• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Why Quick Respawn is a Bad Ability [short video]

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Made this to explain specifically why you shouldn't be running QR. I see a lot of people still running the ability, so thought posting the video here would be good. If you have questions/comments comment on the YouTube video because I don't check squidboards often

Hope you Enjoy ^_^

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
Completely agree, especially on the abilities you’re recommending.

I won’t get into details because I don’t know how to hide my comments under a spoiler tab.

As far as I can tell the meta abilities are heavily driven by what people see the high level competitive players use. I am admittedly guilty of modeling my gear after some players that are exponentially above my skill level. But I think the load outs that those elite comp teams use is not necessarily going to be best for the majority of the player base. And it might not even necessarily scale to solo rank.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Completely agree, especially on the abilities you’re recommending.

I won’t get into details because I don’t know how to hide my comments under a spoiler tab.

As far as I can tell the meta abilities are heavily driven by what people see the high level competitive players use. I am admittedly guilty of modeling my gear after some players that are exponentially above my skill level. But I think the load outs that those elite comp teams use is not necessarily going to be best for the majority of the player base. And it might not even necessarily scale to solo rank.
It's better to know why you are running the ability than to just make a gear build by following the flock ; )

Hence, everyone running QR, it's hardly useful compared to other things, everyone just thinks it is because someone else said so

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'll admit that i was in the same boat as you. QR looks terrible on paper, only giving you it's effects after two deaths without scoring a single kill sounds like a tough sell. However, once you see it's effects on the field it does have it's uses. Shaving off few precious seconds is still extremely valuable in a high-speed game like Splatoon, and the fact it doesn't reset with assists is far more helpful than it sounds. Comeback is also highly valued in the meta but you can't stack it, so you still need to fill in 5 mains of other stuff in your loadout.

The cold truth is that you can't, and likely won't be the best in every single game out there. There will be games where you get outplayed or won't get much of a chance to shine with the rest of the team. These things will happen sooner or later, and QR will help you prepare for it so you can still keep up with your team to prevent a loss.
Even if you won't get it's effects in every game, QR will help you when you are getting outplayed and you just need some extra time to stop the enemy push. This can happen at any point of the game, where the enemy will counterpush or when the enemy is about to KO. It is situational, but it's situational during the time where you need it the most. Saver might give you some special charge back but it absolutely cannot compare to getting back in the game faster.

You can say "If you're dying a lot, you're not accomplishing anything", but by the same reasoning any respawn ability is useless. They focus on the aspect you don't want, dying, and you rather want to have abilities to stop yourself from dying or make the other team die faster. But the point being is, dying will happen, and yes, there will be games where you can die a lot. Thinking otherwise is pretty naive. QR functions as a safety net, to ensure you are prepared for that scenario and make the most of it.

That being said, i do think it's overrated and it doesn't need to get stacked beyond 2 mains. It certainly doesn't need to replace comeback or stealth jump in a respawn-focused loadout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom