Why isn't fashion a choice?

shane3x

Full Squid
Splatoon has a decent amount of clothing variation but it isn't huge by any means. Due to the fact main abilities are locked to specific items and cannot be re-rolled you are essentially forced to wear gear you might not like the look of and make have no cohesion with your overall style because that ability may benefit you greatly.

The brand the gear is also affects the chances of gaining certain sub abilities over others. I don't mind pure RNG or pure grinding as long as there is some sort of quantifiable method of getting what I want as long as its balanced of course. However grinding for 30k for the chance to maybe get the skills I want is a bit silly. I dont mind having to play for X hours and have X gold if by the end of it I can get the skills I want but you dont even get that, just a chance you might get what you need.

You can wear whatever you want of course, nothing stopping you if having skills you dont want and are unoptimised is your thing.

tl;dr - I want to be able to wear the clothes I think look cool without having to miss out on skills I want

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
I know what you mean...like the Dark Urban Gilet for example...it's looking great but the main ability Cold-Blooded is basically useless ,so you kinda waste the main slot for a good ability.
But still,with certain combinations you still can look cool.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I know what you mean...like the Dark Urban Gilet for example...it's looking great but the main ability Cold-Blooded is basically useless ,so you kinda waste the main slot for a good ability.
But still,with certain combinations you still can look cool.
Whats wrong with you
Cold blooded is one of the best.

Cola

Inkling
NNID
Cola64
I think it'd be nice if you were allowed to equip two pieces of gear to a slot - one cosmetic and one that actually affects your abilities. Terraria does this, for example.

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
I also find it a bit funny that the better the abilities the more your character looks like (s)he is ready for winter (except for the fact (s)he is still wearing shorts/capris). lol

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
The gear system is my least favorite thing about this game. Why can't cosmetics just be cosmetics?

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I also find it a bit funny that the better the abilities the more your character looks like (s)he is ready for winter (except for the fact (s)he is still wearing shorts/capris). lol
Haha not with me. I have goggles, pink polo, shorts and sneakers. But I do notice how the pricier items are the winter items. It would be cool if we got a mountain level with all kinds of hills, or a beach level and then we started to get swimsuits and sandals.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
in higher levels of Ranked, people use Echolocators and Point Sensors quite a lot, and it pays to be able to hide your location again faster, since being marked is basically a death sentence. With Cold-Blooded, it cuts the time in 1/2 at least.
It cuts by three-forths
12 sec echo> 3sec
Point 10 sec> 2.5sec

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
Hope for the patch that lets us have a visable gear set and then a set of gear that we take stats from.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
It is sort of unfortunate, I suppose. There isn't much you can do about almost everyone wearing the Jungle Hat or Designer Headphones online due to the Ink Saver abilities they have. Course, you can't expect people to not use the best gear available if they want to do well or have a specific playstyle.

UndrDog was streaming last night and had gear that basically allowed him to have an Inkstrike with the aeropsray before he even left his spawn. It was insane.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Hopefully that will be fixed in an update. :oops:

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
My main problem is that the main ability is tied to the clothes. I really wish that it'd all just be RNG. With that said though, I'm happy with my camo jacket with Quick Respawn.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
It is sort of unfortunate, I suppose. There isn't much you can do about almost everyone wearing the Jungle Hat or Designer Headphones online due to the Ink Saver abilities they have. Course, you can't expect people to not use the best gear available if they want to do well or have a specific playstyle.

UndrDog was streaming last night and had gear that basically allowed him to have an Inkstrike with the aeropsray before he even left his spawn. It was insane.
I am wondering what his perks were. Must have stacked perks to make that happen.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Yeah I'm hoping they lift this restriction somehow - I'd really like to wear the combo that I have in my avatar, plus the octoling boots, but the perk combos that I want are attached to other gear :(
Then again, I'm begrudgingly pleased that I'm being forced to vary my outfit, else I'd wind up doing what I do IRL and wearing the same thing everyday.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Level 20 allows you to add ability slots and reroll slots through Spyke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom