Would like advice from A+ Rollers

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
some more advice to the krak-ons out there: don't 1v1 a killer wail

omg that's glorious! The only defense I can come up with is that maybe they thought you'd hide in the ink inside the wail. That would be a safe place for you technically. sort of.

Mister Chippy

Inkster Jr.
I saw a Japanese A+ roller a while ago who stuck in my memory. She was using a Krak-On and had a nearly completely special gauge focused build (I think she might have had some swim speed or something, but it was almost all special related). She played almost entirely around Kracken and it was really devastating (she demolished my team which was almost entirely A+). She built up special by flanking around and grabbing map control while picking off stragglers then led a push to the point once she had Kracken and she felt she had decent enough control of our peripheries. She'd take control then quickly ink up wherever we had been holding while dropping beacons, and by the time we respawned we'd would have completely lost map control. It would take ages to break through their lines and by that time she would have Kracken up again and would be ready for round two. It was savage.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I saw a Japanese A+ roller a while ago who stuck in my memory. She was using a Krak-On and had a nearly completely special gauge focused build (I think she might have had some swim speed or something, but it was almost all special related). She played almost entirely around Kracken and it was really devastating (she demolished my team which was almost entirely A+). She built up special by flanking around and grabbing map control while picking off stragglers then led a push to the point once she had Kracken and she felt she had decent enough control of our peripheries. She'd take control then quickly ink up wherever we had been holding while dropping beacons, and by the time we respawned we'd would have completely lost map control. It would take ages to break through their lines and by that time she would have Kracken up again and would be ready for round two. It was savage.
I've faced this before. Probably the worst place for it is on saltspray rig. Had a kraken roller on the enemy team fill the top area with beacons, then would defend by just using the kraken. Literally took me till the last minute to finally break through and destroy the beacons(which annoyingly I broke through a lot, but even after destroying one the roller still was able to squid jump to it. Like I'd destroy it, but apparently they selected it sooner/soon enough.) We only won because i was able to take the top area, making the enemy team lose their beacons and my team was able to keep them out of the zone.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
My advice as a B+/A- Krak-On user, is not to play Krak-On when the Mall is in rotation, as a good Krak-on player who ambushes opposition that map always feels too small with not enough places for me to ambush the opposition.
The other map where Krak-On isn't the best option is Kelp Dome, although there it is possible to get good scores with Kraken but the verticality of the map hurts Kraken users. Also any wakeways which a Kraken can fall through are not good and thus maps with such walkways are more suitable to Dynamo users who have higher range.
On the larger maps Beacon and Ambushing enemies while having enough ground to have a Kraken centered game is easy. As long as you get the early advantage/stalmate. On these maps I just wait for the special to be filled up and capture the next splatzone or get a few kills. I might end up dying but with the Kraken you are usually able to get one or two kills before retreating. The important thing is not to die during the first Kraken use but rather to take an objective and retreat to place more beacons or refuel the special.

Main abilities I use are Tenacity I'm forced to use it because I fear my team mates in a lot of matches. I would probably main Longer Special or Faster Special if it wasn't the fact that I constantly have people in my team who die 7-12 times a match. The other main skill you need is Ninja Squid, you want to surprise your opponents and run away at the first whiff of danger. Ink Resistance on the shoes I believe is the only main ability that is needed in 99% of optimal builds, even as a charger you are going to have to make a gateway through enemy ink at some point and that slow is painful.
My sub gear is mostly focused on filling up that special bar as fast as possible and having a longer Kraken to allow me to either get more kills or escape. I do want to save some money and roll to get the boost for squid form traversal to speed up my Kraken.

As a Roller user, you need to Jump and Flick your roller even as you are running away. You need to be bunny hopping around your opponents using Gyro. Use your movement to be one step ahead. Hide in ink or on walls and be very wary of echolocation. Flanking is very valuable, I'd even recommend to flank on foot without spreading ink early game to end up behind the enemy without them noticing it on the map. Very few players look behind them on the Skate Park map for example if you flanked them from areas they think they control - especially early on when the ground is still neutral on the flanks in certain cases.
Anyhow don't expect to Roll many opponents unless they have their back turned on you, and also don't chase while rolling unless they have no idea you are behind them. Flinking is much more effective and you are able to do it while jumping forwards.

Also be wary when people use their Ecolocation, simply fall back in such instances unless you have the Kraken ready.

The main thing is the game itselt, if you are able to multitask and also focus on the minimap I guarantee you'd end up a better player than me. Since I don't follow the mini map as much - I'm not reaching my full potetial. Being aware what is going on the map is huge on this game and it's hard to keep track of it, thankfully as a roller you can do it while moving in safe zones at the very least(unless some other ninja or paintbrush user ambushes you.

In

Last edited:

makemesmellbad

Inkling
NNID
makemesmellbad
If you're having trouble with range, you have two options:

1 (the more popular and easier option): Try the regular Dynamo Roller. It can outrange a few guns, outpower most guns, and cover a huge area when used properly. Keep in mind, however, your team will be the ones pushing. The Dynamo and Sprinkler combo is only good for holding down an area and locking down the enemies. Echolocator isn't optimal for the loadout, but it's better to have a sprinkler than an ink bomb (Gold Dynamo loadout). Echolocator also completely restores your ink tank without halting, so it can allow you to cover tons of area by splashing repeatedly. Almost never track ink unless you're totally safe to do so, and it is to connect friendly ink that is already there. Definitely utilize high ground, because it may get outranged by a few guns, but with a height advantage, the ink will carry momentum with air time, allowing you to take out N-ZAPs and Splattershots from a safe distance. Always have a sprinkler active to maximize coverage on point, and do recon on stages to learn the best sprinkler spots.

2 (the more unorthodox and slippery option): Try the Inkbrush. Though many people think it's a terrible roller, it's, imo, one of the best suited for a support role. If your team is struggling to get in, a roller could be a strong option. Never play offensively, but play the harassment game as much as possible. Poke enemies a bit then run away with its ridiculously fast tracking, hide in friendly ink while constantly refreshing the sprinkler that your enemies keep destroying, and make paths for your team to flank while ambushing one enemy at a time. The Inkstrike is a much more optimized special for ranked play, but, in turn, the main weapon is harder to use. If you put the proper practice into learning how to use this loadout, you may find the support roller to be more suited to carrying your into A. However, the downside here is that your team needs to know to push. I'll sometimes get paired with people who won't use my trails or won't push when we have an opening, so the Inkbrush can't support without the proper leverage. It can push to high heaven, sure, but if nobody catches on quickly enough because you speed ahead too quickly, you can get in some deep ink.

TLDR, Dynamo is better for defensive play if that is what your team is lacking, and Inkbrush is better for opening paths and intruding/pushing.

Mister Chippy

Inkster Jr.
Ok, so I replied here a week ago with some observations I'd made about A+ roller players but now I'm actually a A+ roller player myself, so time for round 2!

First, don't give up, guns are not better than rollers in ranked. In fact, I feel like rollers are generally stronger (otherwise I wouldn't have decided to use them to climb through the A ranks). Secondly, consider trying out the Dynamo Roller. It's really good and most of my advice will probably be more aplicable to it than to the Krack-On, since Dynamo is typically my weapon of choice.

Your first question was about how to approach enemies when they control the area and have painted over everything. You have 2 options here. The first is to try and find another way around and sneak up behind them. This can be potentially game winning if it works, but it's not always possible and if you mess up you just wasted a lot of time. The second option (but this one might be harder for a normal roller) is to reclaim the ground from them by flicking. Just dance around corners flicking paint onto the ground, just trying to see what sticks. Sometimes you'll get lucky and even get an accidental kill. Sometimes they'll miss some of your paint and this gives you an opportunity to swim on in and splat them. Sometimes they'll charge at you and you can swim up a wall and over the corner to get a surprise high altitude flick to take them out. Most of the time they'll just cover it back up, but eventually you'll build up enough special for Kracken, at which point you just wait for enough members of your team to be up (and once you do reach A ranks you should wait for a teammate to pop echo first, but you can't rely on that below A ranks) then just Krack on in and try to be a distraction and force the enemy into a bad position. If someone gives you the slip and you lose them, don't try looking for them and let them waste your special meter, just switch targets and drive someone else away too. This should give your team time to reclaim the turf and hopefully get some kills.

What you do when you have the advantage is much, much easier. Ink up as much of their territory as you can and just murder them when they least expect it. Hide in the walls and splat them from behind. Your goal isn't actually to kill them (although that helps) you just want to distract them for as long as you can. Don't do that think I see rollers do where they run right up to the enemy spawn then turn around and roll down another path. Ink up all over there then camp and force them to waste time flushing you out. If they don't, you just murder them from behind. If they do you just hide and harass them every now and then and try to run the clock down while your team covers all the turf around the zone and charges their specials. Don't be afraid of dying as long as you can take one or two of them with you, they probably can't push without all 4 of them up and decreasing their special meter is worth some of yours, since specials are typically more necessary for the team that wants to break the base (and you can probably build yours back quicker anyways since you're a roller). Trading your life for a kill or two at their base loses you no territory you could really hope to hold anyways and delays their push.

If you have any more specific questions please ask!

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion
Ok, so I replied here a week ago with some observations I'd made about A+ roller players but now I'm actually a A+ roller player myself, so time for round 2!

First, don't give up, guns are not better than rollers in ranked. In fact, I feel like rollers are generally stronger (otherwise I wouldn't have decided to use them to climb through the A ranks). Secondly, consider trying out the Dynamo Roller. It's really good and most of my advice will probably be more aplicable to it than to the Krack-On, since Dynamo is typically my weapon of choice.

Your first question was about how to approach enemies when they control the area and have painted over everything. You have 2 options here. The first is to try and find another way around and sneak up behind them. This can be potentially game winning if it works, but it's not always possible and if you mess up you just wasted a lot of time. The second option (but this one might be harder for a normal roller) is to reclaim the ground from them by flicking. Just dance around corners flicking paint onto the ground, just trying to see what sticks. Sometimes you'll get lucky and even get an accidental kill. Sometimes they'll miss some of your paint and this gives you an opportunity to swim on in and splat them. Sometimes they'll charge at you and you can swim up a wall and over the corner to get a surprise high altitude flick to take them out. Most of the time they'll just cover it back up, but eventually you'll build up enough special for Kracken, at which point you just wait for enough members of your team to be up (and once you do reach A ranks you should wait for a teammate to pop echo first, but you can't rely on that below A ranks) then just Krack on in and try to be a distraction and force the enemy into a bad position. If someone gives you the slip and you lose them, don't try looking for them and let them waste your special meter, just switch targets and drive someone else away too. This should give your team time to reclaim the turf and hopefully get some kills.

What you do when you have the advantage is much, much easier. Ink up as much of their territory as you can and just murder them when they least expect it. Hide in the walls and splat them from behind. Your goal isn't actually to kill them (although that helps) you just want to distract them for as long as you can. Don't do that think I see rollers do where they run right up to the enemy spawn then turn around and roll down another path. Ink up all over there then camp and force them to waste time flushing you out. If they don't, you just murder them from behind. If they do you just hide and harass them every now and then and try to run the clock down while your team covers all the turf around the zone and charges their specials. Don't be afraid of dying as long as you can take one or two of them with you, they probably can't push without all 4 of them up and decreasing their special meter is worth some of yours, since specials are typically more necessary for the team that wants to break the base (and you can probably build yours back quicker anyways since you're a roller). Trading your life for a kill or two at their base loses you no territory you could really hope to hold anyways and delays their push.

If you have any more specific questions please ask!
Great stuff! I'm currently trying to break into the A rank. What do you find the hardest to deal with as a roller?

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Great stuff! I'm currently trying to break into the A rank. What do you find the hardest to deal with as a roller?
I've gotten the hang of playing some krak-on roller in A+ after my kelp charger only run. Here what I can say about it:

I'm gonna say that charger are probably the hardest to deal if there isn't a easy ambush option ; I clearly remember a E-liter giving me great trouble at one point.

Otherwise in general: The Splash attack should be used and abused ; In ranked match You'll rarely roll around with your roller unless you're 100% sure there no enemy or crush someone expect then you miss someone right next to you with the splash. Beacon are rly useful and give you more presence to you and your teammate even after a death if you place them correctly and remember to use it (Surprisingly even at A+ it pretty common for people to miss a beacon hidden in a corner ; even if they show in their map!). Kraken is generally reserved for pushing in ; scaring the enemy away from mid and of course ; as a killing tool.

Mister Chippy

Inkster Jr.
Chargers.

A good charger can just end you as a roller. If they're aware of their surroundings and can aim there just isn't anything you can do about them. Especially on maps like Bluefin where they can watch every path between both sides. E Liters are the worst because they can defend themselves at close range with their burst bombs. You also can't safely Kracken to protect yourself from them because they kill you in one shot. Against a really good charger all you can do is avoid them and count on your team to save you by shutting them down.

zeph-the-blue

Inkling
NNID
runnymede
I'm currently a B+ roller who specializes in the inkbrush and the krack-on. I tend to switch between the two depending on the stage loadout. if there is something I've learned from rollers is that you never fight head on. weave and flick jump with the roller at mid range, and only steamroll enemies from the sides or back if the flick did not kill. stealth is key here, as an unexpected roller in your face is much more efficient than a roller strolling towards you. ink shots push you back, so if you're hit once, it will stop your momentum. as for the inkbrush, you want to distract the enemy with a sprinkler, then you run in and flank them. make sure you're in melee range, as the inkbrush flick can get multiple hits and killing enemies with 3 swipes instead of 5. you want to leave trails all around them so they will be forced to slow down and paint, another thing: inkbrush is godlike in Blackbelly Skatepark if you can camp the middle platform.

I'd say the most annoying weapons to fight against are the gal series and the chargers if caught from far away.

Theworstmaker

Inkling
NNID
Theworstmaker
Just started and trying to pick up from what ive been playing. part of a strategy NEEDS at least one roller to cover ground as the other covers and removes the threats that come towards him.

Njok

Bouncer
Probably super obvious but deserves to be said: use the camera and 3rd person perspective to your advantage.

OP actually mentioned turning a corner and getting killed. Look around the corner before turning it. The same goes for looking over ledges. Specifically for rollers: on the rare occasion that you are actually rolling, always be turning the camera around to make sure no one is creeping up on you.

This is also why you better don't try to roll anyone even if he's looking the other way because he might very well be doing that exact same thing and see you coming anyway.

Yhdiste

Inkling
I have been an A+ roller for quite some time (around 1.5 weeks from launch I guess). There seems to be a lot of different pieces of advice.

Personally, I go for the kills instead of focusing on covering area. The first thing I do in a match is setup 3 beacons in safe locations, and after that, I ready the Kraken. I abuse walls a lot, because people still do not seem to realize all the parts where you can climb over a wall, so they think they are safe. They are not accustomed to the fact that players can hide in walls either. Nearly always people they think I ran away, but in reality I'm in the wal above theml getting ready to drop the roller on them like it's the Hammer of Thor.

Like someone else mentioned, even in A+ rank people miss the "corner beacons" very often, so by placing one or two beacons within enemy lines, you often get free access to their back.

The ink fling is the primary attack of the roller, so you should familiarize yourself with the "1-shot distance". You might occasionally roll over someone, but I'd say that's usually accidental, for me at least.

In my opinion Ink Resistance Up in its current state is a must-have for all weapon types (maybe this changes after the patch). The rest of the abilities are up to you, but personally I use Haunt, since majority of players are using Ninja Squid instead of Cold-Blooded (and the roller playstyle is quite risky, so deaths can be common). The upcoming patch might force me to change Haunt to Cold-Blooded though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom