end, and then wait in the ink somewhere not too far from where it bordered into the other players ink, surprising them as soon as they got into range.
Second and a half, sprinting in ink adds an interesting layer too. If you're being an approached by an enemy, you have the option to try to cut them off. Assaulting an enemy while walking on their ink isn't at all a viable way of fighting, so their options are to either to clear a path or attack from a distance. Clearing a path will delay them, and attacking from a distance could put them at a pretty big disadvantage considering a lot of the weapons seem pretty low accuracy. This becomes even more of a factor when you consider the person on the offensive is more likely to have a low accuracy/low range weapon then someone playing defensively, who likely has a charger.

Finally, movement in general seems like it benefits those who are more skilled. I thought this during the first testfire, before we were talking about techs, but I definitely noticed a difference in people’s movement speeds. Getting to an area first and proper maneuvering during combat can easily sway the battle in your favor.

Shooter games in general tend to all be pretty similar. Not to bash them, but I feel like it's once in a blue moon that we see a shooter with uniqueness in the gameplay like this. The worst offenders suffer from basically being a glorified version of hide and seek, in which seeing your enemy first pretty much guarantees you getting the kill. And in a lot of them, there aren't really as many decisions to be made in combat, the ideal tactic is to aim and shoot. In some shooter games, I can literally just rush enemies the entire match and wind up with the most kills (Often most deaths too, but still). Splatoon felt nothing like that, it felt like the decisions I made were a lot more important than anything else. I feel like this game has a very high skill ceiling, and I say that without even seeing it with the clothing and it’s abilities.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Generally shooters do have high skill ceilings, even in games like Call of Duty surprisingly. :P

Zebkeet

Inkling
I feel like this game is going to be quite the decision based game. For example, whether or not you have made the decision to take the enemy by surprise, or if you decide to wait them out. I know basically every competitive game is like this, but (and I'm not going to sugarcoat anything), I feel like not many games in the shooter genre have this level of depth or this many variables in them. I can't think of a single shooter that has anything close to the ink mechanics in this game (maybe because I don't play that many shooters in general, lol). And that is why I feel that the decisions are going to be all the more important.

Last edited:

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
splatoon is a game we've never seen before; the objective of covering the map in ink (either completely or in select locations like splat zones or tower control)sets it apart wholly from any other shooter, and there's a lot of ways you can get creative with it. definitely going to have a high skill ceiling and high knowledge ceiling, if you could call it that. the complex strategies and fundamental skill at the game will increase exponentially the higher up the ladder you climb.

Snowboar

Full Squid
NNID
Snowboar
Splatoon is going to require high skill on more than just "shooting" skills, it's going to require Team and Solo strategy and decision making, high aiming skills, time management and high controller mastery. Mastering these things alone will make the skill ceiling almost impossible to reach.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the unique premise itself gives it a high skill ceiling. And the nature of covering things also provides lots of options.

There all sorts of ways we could find that makes it all easier, more effective as well. Then you are right, there are also things like turing invisible and the squid form in general.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I have basicly noticed that any game with a unique movement system tends to have a higher skill ceiling. Although, I definitely need to focus more on my movement. My shooting/aiming skills are there for the shooter weapons, but I wasn't utilizing the movement mechanics enough. I could get to places a lot faster than people, but combat wise, I wasn't using it enough. I need to be a more slippery Squid.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
I have basicly noticed that any game with a unique movement system tends to have a higher skill ceiling. Although, I definitely need to focus more on my movement. My shooting/aiming skills are there for the shooter weapons, but I wasn't utilizing the movement mechanics enough. I could get to places a lot faster than people, but combat wise, I wasn't using it enough. I need to be a more slippery Squid.
I feel the same way, mostly. Unique forms of movement, and various unique abilities that every player has tend to make games more interesting or dynamic to me.

I think another reason splatoon feels so good is because the various mechanics and systems and more discrete and natural than most other popular shooters. For instance, the OP mentioned the stealth options. What's interesting about Splatoon stealth options is that "stealth mode" doesn't actually exist. Stealth is not a separate mode or ability like it would be in other games. It is simply a side effect of being in squid form in your own paint. This is discrete because you are either in your own ink or you are not, and there is no confusion about which parts of the map are under enemy control, therefore there is no confusion about where an enemy could be hiding. And it is natural because all it requires of you is to use the main mechanic you've been using (transforming into a squid). Because other shooters are generally realistic looking (or at least busier than this game), they can't be discrete. You can't give the player true invisibility in Call of Duty or Halo, because then players would feel it was unbalanced, due to the variety in color and terrain to be far too varied and realistic. So they have to balance it by giving you that half-invisible light bend (which is basically like not being stealthy at all). Splatoon's visual clarity and clever use of mechanics solve all those issues, making stealth a natural viable option, despite not actually being a concrete mechanic or system.

The way weapons are handled is also very discrete. In pretty much every Call of Duty game I've played, I basically stick with a basic assault rifle and use the iron sights. This is because I don't really feel like having any kind of scope helps me out. Because of the way the game works, I can get a headshot from very far away just as well with my iron sights as I could with a scope, or even with a different type of gun, like a sniper. This is indiscrete. The assault rifle can do the job of the sniper, the shotgun can do the job of the assault rifle, and so on. The properties of individual guns just sin't as easy to nail down. With splatoon, that doesn't seem to be the case. The charger will never be able to do what the Splattershot does, and the Splattershot will never be able to do what the Charger does. Every weapon type has a well-defined range, kill potential, and ink spread, giving everything it's unique purpose. As an example: if you see someone shooting from around a corner, and you cannot see the player, but can only see the ink spray, you can immediately tell what type of weapon they're using, and therefore, you can have an idea of how to approach the situation. Unlike many other shooters, where what you see from around the corner is too fast or too vague (with some exceptions of course, snipers are often quite obvious). To add onto this, all of splatoon's weapons seem to be projectile based, rather than hitscan based. Any game with projectile-based weapons gets a plus in my book. I feel it offers more interplay between players, as you can get into actual fights. This is something that I feel most shooters fail at. And it's not really their fault. Guns are meant to discourage interplay. They're meant to kill from afar without engaging the enemy, unlike a sword. This piece does a better job explaining it than I can. http://critical-gaming.com/blog/2008/7/5/interplaygunplay.html But in splatoon, the guns just un-gunny enough to allow for a level of interplay that I find intriguing.

So far, what I'm seeing with splatoon is that it's design decisions make it more discrete, natural, and interplay heavy than other shooters I've played. And all of those things just make a game better to me. And because of them, I can see the skill ceiling for Splatoon being quite high, since so far it favors player skill over anything else, and it appears to have that easy to learn difficult to master quality of many great games before it.

Last edited:

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
Great points everyone. One thing I'd like to add is that this game discourages camping because if you're hiding waiting around, you aren't spreading ink around. Not to say that there aren't times when it's called for, but very generally speaking, if you're not inking you're not helping your team.

I also like how, since everyone is a stealth character, melee is strong in a genre where traditionally they aren't. Another fact that contributes to this is the game objective. People can be so tunnel visioned on inking what's in front of them, it buffs melee players since their spread isn't telegraphed like a ranged player's. Put those together and you get a game that rewards sneaky melee but also observant ranged.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
Great points everyone. One thing I'd like to add is that this game discourages camping because if you're hiding waiting around, you aren't spreading ink around. Not to say that there aren't times when it's called for, but very generally speaking, if you're not inking you're not helping your team.
Honestly I kind of disagree with this. Camping can be discouraged or not depending on the map. On the rig for example, the largest single portion of the map only has one entrance. This also looks to be true for the unnamed construction site map. Having a large area covered and camping the entrance honestly seems to be the ideal strategy on those maps. Even if there isn't an area sectioned off like that, just holding an area can be more beneficial to your team than leaving it, grabbing a bit of new land, but losing the area you could have tried holding. Remember it isn't about how much ground you covered throughout the whole match, it's about how much you have left when it ends.
I think a lot of what's "ideal" varies greatly from map to map, both in tactics and weapon choice. Both the demo maps seemed fairly corridor based, with just a handful of open areas. During the demo I had the thought "Man, chargers seem useless", but looking at the pictures out there of the other maps, I see some maps that I can imagine chargers doing very well. The skate park for example looks like chargers could have an advantage, and I can't imagine any other weapon type will even stand a chance against a charger on camp triggerfish. Kind of makes me disappointe the map is decided after we choose our weapons, unless the full game is somehow different from the demo in that regard.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
Honestly I kind of disagree with this. Camping can be discouraged or not depending on the map. On the rig for example, the largest single portion of the map only has one entrance. This also looks to be true for the unnamed construction site map. Having a large area covered and camping the entrance honestly seems to be the ideal strategy on those maps. Even if there isn't an area sectioned off like that, just holding an area can be more beneficial to your team than leaving it, grabbing a bit of new land, but losing the area you could have tried holding. Remember it isn't about how much ground you covered throughout the whole match, it's about how much you have left when it ends.
"Camping" and "Holding a Position" aren't the same thing, though. This game will definitely encourage holding position, like the northern portion of the Rig. That's because in this game you're claiming an area as your territory, and therefore you need to defend your territory. In other common shooters, people generally play something like team deathmatch. And in that mode, there are no positions to hold. Territory isn't important, it's just "go get kills", so it encourages the kind of camping that people don't like. I think the reason people don't like that kind of camping is because it feels like the camper isn't actually playing the game. How do I explain it... Ok so, take Call of Duty. If you're in team deathmatch and every single person is camping, then no one is doing anything, and no one gets any kills and the match doesn't progress. So basically, the nature of the game means that players are obligated to put themselves into harms way for the match to progress. So campers, despite using a smart strategy, are seen as people actively fighting against the progression of the match to their own favor. Which makes people see it as dishonorable, cheap, yadayada.

Due to the layout of splatoon's maps, the fact that kills don't get wins, and the visual clarity of which ink is where, "camping" in the traditional sense probably won't be very viable, whereas holding territory will be almost mandatory at high level play (probably).

So basically... You're both right. : )

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
I think a lot of what's "ideal" varies greatly from map to map, both in tactics and weapon choice. Both the demo maps seemed fairly corridor based, with just a handful of open areas. During the demo I had the thought "Man, chargers seem useless", but looking at the pictures out there of the other maps, I see some maps that I can imagine chargers doing very well. The skate park for example looks like chargers could have an advantage, and I can't imagine any other weapon type will even stand a chance against a charger on camp triggerfish. Kind of makes me disappointe the map is decided after we choose our weapons, unless the full game is somehow different from the demo in that regard.
Those are valid points and great examples. Though, I think if you read what you quoted again, I didn't say in all situations camping is bad. Just very generally speaking, I think that's true. Maybe the disconnect is that I also define camping as just waiting around for someone to come around so you can ambush them. Can be effective in other FPS games, but not so much here.

Still, holding a position can be vital. Also, like you said, it would depend on which area is more likely to be revisited by the enemy team. And that, also like you said, will be very map dependent. I think we actually agree, but differ because of what we call camping.

EDIT: Gsnap ninja'd :D

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Great analysis of the game. I do see the game having a notably high skill ceiling myself. Considering the game is quite 'unique' from its peers, I'm exited to see how the competitive meta of the game is going to evolve in a few months after launch.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
In the full game, we will know the map rotations, which are 2 maps at a time, every 4 hours. So players will know before hand what kind of weapons they should bring into a match.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I honestly don't see the skill ceiling get particularly high. This seems to be a game that rewards good decisions, as opposed to clutch skill.
Good decisions do make for a high skill ceiling as well. A great example of that would be League of Legends.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I agree with Kayeka. Barring the discovery of some crazy techniques, which I don't think will be likely, I don't think it will have a high skill ceiling at all. Instead, I expect there to be a depth of strategy, but I wouldn't consider that a skill ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom