• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why use the Gold Dynamo as opposed to the other two?

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
I absolutely love the vanilla and Tempered Dynamos, but I really don’t see what’s the deal with the Gold Dynamo. (Note: I’m in a Ranked mindset here, not Turf.)

Don’t get me wrong, I love Splat Bombs and they’re really fun to use and versatile, but I don’t see how they help the Gold Dynamo specifically. Lobbing over walls? You can already do it with the main weapon. Close range encounters? You’re probably going to trade regardless of whether you throw a bomb or flick. Keeping enemies at bay? Flicks work just as well. Besides, the Splat Bomb is the Dynamo sub you’re most likely to use the most often, and you can’t really afford to throw bombs all the time when your main weapon consumes that much ink. (Unless you’re using Ink Saver Sub, but how do you even fit that on a weapon that needs so many abilities to function well?)

As for the Inkstrike, it’s not a very good Special. If you use it to ink ground, you’re better off flicking. If you can’t reach the area you want to ink with your main weapon, then it’s probably in enemy territory or something, in which case it’s going to get covered by your opponents pretty quickly. You could of course use it to force enemies out of the way or trap them, but the Killer Wail does it too, and better.

Meanwhile, the vanilla Dynamo has the Sprinkler, which helps it stay in its own ink or defend/support (the vanilla’s main purpose). Echolocator is an excellent Special and its instant ink refill complements the ink-hungry main nicely. The Tempered’s Seekers make it much more mobile and give it a (very) close range option situationally, whereas the Killer Wail works really well with Seekers, because you want to use those two in maps with long, straight paths.

So, if you favor the Gold Dynamo, could you tell me why? Just curious, because I fail to see its strengths compared to the two others.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I like the gold dynamo because it's GOLD! Also I just like splat bombs and the inkstrike a lot. Go ahead call me a casual.

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
I like the gold dynamo because it's GOLD! Also I just like splat bombs and the inkstrike a lot. Go ahead call me a casual.
If we’re talking looks, the Gold Dynamo is second, because the Tempered looks really cool (and even matches the style of the Killer Wail!). :p

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Oh hey! Something on squidboards I might actually be qualified to answer!
I like the gold dynamo a lot, tempered dynamo with its killer wail sub weapon is pretty great, and echo spam on the vanilla is real, but I love forcing the enemies into position with splat bommbs and inkstrikes.

Firstly I'll ask, how do you fight a dynamo head on? Trick question, you don't. You take cover and proceed to sneak/outrange him(or kraken/bubbler LOLOLOLOL)
What if a splat bomb was placed right where you were about to take cover? Well if you don't notice it in time, you dead, if you run forward at the dynamo, you dead(or trade...or kill the dynamo if he's bad), or you run away further and give up control of the turf you were fightin' for.

Basically, splat bombs(and inkstrike) are perfect for forcing your enemy into an unfavorable fight.
Deny the other squid his access to life saving cover and force him to face your death bringing flick. The other dynamos can do this, but sprinklers are very slow at doing so(and they can be shot dead =[ ) and killer wail, while it's pretty much always available for the tempered(lol), takes more time to deploy than a splat bomb.

It is pretty ridiculous, how easily I can force people out of cover and into their certain demise with the good ol' goldie.

BUTT

the catch is that, as ya said, it sucks up ALL of your ink for just one encounter. Thus, I'm almost always dipped into ink and I always make sure to be relatively close to my teammates or I make myself an impassable flank guard(rarely do I find more than one squid trying to flank at the exact same time)

The inkstrike I use just like any other weapon with inkstrike, as a global suction bomb of doom. If there is a particular spot on the map I do not want any enemy squids(or if they foolishly placed all their squid beakons in one spot) I take cover and deploy the inkstrike there.
It's a vertical killer wail, its a zone capper, its a smokescreen for your rainmaker, it it has a lot of uses that I feel a lot of folks here on squid boards don't give it credit for. You just can't deploy it willy nilly(like pretty much any special)

I pick the gold when the team doesn't need echo support or you want to play cover denial more than the killer wail allows(or you suck with seekers like me xD)
Plus yeah, bling for the based god.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
A Splat Bomb is faster than a flick, so it's an easier way to threathen the perch of a Splatling/Charger, you can even throw it under a fellow Dynamo before he can flick.
Splat Bomb trajectories are more flexible, you can throw it over walls, in a narrow hallway,
You're more mobile when throwing a Bomb and the commitment is lower so it's better for quickly blocking a path and retreating.

That and Inkstrike spam >> Killer Wail spam

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
Oh hey! Something on squidboards I might actually be qualified to answer!
I like the gold dynamo a lot, tempered dynamo with its killer wail sub weapon is pretty great, and echo spam on the vanilla is real, but I love forcing the enemies into position with splat bommbs and inkstrikes.

Firstly I'll ask, how do you fight a dynamo head on? Trick question, you don't. You take cover and proceed to sneak/outrange him(or kraken/bubbler LOLOLOLOL)
What if a splat bomb was placed right where you were about to take cover? Well if you don't notice it in time, you dead, if you run forward at the dynamo, you dead(or trade...or kill the dynamo if he's bad), or you run away further and give up control of the turf you were fightin' for.

Basically, splat bombs(and inkstrike) are perfect for forcing your enemy into an unfavorable fight.
Deny the other squid his access to life saving cover and force him to face your death bringing flick. The other dynamos can do this, but sprinklers are very slow at doing so(and they can be shot dead =[ ) and killer wail, while it's pretty much always available for the tempered(lol), takes more time to deploy than a splat bomb.

It is pretty ridiculous, how easily I can force people out of cover and into their certain demise with the good ol' goldie.

BUTT

the catch is that, as ya said, it sucks up ALL of your ink for just one encounter. Thus, I'm almost always dipped into ink(conversely, if I time my and I always make sure to be relatively close to my teammates or I make myself an impassable flank guard(rarely do I find more than one squid trying to flank at the exact same time)

The inkstrike I use just like any other weapon with inkstrike, as a global suction bomb of doom. If there is a particular spot on the map I do not want any enemy squids(or if they foolishly placed all their squid beakons in one spot) I take cover and deploy the inkstrike there.
It's a vertical killer wail, its a zone capper, its a smokescreen for your rainmaker, it it has a lot of uses that I feel a lot of folks here on squid boards don't give it credit for. You just can't deploy it willy nilly(like pretty much any special)

I pick the gold when the team doesn't need echo support or you want to play cover denial more than the killer wail allows(or you suck with seekers like me xD)
Plus yeah, bling for the based god.
Thank you for the very detailed post! I gave the Gold Dynamo another chance, swapping my Ink Resistance + Swim Speed Up shoes for some Ink Saver Main and Sub, and I had a lot of success. I mean, it’s not like I never used it before, or have no experience with Splat Bombs or Inkstrikes (well admittedly, I very rarely use Inkstrikes), but still.

I’ve been playing vanilla and Tempered with only Ink Recovery to help with ink efficiency, and using Ink Saver again feels like a luxury, honestly :p

A Splat Bomb is faster than a flick, so it's an easier way to threathen the perch of a Splatling/Charger, you can even throw it under a fellow Dynamo before he can flick.
Splat Bomb trajectories are more flexible, you can throw it over walls, in a narrow hallway,
You're more mobile when throwing a Bomb and the commitment is lower so it's better for quickly blocking a path and retreating.

That and Inkstrike spam >> Killer Wail spam
Good points!

So I suppose it goes like this:
  • Dynamo: best at support/defense/inking, can easily lock down a lot of turf
  • Gold: very versatile, can reach any opponent wherever they are on the map, more suited to offense
  • Tempered: extremely mobile and balanced, but more dependent on the map than the others

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom