Why is turf war essentially region locked still?

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
I can play with a friend in Japan or anywhere else in the world but not random people, unless it's ranked or league battles. Does anyone I know if Nintendo plans to let us play with other players from other regions? More regions means more players and less waiting. I don't like sitting around for 2-5 minutes only to be timed out. This isn't all the time but enough where I see the difference when I got to play with others.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
I would rather wait longer and have a more stable connection than getting into matches quicker, only to have players lagging around all the time. This game has a worse tick rate than the first game, and it will be much more obvious if the matchmaker doesn't care who it pairs you up against.

It was pretty bad in Splatoon 1, and what made me quit the game to begin with. I do not need a repeat of that.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Wait, "still"? I never noticed any sort of region locking on Turf War in the first game. Granted, it might have been happening in this game, but I just never noticed. I know for a fact that I saw random Japanese players in the first game, though.

REYES

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4119-9070-0340
I played mostly Turf War in the first game and always got connected with japanese players. Many times my matches consisted of all japanese and like one or two other players from US/EU. So I don't think it was region locked in the first game. As for lagging, I never experienced lag in Splatoon and have seen only one instance of lag in Splatoon 2. If it is region locked then that kinda sucks, but as long as I'm getting matches I'm happy.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
"Region locked" makes it sound more restricted than it really is. What the game seems to do is try to find players who are relatively close to you, to minimize latency. This will usually cause you to be matched up with people from the same region, but if there aren't enough of those players to fill a room, you may see players from other regions as well. (For instance, I've heard that players in Australia still run into Japanese players on a regular basis, since they're not too far from each other.)

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
Wait, "still"? I never noticed any sort of region locking on Turf War in the first game. Granted, it might have been happening in this game, but I just never noticed. I know for a fact that I saw random Japanese players in the first game, though.
No I mean 'still' as in Splatoon 2. In the first game it was regional too but after a bit it became worldwide. I just think it's lasting longer but I could be thinking the regional thing was shorter than it was in Splatoon 1.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
No I mean 'still' as in Splatoon 2. In the first game it was regional too but after a bit it became worldwide. I just think it's lasting longer but I could be thinking the regional thing was shorter than it was in Splatoon 1.
It probably went more world wide as more and more players stopped playing.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Regional play was one of my requests from the first Splatoon. Now i regret ever saying that, laffo.

Global was way better in hindsight. People will a bad internet connection will always lag, no matter if they come from the same continent or not. I'd imagine the lack of playerbase will become a problem in the future.

REYES

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4119-9070-0340
"Region locked" makes it sound more restricted than it really is. What the game seems to do is try to find players who are relatively close to you, to minimize latency. This will usually cause you to be matched up with people from the same region, but if there aren't enough of those players to fill a room, you may see players from other regions as well. (For instance, I've heard that players in Australia still run into Japanese players on a regular basis, since they're not too far from each other.)
This I did not know, makes me appreciate the system a lot more now.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
Ah well I didn't know how else to phrase it. Eh, you can't tell who is actually Japanese though, unless you are Japanese yourself or know the language in some cases. For instance I'll see a 'Japanese' name but it's a made up word or they spelled it incorrectly. It's very unlikely that they are actually Japanese. Idk about Australia but I'm sure it is the case there too unless someone has an actual Japanese friend, it's just someone using the characters (in turf war).

And what's the point of local if in higher ranked and league battles it's Japanese people galore lol. The wait is much shorter too, there virtually is none.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
Regional play was one of my requests from the first Splatoon. Now i regret ever saying that, laffo.

Global was way better in hindsight. People will a bad internet connection will always lag, no matter if they come from the same continent or not. I'd imagine the lack of playerbase will become a problem in the future.
lol I used to feel that way too, I was tired of e-liter try hard S+ people who 95% of the time were Japanese (for me personally). But the wait was short and I got better as a player.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
I would rather wait longer and have a more stable connection than getting into matches quicker, only to have players lagging around all the time. This game has a worse tick rate than the first game, and it will be much more obvious if the matchmaker doesn't care who it pairs you up against.

It was pretty bad in Splatoon 1, and what made me quit the game to begin with. I do not need a repeat of that.
Mmmm people still lag tho (laggers will be laggers anywhere) and for me I didn't really have any Japanese players lag, 90% of the time they were people with English names.

Also I personally don't experience lag in ranked, which I already said has Japanese people, especially league battles...there were tons and no lag.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
Mmmm people still lag tho (laggers will be laggers anywhere) and for me I didn't really have any Japanese players lag, 90% of the time they were people with English names.

Also I personally don't experience lag in ranked, which I already said has Japanese people, especially league battles...there were tons and no lag.
I live in NA, and whenever I encountered Japanese players, it was always a bad time in the first game, because I was frequently put into lobbies where they would be the host. In this game, I don't get that problem, and I would prefer to keep it that way, since it is no fun to play a match where the whole lobby is teleporting around.

Yeah, crappy connections are going to happen no matter what, but the point is to minimize them, instead of just accept them for the sake of faster matchmaking. Quality over quantity.

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Ping. Really just connection is the reason.

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
Spot-on explanation of how the system works, I have very little to append to this.

I will note that you confused several people by mixing up the cause and effect here--it matches you to local players as an effect of trying to reduce lag, not the other way around. You also missed the explanation of why this applies to turf and not ranked. I think most of the casual splatoon 2 audience in the U.S. hasn't made it to ranked yet, or they prefer to stick in turf, making it unnecessary to grab from the japanese pool. This is contrasted with higher ranks in ranked play, as very few people have made it to S+.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
Ping. Really just connection is the reason.
Ok people must have bad internet then because I rarely suffered or it's probably Nintendo's network. Honestly the worst was in ranked and there's still Japanese people there and for me that's the mode that counts the most lol. So it's useless.
I wouldn't be so confused if the US had a larger player base :')

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
Spot-on explanation of how the system works, I have very little to append to this.

I will note that you confused several people by mixing up the cause and effect here--it matches you to local players as an effect of trying to reduce lag, not the other way around. You also missed the explanation of why this applies to turf and not ranked. I think most of the casual splatoon 2 audience in the U.S. hasn't made it to ranked yet, or they prefer to stick in turf, making it unnecessary to grab from the japanese pool. This is contrasted with higher ranks in ranked play, as very few people have made it to S+.
I don't get this explanation or agree at all. How does pulling 'locally' reduce lag. Japan is not local to Australia, especially when Japan has the most players. Why would they ever need Australian players? Australia can also pull from closer countries.

This theory seems off to me. And a 5 minute wait makes me feel like it's necessary. Granted this mostly happens when I play at like 2am but I should be able to play a video game I paid for anytime I want with relatively the same quality every time. 5 min and everyone disconnects when we needed 1-2 more people is ridiculous.

Sorry if I seem daft, I seriously just want to understand why they might have done this when people are still disconnecting as much as the first game (or rage quitting maybe)

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
Ok people must have bad internet then because I rarely suffered or it's probably Nintendo's network. Honestly the worst was in ranked and there's still Japanese people there and for me that's the mode that counts the most lol. So it's useless.
I wouldn't be so confused if the US had a larger player base :')
What region are you even playing from anyways?

I don't get this explanation or agree at all. How does pulling 'locally' reduce lag. Japan is not local to Australia, especially when Japan has the most players. Why would they ever need Australian players? Australia can also pull from closer countries.

This theory seems off to me. And a 5 minute wait makes me feel like it's necessary. Granted this mostly happens when I play at like 2am but I should be able to play a video game I paid for anytime I want with relatively the same quality every time. 5 min and everyone disconnects when we needed 1-2 more people is ridiculous.

Sorry if I seem daft, I seriously just want to understand why they might have done this when people are still disconnecting as much as the first game (or rage quitting maybe)
I mean, if you are playing at 2 am in the morning, of course it might be difficult to find a match. Splatoon isn't pulling in numbers like say, Overwatch, which allows you to effectively play the game whenever with no major issues. Splatoon 2 is on the Switch, which is a brand new console that came out months ago. Not enough people own one, and not enough people own Splatoon 2.

Also, pro tip, use the Edit button to edit your posts instead of double posting. It also seems that you are responding to people one at a time, so next time, select the Quote button, and keep doing that on every post you want to respond to. Then click on Insert Quote, and they will all be there. You can then format your post to make it so that you are responding to each and every quote.

Last edited:

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
I live in NA, and whenever I encountered Japanese players, it was always a bad time in the first game, because I was frequently put into lobbies where they would be the host. In this game, I don't get that problem, and I would prefer to keep it that way, since it is no fun to play a match where the whole lobby is teleporting around.

Yeah, crappy connections are going to happen no matter what, but the point is to minimize them, instead of just accept them for the sake of faster matchmaking. Quality over quantity.
Meh, it would be nice if they gave people an option. There are more S+4 and up Japanese players and it be nice to play with some outside of league battles or when my friend joins.

So my quality gripe is about players, I guess in my region many players haven't even hit level 30 yet or S+ rank. Oh well, I guess many people must have experienced lag or Nintendo wouldn't have done this. Though I still think it's silly that you have to play Japanese players in the mode where you actually receive a rank vs the casual mode...

Oh I see, figured people wouldn't see the edit. I live in DC but I'm back home in CA for the summer.
And I know it's new so I'd like to play before I have to go back to work! I should be able to play at 2am, easily. If adding other players later at night solves that I wish they'd do it.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
Meh, it would be nice if they gave people an option. There are more S+4 and up Japanese players and it be nice to play with some outside of league battles or when my friend joins.

So my quality gripe is about players, I guess in my region many players haven't even hit level 30 yet or S+ rank. Oh well, I guess many people must have experienced lag or Nintendo wouldn't have done this. Though I still think it's silly that you have to play Japanese players in the mode where you actually receive a rank vs the casual mode...

Oh I see, figured people wouldn't see the edit. I live in DC but I'm back home in CA for the summer.
And I know it's new so I'd like to play before I have to go back to work! I should be able to play at 2am, easily. If adding other players later at night solves that I wish they'd do it.
More players will come in due time, especially since the holidays are approaching. These are the growing pains of a new console that we have to go through, as well as the growing pains of a new game. Give people time to rank up to the S ranks.

As for the edit thing, so long as your post was the most recent one, people will most likely end up seeing it, since they receive an alert whenever someone posts in a thread they are watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom