Would people still want custom loadout if it get nerf for balance?

bebopfan

Inkling
Many people that use Roller wish they can have Bubble shield as the special weapon.

If Spltaoon do let you have custom loadout, but will get nerf for balance, is it still worth?

Give Bubble to Roller, but special meter take longer to fill, and Bubble time is shorter,
will those Rollers still want to have this loadout?

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
That's actually a good idea. Hopefully in the future there will be a way to create your own custom weapon with some kind of brand logo. Maybe to circumvent this it would be either really expensive or you have to level it up just like the clothing except maybe more slower.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
You get Kraken on one of the Roller sets, which is a more offensive and faster version of the shield.

FuncDetail

Inkster Jr.
NNID
FuncDetail
I see the Main weapons in Splatoon like fighting game characters. It would be kinda broken if you could switch moves from one character to another, even with nerfs which also sounds a lot of work to implement for programmers too. (Specific nerfs based on a massive number of weapon combination)

Though I would love to see much more main weapons with different sub and special weapons. For sure that there will be more on release. Learning new loadouts over sitting on your own playstyle sounds more interesting and rewarding.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
Eh. As long as the developers have balanced them well enough then they'll each be their own class, giving them their own purpose. Will ultimately be better for the game's design as long as it's balanced. Adding customization just increases the odds of it being screwed up.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
NO customization please. there will be a lot of varietyadded to this game over time. plus, the kraken is the bubbler for rollers and because you can be knocked back while in bubbler, i'd prefer not to have bubbler attached to a roller loadout where it would push you further out of melee/splash range as it would make it pointless.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i really feel like this game is balanced with set loadouts in mind, with some subs and specials tailored for the weapons playstyle in mind, or even creating that weapon's playstyle. for example, because the classic squiffler has the bubbler as its special and point sensor as its sub, it has a very clear role where you have to be an assertive team player, giving players your bubbler on the front line and placing point sensors around area of interest, but its drawback is that it's a charger and it's going to be difficult being aggressive with it. it's designed with high risk and high reward. if you could get a weapon where being aggressive is much safer, like the splattershot's variants, even if all the parts of it have nerfed stats, why not use it? it's an overall net benefit in spite of the nerfs. the same goes if you want to use more passive subs/specials for the squiffler, like an inkmine and inkstrike.

so no, i'm kind of glad loadouts are set. if anything, i hope the splatoon devs continue to make creative loadouts and tweak the ones already in the game that have weird or unhelpful playstyles.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
i personally love the balance i've seen from the people streaming the review copy. there are variants of builds that should appeal to a much broader audience and as i said above, i am sure more will come in the future.

one example i had shown to me today from a reviewer was this...

versus
now aside from high mobility, i am into shotguns and grenade launchers in shooters most of the time. low rate of fire high damage (blaster and .92 gal are on my list too.) I learned that i wouldn't want one over the other of the examples above. both are good and offer something the other doesn't. that said, everything has a different balanced variation sometimes 3 or 4.

of all the chargers, i learned that the only one i'd buy is the squiffer for how fast it charges over the other ones. i know people like playing stationary, i don't personally i am in mid range kiting most of the time that's my playstyle.

the squiffer also offers two flavors one for people who aren't like me and want to be away from the action.

versus

point being, the devs have balanced the game well and put thought into peoples playstyles and it's clear with the varying options we're already given.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm unsure of this. The game seems balanced as it is. I'm fine the way it is currently.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
I'm really not sure what to say. I think it's too early to go one way or another, not without having actually played the game beyond the Testfire demo. I'd honestly want to see how thing shaped up once the full game lands.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Maybe we should wait for the game to be out before we start to speculate/hope for patches.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
No customization, please. The weapon sets are incredibly balanced as it is, which is hard to find in shooters. Customization would ruin that.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
Depends on what route the community wants to go with. Either base classes or would have to go full CoD and ban the "bad for tournament play" weapons/equipment.

Stupid Yoshii

Inkling
NNID
chuckyoshiii
I'm fine with it currently. Like I feel like the game is great as it is in terms load-out balance.

Unknownkid

Inkster Jr.
Hmm... do you guys mind if I play devil's advocate here?

Most of you mention that the weapons are balanced so far... How are you certain about this? The game isn't out yet. I mean based on paper or what we have seen, it looks balance but you never know if a team of Kraken Rollers with Defense +2 and Ninja Squid dominate the metagame within a month or two.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I'm fine with testing out what is already available and moving on from there. We already have customization in the form of gear, I think that in and of itself will drastically change the way people play the same weapons more than enough.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Hmm... do you guys mind if I play devil's advocate here?

Most of you mention that the weapons are balanced so far... How are you certain about this? The game isn't out yet. I mean based on paper or what we have seen, it looks balance but you never know if a team of Kraken Rollers with Defense +2 and Ninja Squid dominate the metagame within a month or two.
It's balanced to what I have seen currently. However, you're correct in that we shouldn't be so sure yet. I'm confident players will find some kind of exploit in this game that will dominate the metagame. There's no such thing as a perfectly balanced multiplayer game.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Definitely do NOT want custom loadouts. There would have to be constant patches for balance, and a few would always end up being broken or better than the rest. (see: League of Legends) The way they are now it seems like Nintendo has purposely set because certain combinations are broken. But who knows at this point, the game hasn't even come out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom