• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Wii U Gamepad problems

Laseraxis7

Fluorescent Inkling Spawn
Ever since I started playing Splatoon, I've been suffering from connection errors, but nothing is compared to my constant suffering of playing with damaged analog sticks.

My main problems with the gamepad:
1. Left analog stick doesn't react when I tilt it to the left and/or causes my inkling to move involuntarily.
2. Right analog stick doen't react properly and/or causes the camera to move and spin around, causing my aim to be difficult.
3. Even though I calibrated my analog sticks, this problems are still present.

If you know anything about these issues, please let me know how to fix this problem. It's making playing Splatoon difficult.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
If calibration doesn't fix the issue and trying to play with minimal control stick input isn't working (motion controls?), I think your next step is to try to eliminate any potential connection issues. Make sure you're not more than 10 feet or so from your console and there are no obstructions between the gamepad and console. Also ensure microwaves and other electronics that operate on the 2.4ghz spectrum are off. It's not a common problem, but if you have a lot of wireless devices in your house there may be some interference. By minimizing the distance, obstructions, and electronics nearby, you can make sure there is indeed a hardware issue before moving forward...

If you can rule out connection issues, you probably need to replace the analog sticks themselves. You can buy the parts on ebay or something (they're roughly $10 apiece), and follow this guide to repair them, or take the gamepad to an electronics/video game repair shop if you're not savvy enough to handle it yourself (be very careful, you can easily break something if you don't know what you're doing or what not to touch!):

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+Wii+U+GamePad+Analog+Stick+Replacement/12873

If all else fails, you might have to replace the whole gamepad unit. Nintendo most likely will repair or replace it for a fee, but I have no idea what the cost might be. Those are harder to find and much more expensive, some ebay listings are even approaching the price of a used console itself so hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:

epicRedHot

Inkling
I have this problem myself as well, I've just been under the impression it was some unique error that nobody knew how to fix. (I guess I just wasn't using the right search terms or something...) Thank you both for letting me know it was a somewhat common issue and that it was possible to fix.

Laseraxis7

Fluorescent Inkling Spawn
Thanks! I've been thinking of buying a new gamepad since it's better than buying just one replacement, and the Switch is coming out as well. Anywho, I appreciate your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom