• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why Not Playable on Gamepad/Pro Controller, etc?

Nintenm1

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NintenAlt
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this here already, but why can't you play Splatoon online using a different controller, or why isn't the entire game accessible through the gamepad WITHOUT a TV?

I mean, I understand some of the things you need to do with the gamepad's second screen like switching inkling appearance, options, Booyah Base shops, and most importantly, super jumping to other players in battle, but I feel like these things could easily just be put into some sort of easy access drop down menu or button that isn't necessarily used at all in the game (If i recall correctly, the minus button is used for nothing).
For example, you could use the minus button online to get a mini map on the side of your screen and you could quickly select a player you want to squid jump to. And in single player, you could use the minus button to send the drop down menu for the options, controls and etc. that normally appear on the gamepad's screen. I understand that using the touch screen is less complex but what happens if your gamepad suddenly stops working? Or if the charger stops working? (i know a lot of people have had that problem, including me, preventing me from playing for almost a month.) Or what if they dont have access to the TV because someone wants to use it (just like every other Wii U game, you can use offscreen play).
I dunno, maybe it's just because my TV's been in storage for so long that I've missed tons of the updates and weapons, and I'm just really anxious to play. But does anyone else agree?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
To me, the main thing the Gamepad provides is the map. It's really not too different from a typical HUD radar (shows teammates, terrain, sometimes enemies, etc.), and if it were limited to that I'd argue it could've been placed on the main screen.

But there's more to it than that, of course. From the map, you can select a teammate to Super Jump to, and mark a spot to fire an Inkstrike. Although... you could probably do the latter using the L-Stick and A button as well, the map would just have to be blown up while using it. I'm not too sure about Super Jumping, though; mapping teammates to the A/B/Y buttons could work, but that seems a bit unwieldy to me.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Inkstrikes would be a pain with the pro controller, you'd have to scroll over to where you want to strike which would take a lot longer than simply tapping. Also jumping to squid beakons would be a pain for the same reason.

J.E. Rodríguez

Inkling
NNID
JoSeDu27
To me, the main thing the Gamepad provides is the map. It's really not too different from a typical HUD radar (shows teammates, terrain, sometimes enemies, etc.), and if it were limited to that I'd argue it could've been placed on the main screen.

But there's more to it than that, of course. From the map, you can select a teammate to Super Jump to, and mark a spot to fire an Inkstrike. Although... you could probably do the latter using the L-Stick and A button as well, the map would just have to be blown up while using it. I'm not too sure about Super Jumping, though; mapping teammates to the A/B/Y buttons could work, but that seems a bit unwieldy to me.
Inkstrikes would be a pain with the pro controller, you'd have to scroll over to where you want to strike which would take a lot longer than simply tapping. Also jumping to squid beakons would be a pain for the same reason.
Something that you haven't mentioned is the motion controls. You can't use motion controls with the pro cobtroller

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ooh... that's right. Completely forgot about that.

Well, what about the alternative used in the Battle Dojo, of a Wiimote strapped to a Pro Controller?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
You'd have to play the game to understand why the Gamepad is key to playing this game well at all. It's used for the always updating map which helps find enemies and then stop them, jumping to beacons or teammates in a flash, launching Inkstrikes at the last second in Turf War, and the insanely helpful motion controls. What you're suggesting would be a handicap essentially and you would not stand a chance against stronger players in most realistic situations.

Nintenm1

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NintenAlt
You'd have to play the game to understand why the Gamepad is key to playing this game well at all. It's used for the always updating map which helps find enemies and then stop them, jumping to beacons or teammates in a flash, launching Inkstrikes at the last second in Turf War, and the insanely helpful motion controls. What you're suggesting would be a handicap essentially and you would not stand a chance against stronger players in most realistic situations.
I have played the game, maybe not super competitively from the start, but I certainly know that it could be done. Whether or not you want to handicap yourself should be a choice. But like I said at the top of the thread, it's probably just me being super anxious to play the game after months of me not playing because of me not having a TV

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I have played the game, maybe not super competitively from the start, but I certainly know that it could be done. Whether or not you want to handicap yourself should be a choice. But like I said at the top of the thread, it's probably just me being super anxious to play the game after months of me not playing because of me not having a TV
I was a bit grumpy when I wrote that earlier. Sorry if it came off as offensive.

That's fine, for some putting a handicap is the only way to play well. I'd love off-tv play too but it won't happen this game but hopefully for the sequel. And I'd be anxious if I were in your shoes too. If I had the option of playing, I'd handicap myself too.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I was thinking for the offscreen play, they could make the full-size map mappable to the L Button. Then, one can have it come up whenever to can scan the area/Super Jump to something. Possibly make it semi-transparent so you can also get a basic understanding of your surroundings.

Personally, as fun and nice offscreen play would work, it would be a challenge to implement it effectively.

Nintenm1

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NintenAlt
I was a bit grumpy when I wrote that earlier. Sorry if it came off as offensive.

That's fine, for some putting a handicap is the only way to play well. I'd love off-tv play too but it won't happen this game but hopefully for the sequel. And I'd be anxious if I were in your shoes too. If I had the option of playing, I'd handicap myself too.
That's OK, I wasn't offended. Yeah, offscreen play is pretty much a no, I guess. But yeah maybe for a sequel.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It'd have been nice to be able to pair a 3DS with the WiiU and use that as the controller, the screen, AND the touchscreen at once.

D

Deleted Member

Not only that, but motion controls are superior to sticks controls in this game too.

J.E. Rodríguez

Inkling
NNID
JoSeDu27
Ooh... that's right. Completely forgot about that.

Well, what about the alternative used in the Battle Dojo, of a Wiimote strapped to a Pro Controller?
That would be a nice alternative, I've never tried it before but i've heard it's decent. But you would still have no map and, like others said, inkstrikes and superjumps would ge a pain in the tentacles

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
*I keep repeating myself as of late*

I'm not so sure about the Inkstrike. Airstrikes in Call o' Duty (bear with me, it's the only one I'm familiar with) can be placed without too much difficulty using the sticks, I see no reason why Inkstrikes couldn't be placed the same way.

You got me on Super Jumping, though.

Silentium

Senior Squid
As others have mentioned, while you could do certain tasks without the gamepad, the gamepad makes many things ridiculously accessible. The motion controls are the biggest part. Please don't feel anxious about getting into the game. It really isn't that difficult, especially since you played it before. Turf wars is casual, so don't fret if you do poorly. If you think you'll do that bad, play over the single player campaign again. One playthrough of that with motion controls will usually sets you right.

Nintenm1

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NintenAlt
As others have mentioned, while you could do certain tasks without the gamepad, the gamepad makes many things ridiculously accessible. The motion controls are the biggest part. Please don't feel anxious about getting into the game. It really isn't that difficult, especially since you played it before. Turf wars is casual, so don't fret if you do poorly. If you think you'll do that bad, play over the single player campaign again. One playthrough of that with motion controls will usually sets you right.
I absolutely despise motion controls. But you know what, maybe I will redo single player with them to see how I think of them afterwards..

Silentium

Senior Squid
Everyone says it all the time. The motion controls are awkward as hell in the beginning, but it becomes second nature after a while. It varies from person to person; some people take only a few hours while some may need days. In any case, practice makes perfect. Know that the motion controls aren't as good as a mouse and keyboard, but it's more accurate then using two joysticks. One thing I'd like to say: the motion controls work optimally if you're targeting someone who is in the general front line of sight. If there is someone at the edge of your screen, don't be afraid to use the joystick to quickly move the crosshairs towards the guy and then use the motion controls to aim more precisely. I.E use the joystick for broad movements, while using the motion controls for more precise aiming.

ThatSrb2DUDE

Senior Squid
NNID
ThatSrb2DUDE
Splatoon was not designed to be played with sticks alone.

But I feel the main issue is that if some people where using pro controllers and other's weren't than when you want people to super jump they wouldn't be. It would be giving an unfair advantage to certain team match making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom