• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Worst Team You Have Ever Had?

PyrexO2

Senior Squid
NNID
Ethan_Gaming_02
Hey Squids!
Just a question that has been puzzling me for a while, some people say that it's everyone fault but i personally think that I have had some experiences where I have been paired with some god awful players.

So anyway to get to the point i just wanna ask you guys if you have ever had ****ty experiences when playing with some really bad players, whether it be ranked or turf war.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Hard to say, just because someone performs terribly in one match does not mean they are really awful players. Everyone has those matches where they are absolutely destroyed by the other team along with their teammates, and it could easily be poor weapon composition and nothing to do with skill, or lack thereof.

I just don't like to fall back on the notion that everyone on my team sucked and I was the only one who knows how to play the game properly. I've had matches where I was a total burden to the team, but I'm not a bad player. I would hate for people to think I suck overall because of a few bad performances.

You will also need to take into account that maybe the low performers are just using weapons they never touched before, or suck with. Maybe they are new players, or haven't played in several months. Ranked is a little different since there's a good chance they are not new to the game, but like I mentioned before, no one has never had a match where their team is demolished. And you never know, your poor performance maybe why you've had some lousy matches, not your teammates.

(By the way, I'm not speaking directly to the OP, just using "you" as a general term to talk to the reader. ;) )

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I mean, yeah, HoL's points stand, but just today, I had a RM match (S, Flounder) in which I went 4/3, all of my teammates went 0/4~0/6 and we got dunked about a minute in. To an extent, that can be attributed to the fact that the SM is wonderful at last-line defence, standing its ground and firing over a chokepoint until it gets flanked, but I also splatted someone at the very start of the match, y'know?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I think the worst team I ever had was a team that just screwed around when I felt like playing serious.
It was in one of the few times I played ranked, and it was really annoying. I had to try and brush it off though and just left after because I wasn't in the mood to get salty.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I mean, yeah, HoL's points stand, but just today, I had a RM match (S, Flounder) in which I went 4/3, all of my teammates went 0/4~0/6 and we got dunked about a minute in. To an extent, that can be attributed to the fact that the SM is wonderful at last-line defence, standing its ground and firing over a chokepoint until it gets flanked, but I also splatted someone at the very start of the match, y'know?
Sadly, it happens. I'll admit I was talking in a super broad sense, as I've had teams that just failed in every way which turn the match into an inkbath, let alone putting up a good fight. Those matches just happen, it still really sucks.

I think the worst team I ever had was a team that just screwed around when I felt like playing serious.
It was in one of the few times I played ranked, and it was really annoying. I had to try and brush it off though and just left after because I wasn't in the mood to get salty.
Same. To me, the worst kind of teammates are the ones who purposely mess around, or try to troll in some way.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Same. To me, the worst kind of teammates are the ones who purposely mess around, or try to troll in some way.
Yeah, what hurts me a little is when someone completely gives up on a match, idling at spawn. That happened earlier in an SZ match on Arowana where, by the time the enemy counter was at 25 and we still hadn't once taken the Zone, an '89 was sighted doing absolutely nothing. Y'know, we could've used a last-minute Inkstrike! Thankfully, at S, it seems that that's the worst that happens in terms of deliberately-thrown matches, and it's only ever one person (and, if the other three make some return, they might even rejoin the fray! I've seen it happen).

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
My friend says they're purposefully trying to derank, but that's pretty ridiculous honestly...? Just play your hardest and if you rank up you rank up.
If you derank, you derank.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
So my personal worst experience in this regard was a while back in Zones at Flounder. I rushed the top with a Krakon roller, wiped their entire team, and then held both zones by myself splatting one opponent after another over and over. I never really saw my team, so I just figured they were off trying to hole up the enemy at their base, which is fine. Anyway, eventually the other team caught onto my shenanigans and splatted me. After that, they locked down both zones and I was never able to take control again, and they won the match. I couldn’t believe it! The results came back and I noticed I went 19/3, while my teammates went 0/6, 0/9, and 0/7 (no disconnects).

However, to HoL’s point this extreme case happened precisely ONE TIME in the hundreds of matches I’ve played. I’m sorry to say I’ve gone 0/9 more than once (*sigh*), so while sometimes your teammates do put up a bad performance it doesn’t necessarily mean they suck. Heck just today I was playing RM in S+ lobby and our team got annihilated, and I had to shoulder a large amount of the blame. The very next game, one of my teammates disconnected at the start and the remaining three of us not only prevented the other team from dunking, but the final score was a 38-37 loss in a 3v4 for the whole match. The bottom line is it’s hard to say why some matches shake out the way they do, but I can’t agree that anyone who breaks out of the lower ranks actually sucks.

But yeah, it’s safe to say we’ve all had similar feelings in our matches.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
My friend says they're purposefully trying to derank, but that's pretty ridiculous honestly...?
Couple of reasons why:
  1. They want to grind easy money starting from the lowest ranks.
  2. They want to perform some sort of rank-up challenge (e.g. fastest time to S+, fewest losses, no speed ability Sploosh...).
  3. More unlikely, but perhaps they're adjusting their account for someone else, such as if they had played enough to unlock all weapons so that a younger sibling/child could play them without having to do potentially boring work to afford them all.

PyrexO2

Senior Squid
NNID
Ethan_Gaming_02
Hard to say, just because someone performs terribly in one match does not mean they are really awful players. Everyone has those matches where they are absolutely destroyed by the other team along with their teammates, and it could easily be poor weapon composition and nothing to do with skill, or lack thereof.

I just don't like to fall back on the notion that everyone on my team sucked and I was the only one who knows how to play the game properly. I've had matches where I was a total burden to the team, but I'm not a bad player. I would hate for people to think I suck overall because of a few bad performances.

You will also need to take into account that maybe the low performers are just using weapons they never touched before, or suck with. Maybe they are new players, or haven't played in several months. Ranked is a little different since there's a good chance they are not new to the game, but like I mentioned before, no one has never had a match where their team is demolished. And you never know, your poor performance maybe why you've had some lousy matches, not your teammates.

(By the way, I'm not speaking directly to the OP, just using "you" as a general term to talk to the reader. ;) )
[Reply]
Those are very valid points and i have experienced situations like that, i think the whole splatoon lobies thing where you can't chat/change weapons is a problem. But just another questin, have you ever had players say squid partying or being bad on purpose may be what i was intended to say

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
have you ever had players say squid partying or being bad on purpose may be what i was intended to say
Oh for sure. I've lost some matches due to people sabotaging my team, or just squid partying on some part of the map when the rest of us want to play, resulting in a 3 v 4. I remember one of my first turf matches on Piranha Pit, I had a teammate go and party on the grill to the side of the map. That really bugged me since I was so excited to be playing on a new map, only to be forced to lose since someone wanted to goof off.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I forget when it was, but one Splatfest I had a team that lost a 3v4. We were the 4, and it being a Splatfest battle meant that the 3 didn't have any special respawn bonuses or anything.

I'll own up to however badly I played in that match, but that oughta go down in the record books as one of the most incompetent teams in Splatoon history.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I forget when it was, but one Splatfest I had a team that lost a 3v4. We were the 4, and it being a Splatfest battle meant that the 3 didn't have any special respawn bonuses or anything.

I'll own up to however badly I played in that match, but that oughta go down in the record books as one of the most incompetent teams in Splatoon history.
Had a similar scenario in ranked. I had 7-something splats along with my other good teammate, the other two had 11-14 deaths and about 1-2 splats. It also ended in a KO, can you believe that?

Nowadays I'll try to stop myself for saying that an entire team is terrible, if I'm stuck with 3 bad teammates it usually ends with me getting KO'd a minute in the game. When i get the idea that a loss isn't my fault, i try to identify who played terribly and who did average after the match ended. Doesn't do much in terms of changing the outcome of the match, but hey i don't want to be too judgemental of my own teams.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
When i get the idea that a loss isn't my fault, i try to identify who played terribly and who did average after the match ended.
Similarly but differently, if I've just had a flowing Ranked match (e.g. 100 to 0 SZ, TC in which the opponents never get past 90, etc.), I often ask the question 'who was it?'. Usually some demonic Carbon, Luna or Tentatek on my team is to be thanked, but there can be nice surprises, and sometimes it just turns out that all four of us performed well enough to keep the opponents constantly at bay.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Technically the worst team I had was when they all disconnected and I was left by myself. Fortunately, nearly all my opponents also disconnected, leaving one poor inkbrush who wasn't very good, and I spawn-camped him.

Otherwise, yeah, I've had games where I was the only one with any kills, and ones where players all gave up. You know it's bad when there are six Squid Beakons planted in and around your spawn.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Oh for sure. I've lost some matches due to people sabotaging my team, or just squid partying on some part of the map when the rest of us want to play, resulting in a 3 v 4. I remember one of my first turf matches on Piranha Pit, I had a teammate go and party on the grill to the side of the map. That really bugged me since I was so excited to be playing on a new map, only to be forced to lose since someone wanted to goof off.
Yeah, blatantly sabotaging your team is something that really puzzles me. I had a guy on my team last night in ranked who stood at spawn the whole time, but would move by some small amount every once in a while to make sure he didn't disconnect due to inactivity. If he just wanted to rank down, he could have not moved and disconnected, which would have lessened our loss penalty and would have been faster on his part. I pumped a few rounds of my Luna Blaster into him to let him know I wasn't a fan, but then I had to move on. What was that guy thinking? Dunno, maybe he's just a hater...

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I can't think of any specific games that I can say I had "horrible" teammates, but I do remember an instance in Turf on Kelp where my teammates were huddled on the small ramp left of spawn. There was an E-liter there ready to get them, yet none of them had the idea to go around and they were there for a good amount of time. Once I respawned, I ended doing so and taking out the E-liter thus "freeing" them. I'm reluctant to say this was "horrible play" on their part because they might've been distracting the E-liter so I could attempt to get them. Then again, you'd think at least one of them would've done so during their time on the ramp. =/

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Right now I can only recall being thrown into lobbies where my team gets horribly destroyed, and whatever turf we still had by the end I had to move a couple mountains to keep, which sometimes makes for pretty intense matches, but gets old by the 6th time in a row o_O. Chances are there's an extremely bad game I can't remember, but probably it's better that way :ability_defenseup:

Edit: Now I remember a team that kept dying and Super Jumping to my location all-game-long. Remember what I said about moving mountains? Well, imagine being attacked by 3 members of the enemy team at the same time while your team rains from above constantly and gets splatted immediately, constantly. At least they worked as decoys while I retreated to a better position ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom